Cool Or Weird Things You Have Found In Nature

divided_sky

What have you found while out in the woods or fields or wherever? 

I have to think of some of my own a bit and look for some pics that I have. There is a lot of old farm equipment around here. Rolls of rusted barbed wire, rusted parts of tractors, 55 gallon drums. There is part of an old tractor combine/harvester sitting out near a marsh around here. There is a piece of plastic tubing attached to an old fence post that swallows build a nest in during the spring, it's so cute. Anyway that's all pretty boring. Hopefully you guys have something better

(I should maybe consider actually having something interesting to say before starting a thread... but that doesn't seem to be a prerequisite around here :p)

I will accept bones, as it allows me to post this - 

I found the skull of a bull in a canyon in Texas when I was 6. I found what I believe was a raccoon skull a few years back. Fish skeletons in varying degrees of completeness

- a dead pony in a stream and a purple balloon in the middle of a wild moor.

- old military shelters in a wood

- a rusty structure that resembled something like a watermill

- a blunt kitchen knife

- a beach towel in a river (it must've been some shape of brownish yellow once but it had turned all green and slimy)

- an old cemetery for people who had died of the Plague

2 hours ago, divided_sky said:

not like mushrooms 

I was going to say mushrooms :c

But once when I was like 10 I was digging in the woods I found a really old ladys shoe in the dirt, like a 1900s shoe? The leather was so old and wet it just kind of tore apart, but it seems an odd place for there to be one shoe..I wonder who it belonged to and what she was doing in the woods?

Very, very deep in the forest at my Grandmas house I found old train tracks that didn't go anywhere, and there'd never been trains in that area (as it's all forest that's been there since before Westerners came to NZ). I'm assuming it was some old milling tracks that people had put there to get wood out for fires or something?

A couple of years ago my 27 year old brother came around to mum's house crying saying he'd found a grave in the woods. He went to the cops and the cops told him to dig it up, WTF? That's what you get in a small town lol. My brother now refuses to tell us what he found or where it was 😕

I wish I lived in the UK.. I'd be out exploring all the time because there's so many ruins and sooooo much history there :c Even the Maori in NZ only came here about 900 years ago and they don't really leave artifacts except the occasional arrow head or whatever. When I was little I used to dream I'd move to the UK and explore the woods and feilds, and even old graveyards etc.. and of course all the mining tunnels under London omg ❤️ Maybe I still will when my kids grow up and leave him :) ..Finding things made by the hands of man seems like one of the most wonderful thing one can do when alone.

1 hour ago, Jona said:

an old cemetery for people who had died of the Plague

❤️

@FictoVore. I should take that out of the OP. I don't know why I put that in, I just had human things on my mind when I made the thread, but why limit it? Mushrooms now accepted!

Lady Constellation

I once saw a small, very intricately carved wooden horse lying in the woods near my house. There's a name written on the horse's foot- it's hard to make out but I think that it says "John". I can't help but wonder who made it and who left it behind. Did John make it? Did he receive it as a gift? Why did he drop it in the woods? 

Anthracite_Impreza

An abandoned village

Abandoned tunnels

Abandoned railway tracks

Fox skeleton

Dead swan

Quite a few rabbit and squirrel corpses hanging in trees

Two dead rats entangled in some morbid death pose

A dead shark on the beach

Shit tonnes of fossils (including fish)

A doll hanging from a tree

Some gold jewellry I sold to a goldsmith's for £40 😎

Juliatransdress

This thread makes me want to explore some historic part of the woods here in Sweden or just explore in general.

RoseGoesToYale

My dad and I once found a whole bunch of antique costume jewelry on the bank of the river by his house. I intended to go through it and clean some of the pieces, but my cleaning-crazy aunt came and threw it all out. :angry:

Also this in the woods behind my grandpa's old house:

4GjrpicXobg2.jpg

It's a hollow, but I don't know if it's spooky. I looked around a bit for spooky things, but didn't find any. Looks pretty old, probably from kids who used to play there.

Aria Ravenclaw

Theres nature trail around where I live. There was a very poorly made firepit and inside a bunch of melted naked barbie dolls near a campsite with some tarp on top.  Next to it a badly rusted chair.  

5 minutes ago, Aria Ravenclaw said:

Theres nature trail around where I live. There was a very poorly made firepit and inside a bunch of melted naked barbie dolls near a campsite with some tarp on top.  Next to it a badly rusted chair.  

There are fire pits around here, usually along the river in the woods. Usually kids out there drinking and smoking. But I found a stuffed Nemo fish once! It was disgusting and wet. I also found a teddy bear that looked like it had been there for a couple years

Aria Ravenclaw
5 minutes ago, divided_sky said:

There are fire pits around here, usually along the river in the woods. Usually kids out there drinking and smoking. But I found a stuffed Nemo fish once! It was disgusting and wet. I also found a teddy bear that looked like it had been there for a couple years

Yeah there were also tons of cigarette butts and beer bottles so I"m guessing it's the same sort of thing lol

at the top of a small waterfall there is a large section of rock that has been smoothed flat by the water that used to cover it. Its a natural dance floor and has been used as such often enough by locals.

A linesman cabin along an old telegraph line.

a completely re routed creek after a flood. the creek was about half a kilometer north of its previous location. the flood had swept away 2 bridges and about 4 km of logging access roads.

13 hours ago, FictoVore. said:
15 hours ago, divided_sky said:

not like mushrooms 

I was going to say mushrooms :c

But honestly I recently saw a mushroom I never saw before and google couldn't help me =/ It was a light shade of blue/green inside and it was huge. I just wanted to know if it was poisonous.

I visited my hometown last week and walked my old paths through the forest and somebody must've sorted out the trail, it looked like Blair Witch Project because they made small conical tents from all the branches. In the same area somebody built this tiny bridge across a creek that I loved to sit on, But it was completely overgrown, you can't even see it anymore. Most paths are overgrown by now, nobody walks them anymore.

Otherwise I just found old abandoned shacks in the woods and other witchy-looking stone formations or caves.. And, of course, several single socks, gloves and shoes. 

Julia Schwartz

I found my own little secret garden behind some trails in a local park.

I tripped over a log, which sent me off the oath and into a little clearing with an iron gate and lots and lots of little trees. There was also a rusted pocketknife with a note, but the writing wasn't legible.

21 minutes ago, Finn. said:

It was a light shade of blue/green inside

Inside? As in, if you cut it open? There are several kinds of mushrooms which turn blue when cut.

A tree stump that had coins wedged into cracks in the wood. Saw this a few places in the Lake District and isn't uncommon elsewhere in the country. Supposed to be a way if appeasing the fey folk.

5 hours ago, Jona said:

Inside? As in, if you cut it open? There are several kinds of mushrooms which turn blue when cut.

Yeah a piece must've fell off, it was broken anyways so you could see it's *flesh* inside.

Archived