Grumpy Old Millenials

Skittles87

I despise selfi sticks and also remember the day when a person could buy a Beano, a Dandy and Freddo or less than a pound!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Overheard at work not so long ago:

A: People our age will never be able to retire or own our own houses.

B: Yes, it's crap. When are you getting your nails done?

A: Thursday when we get paid- it's going to be a full set , gels, with manicure, £20, good deal eh?

(I facepalm at that point, thinking of all the manicures, boozy nights out, takeaways, shopping trips, facials, spa days out and sundry other money wasting ideas that have been discussed between these two and others like them)....

On 10/1/2018 at 9:45 PM, Gloomy said:

Oh yeah I hate the clothing they have these days. I hate it when all I want is a simple basic t shirt or dress, but everything I see has a big hole in it, is cropped really short, is too thin/transparent, or is some weird shape that would look baggy on me.

Exactly. And it seems next to impossible to find non-skinny jeans, even in the men's section. Argh. 

And holes, seriously? There were times when I was desperately looking for undamaged jeans, I'm not joking. If someone really wants holes in their jeans, they can simply cut them out themselves.

DIY. That's what I did in the 90s: I customised some pieces of clothing. It was fun, and it didn't involve shredding the fabric 🙄

Celyn: The Lutening
8 minutes ago, kiaroskuro said:

And holes, seriously? There were times when I was desperately looking for undamaged jeans, I'm not joking.

Yes! Holes in clothing? DO NOT LIKE, DO NOT WANT.

LadyWallflower

To be frank, I don't know what some of the things you are talking about are! It made me panic a bit. I'm an expat, and I know so many things are changing that I don't know of. I'm in my mid/late 20s.

For me, I like YouTube so I can listen to music and watch some fitness videos. I can't go to the gym here. I didn't know until relatively recently that there are tons of people who live off of YouTube. I didn't realize that was a thing. It makes me wonder when that will die down.

I also like the kindle, or e-books, because I live in a country where there are no English books available. With a kindle, I can still read some books relatively cheap. If it wasn't for that, I would be a person who always went to a library.

I was the last person to get a cellphone. Everyone else in my grade had one for years before I did. Then I was very late in getting a smartphone. The only reason why I did was because I was advised to as an expat. It has been very helpful in a foreign country. I can look up translations, and use the map app. Those are undeniably useful. But I don't like the ability to be online all the time. When I can't sleep at night or I feel depressed, I find myself going on my phone. I'm trying to challenge myself to keep it turned off at home.

I've never gotten into Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and so on. Being online makes me nervous. I only have an account for AVEN and Goodreads.

What I dislike the most is the hypersensitivity, because it seems to me that in their goal to be kind to everyone, they are actually being abrasive and rude themselves. But more so, is that people who don't know what they are talking about will post something on the internet about hypersensitivity, and that will be picked up by tons of people, who will repost it and say it is true. And often... they are wrong? But you become scared of talking at all. I got attacked for liking Harry Potter the other day. I don't like talking about what I like, because of being attacked, but I always figured Harry Potter was safe. Well, it isn't. Because I guess sometimes the author tweets things some people dislike. Therefore, I can't like the book franchise anymore. Apparently. Well, I still like it anyway. ;)

Cropped shirts have not become popular in Japan. I'm a bit scared of that now. Very baggy styles, with boyfriend jeans or long skirts, are popular here.

I like skinny jeans, I just wish they'd actually put pockets in them. Nowadays the pockets are either small or non-existent. Luckily since I have a sewing machine I've been able to sew bigger pockets on.

• 2 weeks later...

There's only a two year age gap between me and my younger sister, but her hen do last weekend made me feel so old. All her friends like to get super-drunk and shout "Yaaas, queen!" at each other. 

Ah, yes. What makes me feel old...

