I hate the new BBC3 asexuality documentary!

yazybee

I watched this yesterday and found it through the catch up app on my tv because it came up with the word asexual (And was actually at the top of my recommended programs to view) so yes it does show the word asexual on the catch up app. 

As for not showing the full range of asexuality I do rather wonder what people expect. It was a short documentary and the producers had obviously chosen the topic of asexuals LOOKING for love (notice the word looking not found or uninterested). They chose a few people to follow and focused mainly on the issues they were experiencing looking for asexual love in a sexual world. And it's not easy because dating apps generally aren't geared up to asexuals. And chances are if you spot someone in your local pub and think they look nice they probably aren't asexual. This makes things harder. Yes some asexuals may be willing to undertake sex to please a partner but it's not generally something they go out looking for.

To me the part at the conference was more about showing that there are ways for asexuals to meet up, and that there are a number of people who feel like this out there.

In regards to the part in the sex shop, yes It was uncomfortable but he obviously agreed to do it as the BBC couldn't exactly force him in there.

The fact they've chosen the main title to be I Don't Want Sex is actually a good thing to me. If you're someone who has never heard the term asexual  (and most people haven't) what do you think they're more likely to Google? I would imagine this site gets a lot of hits from people googling whether or not they're alone in not wanting sex, I mean that's half the welcome lounge!

Regarding the age group they chose. BBC3 is generally aimed at young people, and so the majority of BBC3 documentaries keep this in mind when selecting who they feature. Young people want to watching something with people that it's easier to relate to. No point having a documentary aimed at young adults filled with people in their 40s and 50s. 

Yes they didn't find love, but they included at the end how they were getting on in their searches (with some positives), and being a short documentary they obviously only have a short turn around time. It's not like they were following these people for years.

Overall I'd say it wasn't bad. It did only show a tiny snap shot of asexuality but that's all it was DESIGNED to show. You want something that really shows off the full range of asexuality properly then you'd need to watch something significantly longer.

Satsuriku_No_Tenshi
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, Cheshire-Cat said:

As for not showing the full range of asexuality I do rather wonder what people expect. It was a short documentary and the producers had obviously chosen the topic of asexuals LOOKING for love (notice the word looking not found or uninterested).

Look, I know this is a heated debate and I don't mean to upset anyone.

As Cheshire Cat says and a lot of other people have said earlier, they can't present the whole wide world of aces in a short documentary. And frankly, to be honest, the ace community is a mind-bogglingly confusing community and I just don't get it with all these labels! It does my head in to be honest.

I read someone saying that those with Autism were not covered. True, they weren't covered. Those with Dyslexia, Aspergers or ME were not covered either. Do you see? We just can't have it all. It'll be an impossible documentary to make. And how many people would like their Autism to be aired on TV?

I want to thank those who took part, it was very brave of them to do this. I don't see a thread to thank these people, but I see people complaining which is sad.

Also, asexuality isn't synonymous with 'not wanting sex.' Asexuality is an enduring absence or near-absence of sexual attraction.

Ehh, potato potahto.  I would never call someone that wants sex asexual, as that's precisely what makes sexual people sexual.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Abstinent people don't want to have sex.

They absolutely do want to have sex; that's literally what abstaining from something means.  You want to do it but you're choosing not to because Reasons.

What is the difference between a celibate and an abstinent person?

Celibate people aren't having sex.  There may or may not be a reason for it, and there may or may not be any actual desire to.

Abstinent people aren't having sex, even though they'd like to, because X reason overrides their desire.

They usually get used more or less interchangeably, but IMO they are not *exactly* the same.  Celibacy is less "conditional" and to me doesn't inherently say whether you even want sex in the first place.  If you're "abstinent" though, you definitely want sex, otherwise you're not using the term correctly.  You can't abstain from something without some degree of desire to do it in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
AceTrainerSasha

Honestly, I have huge problems with the documentary. Maybe it's my background as a researcher, but even if you have an angle coming in when telling a story, if your data doesn't support your original angle, you *change your angle*, you don't spin people's experiences to fit your narrative. That's dishonest and damaging. I have half a mind to write to BBC3 and lay out what is so problematic about the documentary. I attended the London asexuality conference and I was asked if I wanted to participate, and I said no because this is exactly the kind of stuff I was worried about.

If you haven't already read this article, I highly recommend it. https://lappthebrand.com/2018/10/hate-bbc3-asexuality-documentary/?fbclid=IwAR31YDLMHXdFB1arMtopRsyJcK-PPOag-6oShJ__zax7wa3zgmK3psobsKo

Archived