mreid

[non-aces only] Do you feel like your body is part of your identity? (poll)

Do you see your body as part of your identity?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that your physical body doesn't match how you see yourself psychologically and/or are you non-cis?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. You experience your dreams mostly...

• In the 3rd person (but my body is the same as my waking one)
    • In the 3rd person (but my body is different from my waking one/ partially different)
    • In the 1st person (but my body is different/ partially different)
    • In the 1st person (but I can't see my body/ don't know if it's different of not)
    • In the 1st person (but my body is the same as my waking one)
  3. 3. Your sexual fantasies are...

• In the 1st person
    • In the 3rd person and I participate in them
    • In the 3rd person but I don't participate in them
    • I don't have sexual fantasies / N/a
  4. 4. Do you have low self-esteem / body image issues?

• Yes
    • Moderately so
    • No/ very few
  5. 5. Are you prone to dissociation and/ or depersonalization?

• Yes to both
    • Yes to dissociation
    • Yes to depersonalization
    • No to both
  6. 6. Do you feel like you inhabit your body rather than see it as part of you? (from @Moon Spirit's thread, see OP)

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Which of the following are accurate?

• I self-harm
    • My looks changed a lot over the years
    • I was an ugly duckling
    • Have trouble picturing myself/ parts of myself in my mind/ aphantasia-like symptoms
    • None
  8. 8. Do you have depression?

• Yes
    • No
  9. 9. Do you feel like a part of who you are is being rejected if a partner doesn't feel attracted to your body?

• Yes
    • No

FictoCannibal.

I'll respond properly when I get the chance hopefully later today. I don't want to rush my response but have a house inspection in a couple of days so am only visiting AVEN quickly on my phone and typed some rushed phone responses. I'd rather respond on my comp as these questions are important to me because they're about the other half of our lives (the half that happens with our physical eyes closed). Just please no one get the thread locked before I can respond like what happened with the other thread, lol. :P:cake:

• Like 1

mreid
2 hours ago, FictoCannibal. said:

Just please no one get the thread locked before I can respond like what happened with the other thread, lol. :P:cake:

Ha ha.

tyt

• Like 1

DesertWells
15 minutes ago, mreid said:

@DesertWells I met a guy who told me he dreamt in a similar way, he said that when he changed to the other body it felt to him like "wearing a mask". Do you feel the same way?

Possibly 🤔 like my consciousness jumping into his body. So yes, I guess mask would be appropriate.

• Like 2

mreid

@DesertWells So you are not exactly like Ficto, because you know where you are or there is something you identify as being you or controlled by you. In Ficto's case she is everywhere at the same time.

mreid

@DesertWells And also you are only one person at one time, Ficto can be several at once. In your dream when you saw both the woman and the astronaut at the same time in 3rd person did you feel you controlled both at the same time, or only one at once?

Aimie

It personally reminds me the "John Malkovich" movie 🤣; this is the story of someone who goes (by a weird and magic system) into strangers bodies, and he should accustom to. Long time I saw this movie so I hope my description is exact but it's the theme ^^

• Like 1

DesertWells
1 hour ago, mreid said:

@DesertWells So you are not exactly like Ficto, because you know where you are or there is something you identify as being you or controlled by you. In Ficto's case she is everywhere at the same time.

There are times when I’m like a fly-on-the-wall as I said before, as if I’m just a floating camera watching a movie. But when I was talking about 1st/3rd person POV, I wasn’t considering fly-on-the-wall as either, because I’m not attached to anyone’s perspective when that’s happening. In literary terms, you’d call it omniscient POV.

But yes, I am only ever one person at once, and I switch between them. Switching characters is fairly uncommon for me though, but I do switch POV a lot, even to omniscient.

mreid
6 hours ago, DesertWells said:

But when I was talking about 1st/3rd person POV, I wasn’t considering fly-on-the-wall as either, because I’m not attached to anyone’s perspective when that’s happening. In literary terms, you’d call it omniscient POV.

I think I have experienced that. @FictoCannibal. do you find this relatable?

@Serran I will reply to your post tomorrow, I have been quite busy.

mreid

This is probably going to derail this thread again, but I this just occurred to me:

If what creates that bond and trust of intimacy is making yourself vulnerable and seeing that the other person doesn't hurt you, then choosing someone to do it with who you are pretty sure won't hurt you seems pretty self-defeating, unless this bond comes from an "unknown" factor in that you can't be completely sure the other person won't hurt you. So this bond comes from seeing faith pay off and from a certain thrill.

However, what this implies is that unless the "unknown" factor / thrill is there, there is no bonding. So if you are with the same person for too long, or with someone you know too well or who doesn't intimidate you at all and you become pretty sure they won't hurt you, the unpredictability factor disappears and if intimacy is your most powerful way of bonding then you won't be able to bond anymore. Which implies that if someone else comes along who can provide that "thrill" the relationship can be replaced, because the existing bond is situational, so whoever can provide the experience can also provide the bond.

This reminds me of something the Red Pill guys/ PUAs complain about (I am just the messenger...) that they feel they need to keep a woman perpetually entertained and on her toes and never let her get to know them too well or she will get bored. Which is why they "spin plates". A lot of PUA strategy is about faking that "thrill" to trick women.

ryn2

I think that’s true for some people in a way (they get bored easily and while it may not be that they can’t bond when bored whatever’s left isn’t enough), but I don’t think it’s women-specific (I’ve actually known more men like that than I have women) or universal.

If men are more likely to do it/have it happen, I suppose they could expect the same from women though.