What's your favourite non-English word(s)

Cheshire-Cat

Captain_Tass
28 minutes ago, Alan Degas said:

Perkele

Oh, I was just thinking of that!

Time to drop a random Greek word!

"Πορδόβαζο". It means "fart jar". That's it. That's all.

I'm really not using my language to its full potential, but hey.

Oh, I also like the word "электроэнергя" in Russian. It means "electrical energy" (and it's also the name of a song from one of my favorite Russian bands, Конец Электроники)

J. van Deijck
On 11/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, Koning said:

I love Dutch nouns ending with "ke" or "eke". The function of "ke/eke" is to change the regular noun into a diminutive. Whereas diminutives ending with "je", "tje" and "pje" are much more common, "ke/eke" sounds much sweeter.

I especially like words ending in "ske", for example "hoekske" (=corner) or "meiske" (=girl).

poesje 😂😍

OtakuAce2004

I like: ‘pamplemousse’ - French for grapefruit

’ornatrix’ - latin for hair dresser

and I also like:

毛绒绒的 - mao rong rong de, Mandarin for fluffy

and I love writing:

漂亮 - piao liang, Mandarin for beautiful 

OtakuAce2004

Languages in general are just beautiful. ( 😂 well they can be). I love Mandarin and Japanese as the writing and pronunciation is just wonderful and I’d love to learn Irish.

GentlemanCambrioleur

Saudade. Beautiful word: Melancholy/nostalgia specific to a Portuguese/Brazilian temperament. 

“Tak”, which means “roof” in Norwegian, “thank you” in Danish and “yes” in Polish. Marvellous.

Asexual_Goddess

My favorite phrase is “Koonyah mahlyass koong!”, or you weak minded fool in huttese (Star Wars)

"Вам нужно решить три примера", or "You need to solve three examples". It's the first Russian phrase I learned to speak, thanks to a live-action parody of Baldi's Basics.

chairdesklamp

I don't have a favourite word per se, in any language I know a lot of words in, but I do find myself said "My native language (Japanese) has a single word for this, but (six-word term)" in English WAY more often than I say it going the other way (which is basically never). And you see how fluent my English is, it's just that Japanese has more words or something. 

On 4/20/2019 at 5:41 PM, chairdesklamp said:

I don't have a favourite word per se, in any language I know a lot of words in, but I do find myself said "My native language (Japanese) has a single word for this, but (six-word term)" in English WAY more often than I say it going the other way (which is basically never). And you see how fluent my English is, it's just that Japanese has more words or something. 

I have the opposite problem. My native language definitely has less words than English, so I find myself making embarassing mistakes like mixing up "rug", "carpet" and "blanket". They are all the same word in my native tongue but it doesn't sound close to any one of them.

Twisted Tempest

I love the Latin name for a Venus Fly Trap, "Dionea Muscipula".

Craciun Fericit  -Romanian for Merry Christmas.   

Said this a lot when I went on a mission trip there. It's a fun word to say and pretty much the only thing I knew to say besides "thanks!", "hello", and "My name is..."  ("mulțumesc", "salut", and "ma numesc...")

Meylnaerdbier

Backpfeifengesicht = a German word for a face that really needs to be hit

(it's pronounced like this: baah-k-pfei-fen-gez-icht (note: ch in German is pronounced the the sound that you make at the beginning of the word huge, if that even makes any sense))

Archived