• Having to explain to a kid what something commonplace from my childhood is/was (cassette tapes, floppy disks, etc)
  • The fact that most of my favorite childhood computer games aren't even playable on most modern-day systems; I have to purchase them digitally if I want to play them again (assuming they're even available digitally)
  • I flinch whenever I see anyone under 18 (especially infants & toddlers) playing with smartphones/tablets
  • I also flinch whenever I see people my own age (or slightly younger) drinking/smoking/cussing/having sex/doing other "adult" things; I keep thinking to myself, "aren't you a little young for that?", and then I remember that I'm an adult and so are they
  • In high school, pretty much all I listened to was music from the 50s-80s (I've expanded my tastes a bit since then, but it's still mostly oldies for me; I really don't care at all for most mainstream pop from this decade)
  • The "social media" I use is mostly virtual petsites
  • I only got my first smartphone earlier this year, and while it is certainly convenient in many situations, I'm still perfectly comfortable going more than 24 hours without even touching it
  • I don't take selfies at all; pretty much all I use the "selfie" button on my phone for is as a pocket mirror if I can't find a mirror elsewhere
  • I still play games on my Game Boy Advance from time to time (I even bought some new (used) games for it at Game Crazy not too long ago)

@Barbio, I never knew phones had a "selfie" button 

Grumpy "old" 31-year-old here. I know I'm getting older because:

• My knees creak and lock up if I sit in one position too long
  • I complain about my knees
  • I'm starting to dislike more things than I like
  • All the pop music and rap coming out currently all sounds the same to me
  • I can't take a good selfie
  • I still don't even care for the idea of selfies. It's called "ask someone to take your picture," darnit
  • I grumble when my neighbors have obnoxious, loud parties
  • I don't understand the concept of "influencers" or how people monetize YouTube, Instagram, etc.
  • I find anything with the word "challenge" after it implausibly stupid (cinnamon challenge, condom challenge, etc.)
  • All that contouring and heavy makeup young women are into right now exhausts me
  • I don't get the obsession with perfect painted on eyebrows
  • Dark bars with loud music annoy me
  • I like doing crossword puzzles and sitting at home in pajama pants

This topic has given me a good chuckle, thanks people (yes, I still write out the whole word rather than use texting language).

My first radio only played AM/FM and cassettes.

Installing Word95 on Windows 95 involved non-floppy floppy disks.

I study music and it's frustrating how lecturers and myself have to constantly explain about taping songs from the radio, or that retail experience of sitting in an actual physical record store and listening to at least a dozen CDs after school before buying just one of them.

My first USB thumb drive was the size of my hand and was 512MB, I recently bought a 32GB one that I'll probably lose within the month; it's that tiny.

The sound of dialup will haunt my nightmares, as well as getting tangled up in the ethernet cable.

Since when are songs from the 90s "golden oldies"? When I grew up that referred to songs from the 50s and 60s.

I blame Cher for introducing the pop music genre to autotune. It's everywhere now.

I have never taken a selfie in my life, it's the job of other people to take photos of you. And half the fun was to see how the photos would come out after picking them up a couple of days after getting them developed.

Kids wearing Nirvana T-shirts without actually ever having heard Nirvana seems pointless to me. Mention "grunge" and they'll go "what's that?".

Oh, speaking of music genres. The prodigy isn't dubstep and never will be.

Growing up I was very familiar with different European currencies, the euro made life in the border region of three countries really rather boring, let alone about twice as expensive.

@Tavaa,, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

I have a large quantity of obsolete coinage from abandoned currencies. 

Dubstep hadn't been invented when The Prodigy started, they sort of mutated from the Rave and Techno era 

On 10/27/2018 at 9:35 AM, Tavaa said:

Kids wearing Nirvana T-shirts without actually ever having heard Nirvana seems pointless to me. Mention "grunge" and they'll go "what's that?".

That's one of my pet peeves. And when I see someone with a Ramones T-shirt, I often feel like walking up to them and asking them to name one of their song titles. (Out of spite 😁)

I also mourned the disappearance of our different European currencies, back in the day.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:54 AM, Mona Lisa said:

I don't understand the concept of "influencers"

Ugh, people who describe themselves as "influencers" are the worst.

