What if it really is just a phase?

Proud_And_Loud

Proud_And_Loud

This question has been pondering my mind lately.

I've had a friend who found out that their sexuality was just a phase, and now I'm wondering. I know that it's fine if it's just a phase, that everyone experiences things differently. But...well, I don't know.

The first time that I found out my sexual identitY, I was so happy. I finally found out who I was as a person, but now I'm not so sure.

Back to Avalon

I think we just have to embrace the idea that sexuality is fluid, that a lot of people aren't one sexual identity throughout their entire lives. Some people have dated and married members of the opposite sex and never questioned their heterosexuality, but then later on they fell in love with members of the same sex. If your sexuality changes, you won't be alone.

What if? You adapt. Been there, done that. Provided you're not facing discrimination, abuse, constant ridicule, etc. or having to combat your own negative thoughts and feelings (say, a gay person who was raised to believe homosexuality was immoral or disgusting or whatever), in my experience, discovering who you actually are and living openly in accordance with that is usually a positive thing because it feels authentic. There's no conflict or confusion anymore.

Best advice I've got is don't tie yourself too strongly to an identity or a label. And if you find that you're really stuck on the idea of being something in particular, even when you have evidence to the contrary (i.e., someone trying to stifle feelings of same-sex attraction, perhaps even seeking out sexual encounters, and yet staunchly claiming heterosexuality), it's probably worth trying to take an honest look at why that is. With the help of a therapist, if necessary.

to be clear, I do not think asexuality is a phase anymore than I think hetero or homosexuality is a phase. That being said I do believe it is possible for people to believe they are one thing and realize they are something else and that is totally OK. I think its best to just be honest with yourself, don't be afraid to learn about yourself and remember that whatever your asexual or not, its OK. 

Archived