New Publication Considers Asexuality's Challenge to Normative Sexual Scripts!

Pramana

There's a new journal article that considers asexual experience and identity as a challenge to normative sexual scripts. Here's the abstract:

"Sexual desire is often assumed to be natural and universally experienced by all adult human beings. The lived experiences of asexual individuals, however, are beginning to challenge this assumption. The purpose of this research is to gain a better understanding of asexual experience and identity. This study employed life story interviews with ten self-identified asexual individuals. Results show that asexuality is far more complicated than just a lack of sexual attraction. Respondents in this study arrived at an asexual identity after a discovery process, one that involved research on various sexualities. Participants report discovering an identity that “fit” through research on digital mediums, with Reddit being particularly influential. Several respondents reported trouble with their gender identity, particularly the set of sexual expectations that were hitched to their respective gender expressions. Many respondents noted that they were often assumed to be homosexual. Several participants described their “coming out” process as very similarly aligned with homosexual disclosure. Most respondents first had sexual encounters before realizing their asexual orientation. All respondents experienced relationships, community, connection and romance on their own terms, in unique and creative ways. This group of participants were by no means isolated. Indeed, all interviewees reported involvement in strong communities and many respondents experienced support from others. That said, several respondents did endure resistance, denial and pathologizing reactions from other people, including family members. The insights from this study challenge the normative ways we imagine sexuality, romance and attraction."

Mitchell, Heather, and Gwen Hunnicutt. "Challenging Accepted Scripts of Sexual 'Normality': Asexual Narratives of Non‐normative Identity and Experience." Sexuality & Culture 0. no. 0 (2018): 1-18.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12119-018-9567-6

To Each Their Own

Hmm, this sounds like a great article. Sadly, I don’t have $40 USD laying around or I would buy the PDF so I could read it.

59 minutes ago, To Each Their Own said:

Hmm, this sounds like a great article. Sadly, I don’t have $40 USD laying around or I would buy the PDF so I could read it.

Yes. I've thought this, too. 😞

There are quite a few college students on AVEN, so, perhaps their college/institution might have a subscription, where they'll be able to read it.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, To Each Their Own said:

I costs $15 to "rent" and I'm incredibly tempted. If I do I'll take screenshots. 

To Each Their Own
45 minutes ago, Hölle said:

I costs $15 to "rent" and I'm incredibly tempted. If I do I'll take screenshots. 

My interest is now illegally enticed! Yeah, I would read the hell out of those screen shots. LOL 🤣

Archived