Straight People

EmbrAce It

This isn't anything intentionally against straight people or anything, and I apologize if there are any exploring the website looking for a way to connect and support one's s/o or otherwise.

I just find straight people so inexplicably, sometimes irritably, and incessantly weird.

Don't get me wrong. I know a lot of straight people. But I also hang out with a lot of queer people, and it makes the differences starkly obvious.

Their personalities are profusely different. Maybe it's because they don't know how it is to be queer, they're whitewashed (I'm an Asian American), or they don't know the things queer people have gone through in order to be so free in this generation in the more progressive societies in the world. Even I feel the slight personality difference between me before realizing I wasn't technically entirely straight, and myself now.

I also really don't get how straight crushes and romantic entanglements are. I get the science; primary romantic attraction, aesthetic-romantic attractions going hand in hand, hormones, occasionally propinquity. One of the people I thought I was becoming friends with recently told me he likes me, and I'm just here, sitting and thinking about how I can't get close to any straight dude without risking triggering my dysphoria or general discomfort and awkward situation, goshdarnitIjustwantedafriendyoustupidstupidhormones

Straight people dating seems incredibly odd as well. I speak as a demiromantic, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone. It's curiosity.

I suppose I can understand that post-college, you wouldn't be spending every day with the same people and one efficient way to get to know someone romantically is to ask them out or ask for their number and then get to know them through what would be known as a date, which only has that title for people with "first dates" to convey a person's romantic interest but to convey that one must get to know them first before becoming "serious".

Anyway.

That's my rant for the week, though I would love to hear some other similar experiences as well.

Happy Coming Out Day! :)🥞

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

Yeah, I suppose they could come across as odd sometimes. For example, back in late May, I was visiting my grandparents and I was having dinner with them one night at their retirement home. Another man came up and introduced himself. He seemed like a genuinely good fella. The first thing he asked, though, was weather or not I had a girlfriend. I felt awkward, as I didn't want to tell him about me being asexual and aromantic (I'd probably owe him an explanation), so I just said something along the lines of, "I'm not looking for one." Do you think that could be a reason why straight people may come off as weird?

I guess I don't really understand what you mean here. It's the same as anyone of any other sexuality, everyone has their own preferences and acts accordingly.

Are you talking about specifically straight people who are against the lgbt community?

What's the difference between straight people dating and any other sexuality dating, besides who's with who?

I also really don't get how straight crushes and romantic entanglements are.

For me (as another demiromantic), it's pretty simple in my own head.  Dunno how simple it will be to try to convey it to someone else, but basically what it comes down to is that the personality traits that I find more endearing about a person are just typically better expressed from those of the opposite sex, whereas the personality traits that I find more repulsive are typically better expressed from that of my own.  This has resulted in me growing to befriend more people of the opposite sex rather than my own, and since my friend pool is pretty much the only group of people that I might feel a romantic attachment toward... simple to draw a conclusion there.

I suppose I can understand that post-college, you wouldn't be spending every day with the same people and one efficient way to get to know someone romantically is to ask them out or ask for their number and then get to know them through what would be known as a date,

Thankfully, for me anyway, having no real need for physical attachment, these days the internet has made keeping up with someone even over a distance piss easy, assuming both people actually want to.

6 hours ago, SweetTart said:

I guess I don't really understand what you mean here. It's the same as anyone of any other sexuality, everyone has their own preferences and acts accordingly.

Are you talking about specifically straight people who are against the lgbt community?

What's the difference between straight people dating and any other sexuality dating, besides who's with who?

I didn't clarify, I apologize.

I'm demiromantic and have always found dating weird in general, especially the kind initiated by primary romantic attraction or romantic attraction that is linked to primary aesthetic and/or sensual attraction and/or some sort of personality that seems nice to a person. I don't mean to judge anyone who possesses the ability to feel those things, I'm just weirded out by it and am often confused how that makes sense to other people, even if I've been surrounded by it since I got to fifth grade. Someone I know has eight crushes all at once, all of them rooted to some degree in aesthetic attraction, and for me I wouldn't understand how that works, but each to their own. She probably wouldn't get how I "restrain myself" from having crushes on every person I find cute, and in turn I don't understand her usage of the word "hot".

I didn't intend to imply that all not-cishet people initiate romance in a different way than the straight people relationships I've encountered.

That's all. :)

Archived