Planeswalkers Unite!

chemical_shed

Hey there! Don't know if there is thread already on this but wondering if any magic the gathering players are on here who want to share their love for the game. 

Magic is one of my biggest passions and it's super fun. It also really helped with my social anxiety. To start, how about some conversation starters?

When did you start playing magic and who taught you?

What's your favorite format?

Casual or competitive?

Online or paper?

What is your all time favorite deck?

What do you love most about magic?

Has magic helped you overcome anything?

I'll go first. I started playing magic when I was 17 or 18 and my best friend taught me. Ever since then I've been hooked and I play as much as I can. I play all formats except Legacy/Vintage because money but my favorite format is Modern and I am super competitive! I love going to GP's and PPTQ's but I also play casually with friends who aren't so serious. I play mostly paper although I did have MTGO for a while and I play on Arena. My all time favorite deck is my WB Planeswalker/token deck for modern, it's beaten some top tier decks and it's so fun. What I love most about magic is interacting with people, I love it when I play against someone who is just easy to talk to and we nerd out on our decks. Magic has really helped me with my social anxiety and talking to people. It has also helped me be a better loser/winner; I am almost never upset when I lose anymore (in anything) which really my relationships with other friends.

I can literally talk about magic all day haha. Anyone else?

TheKnigh40fZ3ro

Hi there I am new to aven and was about to post for the first time in the welcome page, but this caught my eye so I figured I would share with a fellow planeswalker before I post there. I have been playing for a few years and a co worker taughtme.My play group does not stick to a format per day as long as decks are vintage or legacy legal. My favorite deck that I have played so far is blue/black, illusions of grandeur/donate control (yes I am kind of a terrible person haha) I am far from competitive but like to win every now and then. I can't say that I have been to a GP or any sort of tourney play. I only play paper as the collecting aspect is half the appeal for me. The thing I love most about magic is the fact that I can go to my local game shop and you social status means NOTHING, the community as I know it has been very accepting. I can't say that magic itself has helped me through anything, though I am so happy to have found this thread. As a recently discovered demi individual, I have been going through the "who will love me/who could relate" that I am sure we have all gone through. This is my first post on here and I find it re assuring to find another magic nerd within the community so very quickly. Thanks for posting this. I already feel more comfortable with posting in the welcome page after writing this out :)

2 hours ago, chemical_shed said:

Casual or competitive?

Online or paper?

I started playing back in '95 when Ice Age came out. I taught myself, although one of my sister's friends from school got us all into the game.

I don't have a favorite format because I've only ever played casual games with friends and family. I stopped playing somewhere before Planeswalkers became actual cards you could play. I tried playing some of the newer stuff online, but I don't have the money to do anything with the official game or collecting physical cards these days. I still love the game, though.

My favorite deck is a slivers deck. I also love thralls and thallids. There's just something awesome about building up smaller forces to overwhelm. I mostly played green and white, with some black from time to time. I like how there are so many ways to play that can work. I really should get back into the game sometime, but it's just not a priority for me anymore. My nephew plays Yu-Gi-Oh and there are a lot of similarities. 

I can't say that I've ever overcome anything due to playing the game. 

@Spotastic I guess I forgot to mention I started playing around Innastrad haha. Slivers are cool and so so scary to play against; I remember losing to a slivers deck over and over again haha. You should look into MTG Arena when you have the time, it's (mostly) free and pretty fun; they brought thallids back, too! Thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, TheKnigh40fZ3ro said:

Hi there I am new to aven and was about to post for the first time in the welcome page, but this caught my eye so I figured I would share with a fellow planeswalker before I post there. I have been playing for a few years and a co worker taughtme.My play group does not stick to a format per day as long as decks are vintage or legacy legal. My favorite deck that I have played so far is blue/black, illusions of grandeur/donate control (yes I am kind of a terrible person haha) I am far from competitive but like to win every now and then. I can't say that I have been to a GP or any sort of tourney play. I only play paper as the collecting aspect is half the appeal for me. The thing I love most about magic is the fact that I can go to my local game shop and you social status means NOTHING, the community as I know it has been very accepting. I can't say that magic itself has helped me through anything, though I am so happy to have found this thread. As a recently discovered demi individual, I have been going through the "who will love me/who could relate" that I am sure we have all gone through. This is my first post on here and I find it re assuring to find another magic nerd within the community so very quickly. Thanks for posting this. I already feel more comfortable with posting in the welcome page after writing this out :)

