UK Teresa May's post-brexit immigration policy

Cheshire-Cat

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Britain's overseas portray us as drunken thugs.

I had on reflection thought I was perhaps a bit harsh and impetuous with my earlier comment, so I should say something nice in addition.

I guess you are referring there to those 18-30 people who go to the Spanish Costas and the Balearic Islands, and they indeed do not have a good reputation. Generally in France though, the British are usually perceived quite positively. Those that come here on holiday here are generally the ones that are not xenophobic or insular and they do so because they like France and its people at least to some degree (the exception being many of the people who come soley to go to Disneyland Paris). There are other European nationalities who have a reputation in France for conducting themselves in a manner which is far more disrespectful than the Brits usually do.

I still nevertheless think it is a naive idea for Britain to believe that it can be friends with all nations. More realistically, the situation will be similar to where you have a work colleague that you don’t particularly like and would never consider them a friend, but you have to work with them, stay amicable, and act in a professional manner because the hassle you will make for yourself if you don’t is not worth the trouble.

You're missing the point. The coin only says "friendship with all nations", but the full Thomas Jefferson quote is "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none".

Oh well, the divided party which has divided the nation are paying the price. The way things are going today there won't be enough swords in the House of Commons for them all to fall on. Two down, far too many to go. A collapse of government may be the only way to stop this clusterfuck

It's been a fairly fast learning process for Dominic Raab. From learning about the existence of the Calais-Dover trade route to resigning in about a week.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:05 AM, Skycaptain said:

A collapse of government may be the only way to stop this clusterfuck

Many in the US are thinking that also.  Unfortunately, we don't have the form of government you have; we must suffer for another two years while the Buffoon wreaks more havoc.  

Esther Mcvey has gone as well 

This thread is turning into the Rainbow Goat thread, but might not stop at five.

(I expect Penny Mordaunt will be the next.)

I find it increasingly credible that there are actually 48 letters now and the way things are going I'm not so sure she would survive a vote of confidence. So I guess she's already done.

20 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

How many can May take, do you think?

I reckon May will will stay on until Brexit, resign and then spend the rest of her life writing memoirs and giving speeches to the extent of she was dealt a bad hand. And there is some truth to that I mean, for all of the politicians knocking her, I do not see Johnson or even Farage that matter coming up with better ideas for Brexit. That being said, bad hand though it may have been shes the one who went up to the table and picked it up. 

They only managed to hold the government due to the DUP and they have no real majority without them. So they'll struggle to get anything through parliament without them.

Let's all vote SNP, they seem to be the only party who aren't (publicly at any rate) divided on this issue 😋 😋 

Anthracite_Impreza

I actually feel sorry for our Theresa, she looks one question away from a nervous breakdown.

1 hour ago, Telecaster68 said:

When she first became PM, someone described as looking like a supply teacher who knew she couldn't control her class.

One teacher cannot control two classes simultaneously 

I wonder if these parliamentarians who are resigning and throwing their toys out of the pram have all read every page of the 500 page document...

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 11/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, Skycaptain said:

@Ortac, I don't know of any nation who wants to be friends with us. Our population have, via the ballot box, portrayed us as xenophobic, isolationist, racist, insular. Our politicians portray us as naïve, dithering, arrogant, incompetent, two-faced. Britain's overseas portray us as drunken thugs.

Half of the world has the hump because we sell weapons to the other half. 

I hate to have to say this @Skycaptain, but that's why, when I go abroad, I always say I'm Scottish, not British! No offence intended, I just have a better time that way.

37 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

One teacher cannot control two classes simultaneously 

In Scotland that's called 'Holding the cat while playing with the kitten'...very apt considering your hall carpet!😋

Given the circumstances, I think Theresa May has worked bloody hard and done the absolute best job she can in an extremely crappy situation, and quite frankly I don't understand what those vehement objectors expect her to do. They moan about the UK still being tied to certain European regulations, but if the open border is to be maintained with the Republic of Ireland, there has to be an element of that. The only alternative if they want complete disassociation with European rules is that there must be a controlled border. That is required under WTO rules. One of these things is going to have to give, because it is legally and logistically impossible for an open border and no obligation to follow common rules to coexist. Theresa May is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, because whatever she does, there will be vociferous idiots screaming that it is not acceptable.

Anthracite_Impreza

@Ortac I don't like May, cos she's a Tory, and I hate Tories on principle, but I agree with that. The hardcore Brexiteers are the sort of blokes who expect to get their own way all the time; they're all posh twats who've always got what they wanted so they can't understand why they can't now.

2 hours ago, Ortac said:

I wonder if these parliamentarians who are resigning and throwing their toys out of the pram have all read every page of the 500 page document...

According to Irish times, the DUP hadn't.

2 hours ago, Ortac said:

Given the circumstances, I think Theresa May has worked bloody hard and done the absolute best job she can in an extremely crappy situation, and quite frankly I don't understand what those vehement objectors expect her to do. They moan about the UK still being tied to certain European regulations, but if the open border is to be maintained with the Republic of Ireland, there has to be an element of that. The only alternative if they want complete disassociation with European rules is that there must be a controlled border. That is required under WTO rules. One of these things is going to have to give, because it is legally and logistically impossible for an open border and no obligation to follow common rules to coexist. Theresa May is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, because whatever she does, there will be vociferous idiots screaming that it is not acceptable.

On twitter last week, I saw a tweet "the problem with brexit isn't may, the problem with brexit is brexit"

It is a very difficult trying to make the brexit deal, so I think she did the best that she could do.

