Cheshire-Cat

UK Teresa May's post-brexit immigration policy

Skycaptain
55 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I checked that out online and I couldn't quite believe how cringeworthy and naive it is. It contains the words "friendship with all nations". Well, United Kingdom, I am sorry to be blunt but friendship must be mutual between two parties. And considering that you have upset a few nations recently, it is possible that they may no longer want to be friends with you. 

@Ortac, I don't know of any nation who wants to be friends with us. Our population have, via the ballot box, portrayed us as xenophobic, isolationist, racist, insular. Our politicians portray us as naïve, dithering, arrogant, incompetent, two-faced. Britain's overseas portray us as drunken thugs.

Half of the world has the hump because we sell weapons to the other half. 

Telecaster68
45 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Ortac, I don't know of any nation who wants to be friends with us. Our population have, via the ballot box, portrayed us as xenophobic, isolationist, racist, insular. Our politicians portray us as naïve, dithering, arrogant, incompetent, two-faced. Britain's overseas portray us as drunken thugs.

There are plenty of them who want to be friends with us, just not enough to overlook the economic downside to the extent they'll ignore more advantageous arrangements with other people. 

Ortac
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Britain's overseas portray us as drunken thugs.

I had on reflection thought I was perhaps a bit harsh and impetuous with my earlier comment, so I should say something nice in addition.

I guess you are referring there to those 18-30 people who go to the Spanish Costas and the Balearic Islands, and they indeed do not have a good reputation. Generally in France though, the British are usually perceived quite positively. Those that come here on holiday here are generally the ones that are not xenophobic or insular and they do so because they like France and its people at least to some degree (the exception being many of the people who come soley to go to Disneyland Paris). There are other European nationalities who have a reputation in France for conducting themselves in a manner which is far more disrespectful than the Brits usually do.

I still nevertheless think it is a naive idea for Britain to believe that it can be friends with all nations. More realistically, the situation will be similar to where you have a work colleague that you don’t particularly like and would never consider them a friend, but you have to work with them, stay amicable, and act in a professional manner because the hassle you will make for yourself if you don’t is not worth the trouble.

timewarp

You're missing the point. The coin only says "friendship with all nations", but the full Thomas Jefferson quote is "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none".

Skycaptain

Oh well, the divided party which has divided the nation are paying the price. The way things are going today there won't be enough swords in the House of Commons for them all to fall on. Two down, far too many to go. A collapse of government may be the only way to stop this clusterfuck

timewarp

It's been a fairly fast learning process for Dominic Raab. From learning about the existence of the Calais-Dover trade route to resigning in about a week.

• Like 1

Telecaster68

Has he resigned? So not all bad then.

• Like 1

Telecaster68

Am I the only one who was predicting we'd end up pretty much exactly here from straight after the vote?

• Like 1

Sally
On 11/15/2018 at 1:05 AM, Skycaptain said:

A collapse of government may be the only way to stop this clusterfuck

Many in the US are thinking that also.  Unfortunately, we don't have the form of government you have; we must suffer for another two years while the Buffoon wreaks more havoc.  

• Like 2

Telecaster68

Theoretically it's easier but the politics of the situation make it unlikely.

At least, under normal circumstances, which in our case we do not have.

Skycaptain

Esther Mcvey has gone as well 

timewarp

This thread is turning into the Rainbow Goat thread, but might not stop at five.

(I expect Penny Mordaunt will be the next.)

• Like 1

Telecaster68

How many can May take, do you think?

timewarp

I find it increasingly credible that there are actually 48 letters now and the way things are going I'm not so sure she would survive a vote of confidence. So I guess she's already done.

timewarp

Suella Braverman.

ben8884
20 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

How many can May take, do you think?

I reckon May will will stay on until Brexit, resign and then spend the rest of her life writing memoirs and giving speeches to the extent of she was dealt a bad hand. And there is some truth to that I mean, for all of the politicians knocking her, I do not see Johnson or even Farage that matter coming up with better ideas for Brexit. That being said, bad hand though it may have been shes the one who went up to the table and picked it up. 

Telecaster68

She's lost the DUP so if she's seriously weakened, by Gove refusing to become Brexit Secretary for instance, it's possible there might be an election cum referendum on the deal.

I must just be getting over excited though.

