UK Teresa May's post-brexit immigration policy

Cheshire-Cat

There's going to be a no-confidence vote tomorrow.  May is probably doomed.  

Whatever you may think of Mrs May, nobody can deny that she has had the most difficult job of any UK prime minister since world war 2. I don't know what these rebels expect her to do. She has worked bloody hard with a thankless task and done the best she can in the crazy circumstances that she inherited. And now, at a time when the economy of the UK is at very real risk of going off a cliff edge in less than four months time, there is infighting, votes of no confidence, and potentially leadership contests! It is seriously appalling.

22 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Despite the media reporting, it's not actually officially confirmed, yet. And she could win anyway. Nothing about this seems predictable. 

It is confirmed. I've just seen Graham Brady's official press release.

44 minutes ago, rudolph the timewarp said:

There's only one way out, and like in every classic tragedy it will never happen - change the voting system to a proportional one, so people have a realistic chance to be represented in parliament. Without that the infighting in both the main parties, in particular the Tories, will never stop.

Agreed,  the UK voting system is appalling. I hold the controversial opinion (and especially so as I am a foreigner) that the UK is not a true democracy. It is a pseudo democracy. Because first past the post is not democratic.

There is certainly no proportional representation over the brexit issue. There was 48% of voters who didn't want it, and they are being completely ignored.

The removal of Theresa May won't make much difference. We'd still have a divided government who don't care what's best for the country 

50 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

But it might, might just spark an election....

Trouble is May might win an election and even if she doesn't can Corbyn or another Tory do any better? Even Corbyn was unsure he would win just yesterday. This is crap, we need a vote on Brexit first and then deal with this other nonsense later. This is not the time for this crap. 

Just say that Labour got us into the financial mess, Conservatives got us into the political mess, UKIP split the country in two, so disenfranchise anyone who has been a member of any of these parties first 😋 😋 

Hey, Brexiteers of England. As it's fast approaching pantomime season for you guys right now, this is for you:

Where's your economy? Where's your future? 

Spoiler

IT'S BEHIND YOU!

Anthracite_Impreza

I genuinely do still feel sorry for May, but she deserves it for being a Tory so... No politician gives a shit about a council-estate living, disabled benefit-scrounger like me anyway, so I'm fucked regardless.

Anthracite_Impreza
4 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Some do. I've met them. They just don't often get into power. 

Which just goes to prove the primary aim of politics is to preserve the status quo ;) 

Anthracite_Impreza
4 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

But then the status quo includes things like 'no civil war' which is probably a good thing.

Not if you're a fan of Captain America ;) 

May will most likely survive the confidence vote. The question is, will anyone challenge her for leadership? More Tory nonsense-give us a vote on the deal!

Apparently shes not running in the next election. Listening to Hestletine and running a scenario in my head of a Britain in a parallel world where Hestletine became PM in 1991. 

May won 200 to 117. Rees-Mogg is basically claiming its rigged as most MPs are secretaries and envoys and therefor on the PM's payroll. 

Another point was raised was while the majority of Tories have confidence in her, they still have not changed their vote on her Brexit deal. 

I'd imagine she won because a leadership contest at this point in time is moronic and, quite frankly, Theresa May is right: if you change the PM now, there won't be a Brexit deal even if the EU turns around and offers its head on a plate. 

Rees-Mogg is starting to remind me of what Brexiteers think Remainers are like - he doesn't like the result so he's throwing his toys out of the pram to change it. If he thought it'd be rigged, why did he start the whole thing off? It's not as though the process was invented this morning so he would have known it could be "rigged" beforehand.  

4 hours ago, ben8884 said:

Apparently shes not running in the next election.

Not quite. What she said is that she's not running in a 2022 election. If there's an early election she might well run and if it happens within the next year there's now not even anything to stop her.

So after all this, we are exactly where we were before-a vote on Brexit that the PM refuses to give Parliament and a Parliament that wouldn't know what to do with the results even if it got it. Time for a 3rd referendum!

She won the confidence vote by a clear margin

Yeah but this was not a victory for May. She basically won a vote she was expected to win by about 43 votes. She still has to submit her deal through Parliament and many Conservatives are not going to back it. Little has changed and this confidence vote was in many ways a waste of time. I say its time for referendum III 

Wasn't the core issue of Brexit (and this thread) about immigration?  I hear almost nothing about that now.  It seems to devolved into a clusterfuck of politicians trying to make the best of a very bad decision by the British people.  But the politicians who were in favor of Brexit in the first place have no idea how to make it work.  May survived her vote today because she is determined to make Brexit happen.