1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

@Ortac I don't like May, cos she's a Tory, and I hate Tories on principle, but I agree with that. The hardcore Brexiteers are the sort of blokes who expect to get their own way all the time; they're all posh twats who've always got what they wanted so they can't understand why they can't now.

Listening to Jacob Rees mogg's ideal deal, I got the impression mogg's ideal deal was the equivalent of leaving your spouse and still keeping access to all their books (or sex with them for sexuals, both for some sexuals) without having any of the parts of the relationship you didn't like.

Mogg, ran (who negotiated the deal) the ni minister who no one knew was the minister (I thought Karen Bradley was the main person for the ni office) etc etc

There was no deal that may could get that would have satisfied them.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, iff said:

Listening to Jacob Rees mogg's ideal deal, I got the impression mogg's ideal deal was the equivalent of leaving your spouse and still keeping access to all their books (or sex with them for sexuals, both for some sexuals) without having any of the parts of the relationship you didn't like.

Perfect metaphor.

What they should do is realise that Brexit is unworkable, as good for the country as a crack cocaine habit, and stay in 

Janus the Fox
On 11/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, chandrakirti said:

I hate to have to say this @Skycaptain, but that's why, when I go abroad, I always say I'm Scottish, not British! No offence intended, I just have a better time that way.

In Scotland that's called 'Holding the cat while playing with the kitten'...very apt considering your hall carpet!😋

Same, preferring to be Welsh rather than British, even if it's just into English staycations.  A Legal Alien in New Yor... Well A Legal Fox in London at best :P

The Brexit situation started because Cameron decided to put it to a vote, right?   And the vote was very close, 51% for exiting?  And since Cameron had gambled on a different outcome, he then had to schedule an election, which May won?   And things went rapidly downhill from there?  

(Those are real questions.)

34 minutes ago, Sally said:

And the vote was very close, 51% for exiting?

Yes, 51.8% I believe.

34 minutes ago, Sally said:

And since Cameron had gambled on a different outcome, he then had to schedule an election, which May won?

Not exactly, he agreed to hold a referendum and despite saying he would remain PM either way, he resigned after announcing the Leave campaign won. He was replaced as Party Leader (and therefore PM) by May after Boris Johnson surprisingly declined. It was an inter-party election though, not a general election.

38 minutes ago, Sally said:

And things went rapidly downhill from there?  

Depends on your viewpoint on many things, but yes, pretty much.

I think I got all the info right, but if I did not I am in the USA, United Kingdom politics sadly doesn't (often) make front-page news here.

So, since United Kingdom politics are rarely talked in the USA, I have a question for the citizens of the UK:

What's Labour's position on Brexit? Everything I find seems contradictory, but that may be because I am in the USA.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:05 PM, Skycaptain said:

Let's all vote SNP, they seem to be the only party who aren't (publicly at any rate) divided on this issue 😋 😋 

Lol, like the theory but I could never vote SNP for personal and stupid reasons

Spoiler

Alex Salamond once growled at me like a dog. For that, and hearing how Nicola Sturgeon can be like when cameras aren't on her, I could never vote for them.

But then I'm left with no good alternatives. That is why I hate politics.

9 hours ago, Aebt said:

Not exactly, he agreed to hold a referendum and despite saying he would remain PM either way, he resigned after announcing the Leave campaign won. He was replaced as Party Leader (and therefore PM) by May after Boris Johnson surprisingly declined. It was an inter-party election though, not a general election.

@Sally

After that, Theresa may did call a general election with the purpose of enhancing the Conservative majority in parliament to ensure an easier negotiation progress.

Though this went badly and conservatives lost their majority and she needed the hard-line northern irish unionists DUP to give her a parliamentary majority, helped by the other northern Irish party to win seats refusal to actually take their seats and do some work for their constituents (who despite being on the remain side come across to me as being very strongly eurosceptic party, hence their refusal to agree a compromise candidate with SDLP in a bye-election meaning a valuable remain seat is vacant and no Irish nationalist voice is present)

This was against a labour leadership that comes across as very weak under Corbyn (who comes across to me as indifferent on brexit publicly but probably in favour of it secretly)

But that is just my viewpoints.

I had an online chat last night with my cousin in England. My English family have always been life long conservative voters and distrusting of the Labour party, but my cousin said that it has now come to the point where they are so appalled and disgusted with the shambles that the Conservative party have created for themselves and the United Kingdom over brexit, that they will never vote for the Conservative party again. Ever. 

10 hours ago, Aebt said:

What's Labour's position on Brexit? Everything I find seems contradictory, but that may be because I am in the USA.

I believe that the correct answer to that is "nobody knows". I don't think even the Labour party themselves know, they are just as much a shambles as the Conservative party right now. That is one reason why the United Kingdom is in such a dangerous and perilous position at the moment, because there is no coherent opposition to the governing political party. I feel thankful that I don't live there, because if I did, I would be extremely scared and worried about both the immediate and long term future. 

I just read an op-ed in the NYT regarding this Brexit mess, then came to this thread to get the opinion of the British common folk.  Thanks for all your contributions.  What I have learned today is that the politics of Britain are just as fucked up as the politics in America.  

To be honest I think the politics in a lot of countries are in a bit of a mess right now. People are getting fed up and moving towards more extreme parties and views rather than wanting to stick with the status quo. You just hear more about America due to Trump, and Britain due to Brexit.

Archived