Squirrel Combat

I was a little to the social media party. I joined Facebook when I was 22, AVEN a year later, Instagram just about a year and a half ago, and I have now joined ComicFury.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:45 PM, Gloomy said:

Oh yeah I hate the clothing they have these days. I hate it when all I want is a simple basic t shirt or dress, but everything I see has a big hole in it, is cropped really short, is too thin/transparent, or is some weird shape that would look baggy on me.

I agree, I can't get a decent t shirt in the women's section 😧 it's all weird stuff!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I always get the giggles when the workload gets busy. While all the 50 somethings are keeping up and just gritting the teeth to get through it, the millennials can't concentrate for two minutes and moan incessantly 'do I have to do this? I don't want to do this one-can someone do this for me?'

When I was a kid there was no negotiation.' It's your job-do it!'

Remembering the relics of the internet... geocities, mapquest, friendster....

On 9/23/2018 at 11:00 PM, asshole said:

"Starting" to feel old? Pretty sure I escaped the womb as a newborn curmudgeon.

This is really old I know, but I just happened to stumble across this thread and thought you said 'I escaped the womb as a newborn cumdragon'! I cracked up laughing thinking 'wtf is a cumdragon???' then realized I'd misread you, haha. Hopefully I don't think of cumdragons (whatever the feck that is) every time I see a comment by you now, lol!!

40 minutes ago, anisotropic said:

Remembering the relics of the internet... geocities, mapquest, friendster....

Dial up Y_Y and MSN messenger chat rooms. I actually just got a pang of nostalgia haha, they were the best chat rooms ever ❤️ 

2 minutes ago, FictoCannibal. said:

Dial up Y_Y and MSN messenger chat rooms. I actually just got a pang of nostalgia haha, they were the best chat rooms ever ❤️ 

Oh yeah! Bulletin board systems! The sounds of a 14.4 modem...

As for Millenials describing themselves as old.... 

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 7:32 AM, Skittles87 said:

Are you that weird grey area between a Millenial and Generation X?

I feel like I'm in that in between area, but I was born in 85.  It's hard to relate to people only 5 years younger who were born in the 90s.  They're so very different.  How did that happen? :blink: 

12 hours ago, AceOfHearts_85 said:

I feel like I'm in that in between area, but I was born in 85.  It's hard to relate to people only 5 years younger who were born in the 90s.  They're so very different.  How did that happen? :blink: 

I can relate to this 'in between area' thing.

When I was a teen, I used to think of anyone born after 1990 as a child/toddler, and even now that some of them are approaching their thirties, I still find it hard to change my old way of thinking. 

It's a little embarrassing, but I can't seem to help it 🤔

11 hours ago, AceOfHearts_85 said:

They keep changing the definitions for the generations, though the baby boomers seem to be the most stably defined generation. I was also born in '85, and in some definitions I've missed the Xennial boat by less than two weeks, even though I much more fit that description than the Millennial one. In order to avoid using those shifting generational terms, I'll often just say "I was born in the 80s" and usually that's enough for people to understand what I grew up with or not. I think you're right in that people born in the first half the 90s seem rather different, yet they're also classed as millennials. I think 1978-1987 should be Xennials, and 1988-1999 Millennials, which seems to fit the Xennial mix of analogue and digital ,and the millennial predominantly digital experiences better.

Xennial ... how come I've never heard that term before? Cool, I think I'm going to use it from now on, 'talking 'bout my generation'. Calling myself a Millenial always felt wrong, somehow.

5 hours ago, Tarvaa said:

They keep changing the definitions for the generations, though the baby boomers seem to be the most stably defined generation. I was also born in '85, and in some definitions I've missed the Xennial boat by less than two weeks, even though I much more fit that description than the Millennial one. In order to avoid using those shifting generational terms, I'll often just say "I was born in the 80s" and usually that's enough for people to understand what I grew up with or not. I think you're right in that people born in the first half the 90s seem rather different, yet they're also classed as millennials. I think 1978-1987 should be Xennials, and 1988-1999 Millennials, which seems to fit the Xennial mix of analogue and digital ,and the millennial predominantly digital experiences better.