• Like 1

Cheshire-Cat

They only managed to hold the government due to the DUP and they have no real majority without them. So they'll struggle to get anything through parliament without them.

Skycaptain

Let's all vote SNP, they seem to be the only party who aren't (publicly at any rate) divided on this issue 😋 😋 

Anthracite_Impreza

I actually feel sorry for our Theresa, she looks one question away from a nervous breakdown.

• Like 1

Telecaster68

When she first became PM, someone described as looking like a supply teacher who knew she couldn't control her class.

• Like 3

Skycaptain
1 hour ago, Telecaster68 said:

When she first became PM, someone described as looking like a supply teacher who knew she couldn't control her class.

One teacher cannot control two classes simultaneously 

• Like 2

Ortac

I wonder if these parliamentarians who are resigning and throwing their toys out of the pram have all read every page of the 500 page document...

• Like 1

chandrakirti
On 11/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, Skycaptain said:

I hate to have to say this @Skycaptain, but that's why, when I go abroad, I always say I'm Scottish, not British! No offence intended, I just have a better time that way.

37 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

One teacher cannot control two classes simultaneously 

In Scotland that's called 'Holding the cat while playing with the kitten'...very apt considering your hall carpet!😋

• Like 1

Ortac

Given the circumstances, I think Theresa May has worked bloody hard and done the absolute best job she can in an extremely crappy situation, and quite frankly I don't understand what those vehement objectors expect her to do. They moan about the UK still being tied to certain European regulations, but if the open border is to be maintained with the Republic of Ireland, there has to be an element of that. The only alternative if they want complete disassociation with European rules is that there must be a controlled border. That is required under WTO rules. One of these things is going to have to give, because it is legally and logistically impossible for an open border and no obligation to follow common rules to coexist. Theresa May is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, because whatever she does, there will be vociferous idiots screaming that it is not acceptable.

Anthracite_Impreza

@Ortac I don't like May, cos she's a Tory, and I hate Tories on principle, but I agree with that. The hardcore Brexiteers are the sort of blokes who expect to get their own way all the time; they're all posh twats who've always got what they wanted so they can't understand why they can't now.

• Like 1

iff
2 hours ago, Ortac said:

I wonder if these parliamentarians who are resigning and throwing their toys out of the pram have all read every page of the 500 page document...

According to Irish times, the DUP hadn't.

2 hours ago, Ortac said:

Given the circumstances, I think Theresa May has worked bloody hard and done the absolute best job she can in an extremely crappy situation, and quite frankly I don't understand what those vehement objectors expect her to do. They moan about the UK still being tied to certain European regulations, but if the open border is to be maintained with the Republic of Ireland, there has to be an element of that. The only alternative if they want complete disassociation with European rules is that there must be a controlled border. That is required under WTO rules. One of these things is going to have to give, because it is legally and logistically impossible for an open border and no obligation to follow common rules to coexist. Theresa May is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, because whatever she does, there will be vociferous idiots screaming that it is not acceptable.

On twitter last week, I saw a tweet "the problem with brexit isn't may, the problem with brexit is brexit"

It is a very difficult trying to make the brexit deal, so I think she did the best that she could do.

1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

@Ortac I don't like May, cos she's a Tory, and I hate Tories on principle, but I agree with that. The hardcore Brexiteers are the sort of blokes who expect to get their own way all the time; they're all posh twats who've always got what they wanted so they can't understand why they can't now.

Listening to Jacob Rees mogg's ideal deal, I got the impression mogg's ideal deal was the equivalent of leaving your spouse and still keeping access to all their books (or sex with them for sexuals, both for some sexuals) without having any of the parts of the relationship you didn't like.

Mogg, ran (who negotiated the deal) the ni minister who no one knew was the minister (I thought Karen Bradley was the main person for the ni office) etc etc

There was no deal that may could get that would have satisfied them.

• Like 1

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, iff said:

Listening to Jacob Rees mogg's ideal deal, I got the impression mogg's ideal deal was the equivalent of leaving your spouse and still keeping access to all their books (or sex with them for sexuals, both for some sexuals) without having any of the parts of the relationship you didn't like.

Perfect metaphor.

• Like 1

Skycaptain

What they should do is realise that Brexit is unworkable, as good for the country as a crack cocaine habit, and stay in 

• Like 1