By the way, what does MP stand for?  My Parliamentarian?

33 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

By the way, what does MP stand for?

I think it's Member of Parliament.

8 hours ago, ben8884 said:

Time for a 3rd referendum!

Have there already been two on this issue? I thought there had only been one referendum so far. 

The danger of that is that if they allow another referendum with "no deal" as a possible option, that would be a huge, huge risk, because there could be enough people who would be stupid enough and arrogant enough to vote for that. Nobody who actually understands how business works and how the economy works and how it affects everyone would in their right mind want that, but most people are not very knowledgeable on such matters. 

The reason that immigration isn't mentioned is because it really was a non-issue. 

It was a combination of Putin, aided and abetted by UKIP and the British media who codded the gullible and the inherently racist into believing that if we voted remain then every Muslim in Asia Minor would invade Britain with an asylum application in one hand and a semtex overcoat in the other. 

5 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Wasn't the core issue of Brexit (and this thread) about immigration?  I hear almost nothing about that now.  It seems to devolved into a clusterfuck of politicians trying to make the best of a very bad decision by the British people.  But the politicians who were in favor of Brexit in the first place have no idea how to make it work.  May survived her vote today because she is determined to make Brexit happen.

By the way, what does MP stand for?  My Parliamentarian?

You haven't heard about immigration recently? Well, let me help you on that.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/12/chinese-women-trafficked-uk-failed-home-office-medical

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asylum-seekers-home-office-zimbabwe-immigration-embassy-political-persecution-africa-a8675571.html

This is the kind of thing the Home Office has been doing ever since Theresa May became home secretary. You'll surely also have heard about what happened to people of the Windrush generation and their descendants. If British politicians had any decency, this woman would not be allowed to be Prime Minister.

55 minutes ago, Sleighcaptain said:

The reason that immigration isn't mentioned is because it really was a non-issue. 

It was a combination of Putin, aided and abetted by UKIP and the British media who codded the gullible and the inherently racist into believing that if we voted remain then every Muslim in Asia Minor would invade Britain with an asylum application in one hand and a semtex overcoat in the other. 

In my opinion it is actually a very big issue because large chunks of the governing party pursue anti-immigrant policies. Just a few days ago a Tory MP demanded that it should be made easier to deport EU citizens.

3 hours ago, Ortac said:

Have there already been two on this issue? I thought there had only been one referendum so far. 

The danger of that is that if they allow another referendum with "no deal" as a possible option, that would be a huge, huge risk, because there could be enough people who would be stupid enough and arrogant enough to vote for that. Nobody who actually understands how business works and how the economy works and how it affects everyone would in their right mind want that, but most people are not very knowledgeable on such matters. 

The first referendum was held in 1975. Britain joined under Heath in 1973, then in 1974 Labour came to power and decided that there should be a referendum. So this would be the third.

i dunno, a majority now supports remain.

Anthracite_Impreza

I'd say another referendum is the only option now; she can't get the deal through, she can't renegotiate and we're quickly running out of time.

Of course, that would be the sensible option, so it probably won't happen.

I read something interesting somewhere; I am sorry I can't remember where or what the source was so I can't attest to the accuracy of this, but it stated that by January 2019, if there was another public vote along the same lines as the 2016 vote, and assuming that nobody at all had changed their minds, the result would swing the other way in favour of remain.

The reason for this is that the young more favoured remain whilst the elderly favoured leave. When you take into account  the number of leave voters from 2016 who will have died by January 2019, and the number of young people supporting remain who were too young to be allowed to vote in the 2016 vote but who have since turned 18, this would be enough to swing the result the other way. 

6 hours ago, ben8884 said:

The first referendum was held in 1975. Britain joined under Heath in 1973, then in 1974 Labour came to power and decided that there should be a referendum. So this would be the third.

i dunno, a majority now supports remain.

They thought before the last referendum that a majority supported remain and that was wrong.

I think people would vote No Deal without realising what that meant. Not sure a referedndum at this stage is feasible

Whatever happens-and at this stage no deal Brexit seems most likely, I think that British trust in Parliament will be at an all time low and the country will be more divided since the invasion of Iraq. At this point there is nothing to be lost by a third referendum-people already think the government is incompetent and the nation has already been torn apart. At least a referendum on the deal puts some power back into the hands of the people.  

Archived