What's your favourite non-English word(s)

Cheshire-Cat

1 minute ago, daveb said:

There are plenty of words in languages that don't have exact cognates in other languages. Sometimes a language will borrow the other word and incorporate it for that very reason. English has done that a lot. :) 

Just to take a well known example, German has the word, schadenfreude. English has no equivalent (so English is adopting the German word).

It means "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune." What one word in English would you use to mean the same thing?

Just seems odd to me that we don’t have equivalents, maybe we need to get some.

10 minutes ago, Bio 7 said:

Just seems odd to me that we don’t have equivalents, maybe we need to get some.

We are getting some. That's what English does maybe better than many other languages. :D 

5 hours ago, daveb said:

Practically every word can be translated into a sentence - that's what most dictionaries do. :D ...

Ha, ha, :lol: good one.

4 hours ago, daveb said:

We are getting some ...

Ha, ha, I do think most of us here on Aven are not very keen on “getting some”. 🤣

9 hours ago, daveb said:

There are plenty of words in languages that don't have exact cognates in other languages. Sometimes a language will borrow the other word and incorporate it for that very reason. English has done that a lot. :) ...

Yes, Dutch does that a lot too (sometimes changing the word a little bit as well), e.g. gitaar (guitar) from Spanish, eenzaam (lonely) German, decor French. Mostly from English these days, e-mail and cake 🍰

I like Kakerlake (=cockroach) and Schlaraffenland (approximately equivalent to Cockaigne), I also like adieu

I also like the word Zwetschge, but technically Zwetschge is called Zwetschge in English, but in some places people call plums in general Zwetschgen, so maybe that counts... 

(all words except "adieu" are German, and all of them I like because of the way they sound/feel to say)

A few of my faves:

Lebensmüde - "life-weary"

Fernweh - "far-sickness"/wanderlust

Leuchtturm - lighthouse

My newest favorite non English word is Hiraeth, its a Welsh word that ruffly translates as: Yearning or home sickness for a home that is lost, to which you cannot return or a home that never was.

I quite like the word "nesmírně". It means "immensely" and I think.. well, I think that Czech languegue forgets how wide and interesting and full of words it is. It's a pity we don't talk like poets more often, it would make the world certainly a more interesting place :'D

10 hours ago, Kia9Mera said:

Yearning for a home that never was.

I have felt that.

ArchangelAlbatross
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Kia Hiraeth said:

My newest favorite non English word is Hiraeth, its a Welsh word that ruffly translates as: Yearning or home sickness for a home that is lost, to which you cannot return or a home that never was.

I've always loved that word, and my mother was Welsh.  But it's one of those rare words I've been able to say may almost translate my own sense of homesickness.  It's just hard to describe a strange haunting feeling in that sense.

DazzlingGirl16

I'm not Catholic (I'm actually Christian); but my favorite word/phrase is "Mea culpa" which means "Through my fault" in Latin.

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite Japanese and Chinese is…

肉 牛肉 ラーメン 辣油 ハンバーガー 

their means is

meat, beef, noodle, oil made by red pepper and other , hamburger

Some of my favorite latin words:
castra - camp

incolo - cherish, cultivate, or inhabit

occido - kill or die

I love Dutch nouns ending with "ke" or "eke". The function of "ke/eke" is to change the regular noun into a diminutive. Whereas diminutives ending with "je", "tje" and "pje" are much more common, "ke/eke" sounds much sweeter.

I especially like words ending in "ske", for example "hoekske" (=corner) or "meiske" (=girl).

De omnibus dubitium (everything must be doubted) is a very good one and wise.

Schadenfreude is always useful 

Rogntudju, which is of no language at all, but was created by the artist Franquin for the Gaston Lagaffe comic in the French language hebdo Spirou is a handy insult 

Nekulturny from Russian is a sophisticated way of describing someone as crass 

For some reason I've been finding the word "suokotilo" really pleasant lately; just the word "kotilo" is pretty fun too. But especially suokotilo.

Ms. Carolynne

Milchgesicht. It's a German insult which translates to "baby face", it translates literally to "milk face".

Waltersobchakeit

(Valt-er-sob-share-kite)

it is German and it means

You are not wrong, just as asshole. 

I love it because I can say it all the time and no one knows what it means

Escargot - I find this so pretty to be the name of a snail.

Kuruizaki (means out of season flower)

Hobeok (yes it means pumpkin)

Sicaria (💀)

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much one word. but my favorite non english phrase is, Tuatha Dé Danann, which is Gaelic for: The People of the Goddess Danu. I'm obsessed with mythology and came across this phrase when taking a mythology course in college and the phrase just jumped out at me. I found the words so beautiful that I would say it all the time just to feel the the sound of each word roll off my tongue, no idea why really, but it's always stuck with me.

.diva plavalaguna.

なるほど (naruhodo)- Introduced to me by one of my sensei on study abroad trip. The way she taught it was really funny, and it somehow became a running joke in our group. I'll link for the meaning because I suck at explaining things. click me for learn

нет (net/nyet)- "No." I just like to say no.

я/не знаю (ya/ne znayu)- "I don't know." I frequently say it to my mom when she asks me a question. She's always like, "whuat??" rofl 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ms. Carolynne said:

Milchgesicht. It's a German insult which translates to "baby face", it translates literally to "milk face".

Yes, that's quite a wonderful word :D

On 11/4/2018 at 7:35 PM, Loud Shy said:

Waltersobchakeit

(Valt-er-sob-share-kite)

it is German and it means

You are not wrong, just as asshole. 

I love it because I can say it all the time and no one knows what it means

I'm a native German speaker ... and I'm trying to figure out which word you might mean. Where did you hear it?

Edit: OK, the riddle is solved - thanks to Google. ^_^ Apparently, Waltersobchakeit is based on a character in The Big Lebowski, Walter Sobchak. No idea how this name turned into a fake German word, though.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

alsjeblieft or its more formal version, alstublieft

both simply mean "please". so if you say "please" in Dutch, you will win my heart.

Archived