New Artlicle! Someone at a University send me a copy!

AVENguy

Nicole Prause, who's been researching asexuality since before Tony*, finally published her article! It's in last week's edition of the Archives of Sexual Behavior. Could someone at a major university scan it to .pdf and e-mail it to me (or post it for a few days and then take it down before any copyrite people notice?) Are universities all on spring break now? Snazzbucket!

2014 Mod Edit: Post #20 of this same thread links to the online version of this research article.

Considering it's summer, probably not. :P

As an aside, Snazzbucket would be a good name for a hosting site (perhaps for files such as the article scan?).

DJ, I have online access to this journal (and probably hard copy access since it seems to be in the library database). However, the online version does not yet show a copy of this article (it has not posted a July edition, only June). I'm going to do a little more searching before I give up. If you remind me closer to the end of August, I'll scan it when I head to the library.

Actually, I wonder if her article will appear in the August edition. There doesn't seem to be a July issue in any of the more recent years (or at least not that are accesible from the web).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sigh, the article isn't in the February edition either. It has to be coming soon. Generally articles accepted appear within a year unless it was accepted with revisions and then we wait until revisions are done plus a year. Or perhaps they'll be doing a journal edition devoted to asexuality (but I'd guess this is unlikely).

tangential comment: I periodically search for journal articles relating to (human) asexuality. To date, most of the research is on people with disabilities (pwd), discourse around pleasure for pwd, and perception of asexuality in pwd. At least with a good journal article published there some chance of it being cited or used in a lit review so that future articles have some (empirical, conceptual) base...

• 4 months later...

It's available in the June 2007 issue, although strangely, the paper itself claims to have been published online in March. If you want it (it's in PDF), I guess you can just PM me or anyone else who has access to the Archives.

IT'S OFFICIALLY RELEASED. The paper is called: Asexuality: Classification and Characterization. Haven't had a chance to read it yet but its abstract is available at http://www.springerlink.com/content/y1g68862317t1825/. I need to log onto my school's library to access it and I will do that shortly and figure out how I can legally post it. DJ, any idea if we have permission to do this?

• 2 months later...
CrazyCatLover

On the right side is a link to "open full text." When I clicked on that, it opened up for me. Of course, I live on the university campus, so my internet might log in automatically.

CrazyCatLover

I couldn't get the pdf to download (I assume something's wrong with my computer), but I got the html copy to open and then copy/pasted it to Word (which seems to have worked okay) so I'll send that to the webmaster. *does so*

SpirallingSnowy

i have the pdf file of it. sending off to DJ now. does anyone else want it??

Can other Avenites get a look? I'm quite interested. But I do not want to get anyone in trouble.

Not sure if I can register on that site as I'm not part of the university system even if I wanted to purchase a copy.

I am part of a health organization, but I really don't want my private life and work life to mingle very much.

SpirallingSnowy

Well, send me a email and ill attach it to a reply.

I dont think it will get me in trouble. but if i put it up on here i may. Prolly safest to email it out rather than up in here.

I havent as yet had a read of it, but im also going to search the university database for more articles on asexuality to see if there is something we may have missed.

Im at work at the moment, will prolly be home in an hour. I can email it then?? just PM me and let me know what email address you would like it sent to.

i may be able to pick up a copy of it from work, becauxse i can still access the university database.

SS

• 4 months later...

I read the article. Nothing earthshaking. My conclusion is that this website is using a reasonable definition of asexuality. From the report:

This exploratory study attempted to better characterize individuals who identify as asexual and to provide exploratory data for future research. Asexuals were most clearly distinguished from non-asexuals by their lower/absent scores on the Dyadic Sexual Desire subscale, lower scores on the Solitary Sexual Desire subscale, and lower scores on the Sexual Arousability Inventory.

Archived