Welcome to AVEN! 🍰

Your deck sounds awful, I love it! I also love how magic doesn't care about a person's status; the only thing that matters is beating face. Oh and making friends too haha. I'm glad you found my post and hopefully we find more magic nerds on here! This community has been so awesome and I've felt more comfortable with myself since finding it- I'm sure you'll love too!

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2018 at 2:05 AM, chemical_shed said:

Casual or competitive?

Online or paper?

I started playing magic this summer after being introduced to it after playing some board games in a local game store, and I immediately loved the game :)

The local MTG community play's mostly modern and commander so that are the formats I mostly play (most of my cards are standard legal or traded at my local gamestore)

Most commander games are casual but the modern are more competitive.

I exclusivity play on paper because online I miss the interaction with other player's (I sometimes play via discord with a cam pointed to my battlefield using my existing paper deck)

In the short time I played I made way to many totally different deck's, but I think I will choose Klothys, God of Destiny as commander deck becouse it has a lot of green mana ramp, red to deal damage and the commander is indestructible so the best way to prevent damage. if I play modern like my red elemental/non-combat deck, and in the occasional standard match I use a deck fully constructed around the adventure mechanic of throne of Eldrain.

The best thing about magic is just playing with people and having a grate time.

Magic hasn't helped my overcome anything, but It helped my meet a lot of new people.

(If you want you can have one of my Arena pre-release code's for 6 THB booster's, they are limited 1 per account and I have 3 of them)

I was given some Magic the Gathering cards about a year ago! Unfortunately I don’t know how to play and no one else really wants to learn the rules and play it with me 😅

I first played MTG in like 1992 or 93 (no, I didn't keep most of those cards). We used to play a lot camping and backpacking, along with D&D. In high school I liked playing a white/blue deck.

Spent many late nights playing card games with my friends in high school... kinda stopped in college (around 1998) and never went back because I never had the time and circle of friends around. But the time socially playing and trading was really important to us. heh, I think I spent all of my money from jobs when I was young on Magic cards. Oh, and the Star Wars CCG, we were really into that for a while.

I did go to a few tournaments, but only played in one, and promptly lost. Never said I was *good* at it... but it was fun. I think I we basically went and played to get an exclusive card.

Don't have any cards anymore, but I play Arena occasionally to kill time. It is still fun, but I'm not social enough and don't have the money to invest to play regularly.

I started playing when I was in my early teens, I think somewhere around 2002-2003. A lot of the older kids at the theatre were playing, and they taught me how while I was moving sets for one show. My younger brother and I had the 7th Edition 2-player starter set, which we split the cards for; I got the 'Gold Deck' (red and green), he got the 'Silver Deck' (white and blue). A little later we got Magic: Online, and that's what I mostly played; I still have a lot of cards there, and I kind of intend to get back into it. My oldest online cards were from Odyssey and Torment (specifically, Pressure Cooker and Waking Nightmares), and I went pretty heavily with the black or black/red decks for a long time.

My favorite format right now is Modern, because that allows me to use most of the cards I have in building decks, and I mostly play casually (honestly, the only times I've played in any sort of competitive games has been at GenCon). I planned this year actually on getting more into it and going to Magic nights at my local gaming shops, but they both closed over the winter, so... guess I'm not doing that.

At the moment my favorite deck is the black/white life transfer one (also with an emphasis on flying), which is largely built around the slightly odd combination of vampires and angels. It works pretty well, and it's fun. That's also the first one I built with a Planeswalker. I also have a green elf deck and a red elemental deck built at the moment.

Mostly I just find it fun. I think playing online did help me a bit with talking to people (at least online), but I started doing that around the same time that I was also playing a lot of Populous: The Beginning online, so I can't say which helped more. Similarly, it probably helped me some with doing math on the fly, but D&D and other pen and paper RPGs definitely helped more with that.

Archived