I definitely feel I don't fit the description of a millennial because I can actually recall some of the 80s and experienced it as a small child.  It does make a difference.  Early 90s babies don't even know what I'm talking about half the time, and I don't completely relate to them.  I've always thought that millennials should be people that were born in the actual millennium, year 2000.  It says it in the name lol

It's funny when people find out my age because I still look like a teenager.  I recently signed up for a math course at an adult center and they thought I was needing credits to graduate from high school.  LOL :wacko:

8 hours ago, kiaroskuro said:

I can relate to this 'in between area' thing.

When I was a teen, I used to think of anyone born after 1990 as a child/toddler, and even now that some of them are approaching their thirties, I still find it hard to change my old way of thinking. 

It's a little embarrassing, but I can't seem to help it 🤔

I can understand that.  I have a friend who turned 28 this year, born in 1990, and I still find it difficult to see her as her age.  I have several other friends born in 1996 and around that time, give or take a few years.......same thing.  It's very strange that these "kids" are bigger and taller than me now. :blink:

I find it surprising for an asexual, a group that most people like to argue doesn't exist, and is a "new" idea in terms of society learning we are real (though many deny that) expressing issues with the fact that we are also re-evaluating gender, sex, and race. These topics matter as they have real world impact on people in these groups. Can it be hard to understand? Of course, but that doesn't mean you should write it off and be annoyed by it. Make an effort and get educated. Just ensure you read INFORMED opinions and views and don't read strawmen viewpoints that are just a response to what they don't understand and made ZERO effort to try to understand (this will take you down a rabbit hole of stupid).

I'm almost 38. I've changed many of my views over the course of my life. Do I agree with EVERY social equality point? I don't, but I am ALWAYS open to hearing the argument and having a discussion about it. Many times I have come around, and others I am not convinced, but I'm open to learning.

Good general rule: if it's no skin off your nose, respect people when they tell you about themselves and their experiences and don't be an asshole. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that, but there's lots of material out there to help you understand if you want to. I'd suggest reading books on the subject though rather than the internet as academic sources will better lay out the argument and provide you with detailed examples and sources better allowing you to make an informed decision.

.diva plavalaguna.
On 11/11/2018 at 2:25 PM, LKinney said:

I find it surprising for an asexual, a group that most people like to argue doesn't exist, and is a "new" idea in terms of society learning we are real (though many deny that) expressing issues with the fact that we are also re-evaluating gender, sex, and race. These topics matter as they have real world impact on people in these groups. Can it be hard to understand? Of course, but that doesn't mean you should write it off and be annoyed by it. Make an effort and get educated. Just ensure you read INFORMED opinions and views and don't read strawmen viewpoints that are just a response to what they don't understand and made ZERO effort to try to understand (this will take you down a rabbit hole of stupid).

I'm almost 38. I've changed many of my views over the course of my life. Do I agree with EVERY social equality point? I don't, but I am ALWAYS open to hearing the argument and having a discussion about it. Many times I have come around, and others I am not convinced, but I'm open to learning.

Good general rule: if it's no skin off your nose, respect people when they tell you about themselves and their experiences and don't be an asshole. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that, but there's lots of material out there to help you understand if you want to. I'd suggest reading books on the subject though rather than the internet as academic sources will better lay out the argument and provide you with detailed examples and sources better allowing you to make an informed decision.

Wish I could like this a thousand times! Honestly reading some of the stuff in this thread is like...super cringe. Like maybe some of it is joking but it's also not funny at all and kinda just sad.

I certainly feel older, and I'm hella grumpy, but it's because 90% of shit from my childhood has just up and died, my knee hurts like a bitch half the time, I can't "hang" like I used to, I have to actually think about health care and bills and shit lmaooo. A lot of people my age are getting married and having kids and stuff, and my first instinct is to go, "but you're so young!!" And then I remember that's totally normal shit for 27/28 year olds. 

Archived