Cat & dog people census

Semiterrestrial Scientist

🐈 🐶   

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, cats or dogs?

• Cats
    • Dogs

This poll is closed to new votes

I am honestly surprised to see that more people are picking cats over dogs. Normally, people tend to prefer dogs over cats when polls such as this are conducted. I am most definitely a cat person however. 😺

Fluffy Femme Guy

CATS!!!! ❤️

I like cats. Cats are great, friendly, nice, easy to understand, and easy to befriend. I've never met a cat I couldn't get along with. They're much easier to read than people once you know their expressions, they're happy to chill in the same room, they're fun to play with, and there's little more comforting than a purring cat.

Of course, I also have a strong phobia of dogs, so I'd pick cats even if I didn't actively like them.

I don't understand why people who prefer dogs seem to feel the need to explain why they hate cats and why dogs are supposedly so much better. They're just different animals. Some people get along better with one or the other. One often needs to work at it to build a friendship with a cat, whereas (apparently?) dogs just automatically bond with their owner no matter how poorly they're treated, but I don't consider that a downside. Really, personal preference aside, the main tradeoff I can see is that you can take dogs with you outside the house more easily (although people really shouldn't take them as many places as they do), whereas cats need less space. Both are also animals with individual personalities, so broad generalisations don't apply very well (for example, I've lost track of the number of cats I've known that people who prefer dogs insist on saying "think they're dogs" because they act in a way that people expect dogs to act with regards to being friendly and/or affectionate; neither one is actually rare for cats).

I like cats, but there's a reason (several, actually) dogs are called "man's best friend." They generally make better service animals than cats. They can be trained to do all sorts of useful jobs and fun tricks. They are rarely mean (unless it's the human's fault). Their affection is unlimited and unconditional. They come in a ridiculous variety of shapes and sizes. And there a fair number of hypoallergenic breeds.

I will say, however, personality is a huge factor and I would take a friendly cat over a jerk dog and vice versa.

On 10/13/2018 at 12:10 PM, Anthraxite_Vampreza said:

I love dogs, I strongly dislike cats. I also don't see the point of cats as pets; they just eat your food, scratch you, bring dead things in the house and then ignore you. Dogs however, are genuinely happy to see you, love you, and want to spend time with you (my dog follows me everywhere, even the bog). Plus, you can take dogs for walks, teach them things, play with them and they will alert you to any intruders (well, most will...).

But I'm still gonna say: snails are 2nd best.

Your experience is far different than mine... my cats do none of the above “negative traits” you mention, and I’ve even taught my cats things, they love me, are happy, want to spend time with me, love playing, and would alert me of any intruders .To judge all cats or dogs as the same is ignorant and uninformed. Every cat has different traits and personalities, so do dogs. At this first impression, I hate to say it, but I’m not a fan of your ignorance.

Most people I’ve met who dislike cats (as a species), are not empathetic or kind with them at all, and simply don’t know how to gain a strong, healthy relationship with a cat, cats are like humans, it takes you to get to know each other, and if they like you, they’ll like you back.

Purple Pumpkin

I am definitely a cat person. I know a lot of people will hate me over this, but I really don't like dogs. I mean, they can be fine as long as they're small and calm and I don't have to take care of them, but I love any and all cats. Even the cats that hate my presence, I still love them. 

I knew which one would be the majority, but I'm still in awe.... Cat people can catch me in an alley.

• 1 year later...

@Semiterrestrial Scientist

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived