Grumpy Old Millenials

Skittles87

Are you a millenial (someone in their early 20s to late 30s) who is starting to feel old?

I sure as hell am. This may be to do with growing up mostly offline. I rarely had internet access until I was 19, and didn't join social media until I was already an adult, so I'm not really a "digital native". Here are some things that make me feel old:-

• I have seriously considered signing up for one of those "understanding your smartphone" courses that they run for pensioners.
  • I can't take a decent selfie.
  • I get irritated by people taking selfies in public.
  • I get irritated by the word "selfie".
  • The kids are using words that I don't understand. "Mood" seems to mean something different these days.
  • I f*cking hate webcams. They're difficult to use. And if you put a guy in front of one, half the time he gets his willy out.
  • I know one YouTuber. Her name is Zoella and she sells make-up *smiles proudly*
  • Oh shit, everything I like is sexist/racist/queerphobic/ableist!
  • Oh shit, how do I be a good person? I don't have time to read all the articles on cultural appropriation, just give me cheat sheets!
  • I have started tutting instead of rolling my eyes to express disapproval.

I've not included things like enjoying a nice cup of tea and a good book, because I enjoyed those things at 16. If you're a millenial, what kind of thing makes you feel old? Let's be grumpy old millenials together!

1 hour ago, Skittles87 said:

Are you a millenial (someone in their early 20s to late 30s) who is starting to feel old?

I sure as hell am. This may be to do with growing up mostly offline. I rarely had internet access until I was 19, and didn't join social media until I was already an adult, so I'm not really a "digital native". Here are some things that make me feel old:-

• I have seriously considered signing up for one of those "understanding your smartphone" courses that they run for pensioners.
  • The kids are using words that I don't understand. "Mood" seems to mean something different these days.
  • I f*cking hate webcams. They're difficult to use. And if you put a guy in front of one, half the time he gets his willy out.
  • I know one YouTuber. Her name is Zoella and she sells make-up *smiles proudly*
  • Oh shit, how do I be a good person? I don't have time to read all the articles on cultural appropriation, just give me cheat sheets!

I've not included things like enjoying a nice cup of tea and a good book, because I enjoyed those things at 16. If you're a millenial, what kind of thing makes you feel old? Let's be grumpy old millenials together!

I agree with all of it. I’ m 19 and always hated these stupid words and the overly sensative crap surrounding everything. People want to be offended by every word now and children are being protected from everything, including vital bacteria.

I feel a rant so I’ll stop now, otherwise I could write a full page quickly.

I like the definition of a millennial that does not include me!

I'm 36 and I have been a grumpy old millenial for about 20 years now.

2 hours ago, Skittles87 said:

My 'smartphone' is used as a telephone, and occasionally as a textual-transmission device. It has other functions apparently, but I don't have any wish to use them. 

I remember when 'selfies' required the use of a mirror, with clever camera placement to reduce it being in frame or ruining the shot with its flash (which you'd only find out about 3-4 weeks later after you'd got the film developed). 

Selfies in public are only tolerable when there is payoff for observers in that something bad / hilarious happens to the person taking the selfie (backing themselves into a wall or down a flight of steps, being photo-bombed by something random in the background, dropping their 'phone off a quayside etc.). 

There are too many words that I disapprove of these days - plus most of the words I used to know / use have changed definition. Cursing especially. 

I last used a webcam when I got online for the first time in 1998. Squinting at a postage-stamp sized slideshow of the other person didn't appeal, so I haven't repeated it. 

YouTube is one thing I've embraced if I'm honest. If nothing else, adverts can be skipped, and those that I am exposed to aren't advertising sofas, PPI-claims, sofas, money-loaning, sofas, and Christmas (already - it's bloody September!). But I can't name any 'popular' YouTube people. 

I'm not racist, sexist etc. … at least by '80s standards. But it doesn't seem possible for me to step out of my front door without offending someone / something... or that's my fear. The irony being that hiding inside to avoid upsetting anyone / anything is probably seen as offensive because I'm not sharing my feelings or opinions for them to judge me upon. 

I'm embracing how others think that I'm 'set in my ways', or at least I'm too old to change. 

Well, the cut off between millennial and gen z is somewhere in the mid to late nineties. So those of us in our early twenties might not count. Typically it's '95 or '96 I see cited, so my general age group is basically the first of gen z, and last of the millennials.

I'm kind of between generations.

I do agree with the selfie crap, to some extent. I'm not against someone taking a picture of themselves. It's the selfie culture, when people really get into it, that bothers me. Especially if it involves stupid gags, like Snapchat filters and a cringeworthy caption.

I'm bothered by the the hypersensitivity as well. Yet I'm also bothered by the lack of sensitivity that arises out of the anti-pc brigade. Seems people are either callous and self centered, or utterly sanctimonious. Being reasonable has flown right out the window. Instead it's encouraged to be narcissistic and self-righteous, whichever side of the dichotomy one lands.

I have no idea what tutting is, though. 

I felt old when I learned that Facebook is for ages 25 and up. Anyone younger apparently wouldn't be caught dead on Facebook because "their parents are on it". Plus I don't get Instagram. You can post photos on Facebook...

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
3 hours ago, Skittles87 said:

I sure as hell am. This may be to do with growing up mostly offline. I rarely had internet access until I was 19, and didn't join social media until I was already an adult, so I'm not really a "digital native".

I may not feel grumpy but there're certain moments when I do feel old, especially when being among a group of younger people  these days.

I'm pretty fine with online tools or browsing the internet in general but I don't like social media plattforms like FB, Twitter etc, ebooks or obsessive smart phone usage.

There's nothing better than reading hard covers or paperbacks while having a nice cup of tea,  writing snail mail or listening to Vinyl songs on a turntable.

2 hours ago, AndrewT said:

I like the definition of a millennial that does not include me!

Are you that weird grey area between a Millenial and Generation X?

1 hour ago, Raire said:

YouTube is one thing I've embraced if I'm honest.

I do listen to a lot of music on YouTube, but that's pretty much the only thing I use it for. Should probably be more adventurous.

5 minutes ago, Skittles87 said:

Are you that weird grey area between a Millenial and Generation X?

I hope so, since i was born in 79

but i was also brought up with technology

1 hour ago, Ms. Carolynne said:

Well, the cut off between millennial and gen z is somewhere in the mid to late nineties. So those of us in our early twenties might not count. Typically it's '95 or '96 I see cited, so my general age group is basically the first of gen z, and last of the millennials.

I'm kind of between generations.

I do agree with the selfie crap, to some extent. I'm not against someone taking a picture of themselves. It's the selfie culture, when people really get into it, that bothers me. Especially if it involves stupid gags, like Snapchat filters and a cringeworthy caption.

I'm bothered by the the hypersensitivity as well. Yet I'm also bothered by the lack of sensitivity that arises out of the anti-pc brigade. Seems people are either callous and self centered, or utterly sanctimonious. Being reasonable has flown right out the window. Instead it's encouraged to be narcissistic and self-righteous, whichever side of the dichotomy one lands.

I have no idea what tutting is, though. 

Ugh, I know what you mean re: hypersensitivity. I really do want to be respectful of other people - those that think they're some kind of martyr to freedom of speech because they aren't allowed to get away with spouting hateful, bigoted or ignorant crap are clearly morons. But at the same time, it's horrible to see some of the bullying that goes on by people who are supposedly all about tolerance. A few days ago, for example, I saw someone get chewed out and called an arsehole on Facebook for using the phrase "spirit animal". Yes, it's culturally insensitive, but you can point that out without acting like he's a terrible person. How are people supposed to learn under those kind of hostile conditions?

Tutting is a noise of disapproval or frustration, common amongst old British ladies. Try putting the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth, just behind your front teeth, then pull it down quickly. It should make a "tsk" sound.

I already have a few gray hairs, and if I look closely enough at my face there are a few fine lines that I have been trying to nip in the bud with sheet masks and anti-aging serums 😅. Other than that:

-I don't use Instagram or Snap Chat or whatever the hell young people like to use.

-I do take selfies sometimes, but I never post them anywhere. I just keep them for myself. The whole world doesn't need to know what I look like.

-People posting their entire lives online. Checking in on Facebook or whatever when they go somewhere, taking a bunch of pictures instead of enjoying everything in the moment. Of course my generation X dad also does both of those things; I almost feel like I'm the parent when we go out somewhere and I wonder why he's doing those things.

-I live near a high school so when I drive to work in the morning there's sometimes a bunch of teenagers walking to school and I just think "These young'ns better stay out of my way". Also the freshmen this year were literally babies when I started high school...

-I'm pretty sure that if I had a lawn, I would yell at kids to get off it at least a few times.

1 hour ago, AndrewT said:

I hope so, since i was born in 79

but i was also brought up with technology

That's being referred to as Xennials, although also technically the very end of Gen X.

I felt old when I turned 25 and needed to walk with a cane because of my knee and back problems. I only just got a smart phone last year, but I do understand its multi-use functionality. I'm a bit of a tech geek. I live with 2 (used to be 3 until she hit 18) of my sister's kids and it is definitely like talking to someone from a different planet sometimes. One is 14 and the other is 10 and I am frequently like "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Oh I have another one - I swear certain things don't taste the same these days. Specifically sweets, e.g. Smarties, because they got rid of all the artificial colours. I miss E numbers!

Anthracite_Impreza

Grumpy millenial here. I'd say hi but that would defeat the object of being grumpy. I sigh when I sit down, that's a fairly good sign I'm old, as is the fact I hate those stupid "duck-face" selfies. In fact, just selfies in general. Why? Unless you want to prove you were somewhere or with something, what is the purpose? And why don't Freddo's cost 5p any more? And why are bus fares for kids 70p these days? And most importantly, why oh why can't people spell or use basic English grammar any more???

9 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

And why don't Freddo's cost 5p any more?

I try to be zen about the rising price of chocolate, but I just can't be. Regular-sized bars cost over a pound in so many places now!

I still got a migraine and since starting higher ed in my 20's makes me feel extra old, here we go: 

Teachers assume I was born post 2000 and have never seen a phone with buttons before. 
How I pointed out a VHS tape to a classmate the other day and he went "That's a large cassette!"
Losing an apple ID and therefor all my movies. I'm done. Resorting to the CD sleeve of DVDs I have kept since high school, see you when the WiFi goes out for a day, when I will suddenly be everyones favourite person again. 
What the fresh hell happened to womens' clothing? I ventured into the "Casual / Sports" aisle and even large size hoodies are cropped now. Who thought that was a good idea? Do people actually wear those outside of their instagram photos? How does one know how far they can lift their arms until it shows underwear? 
I am the only person apart from my dad to still own a radio that's just a radio. Not a speaker with spotify attached to it. 
Reading paper books. Printing things. No, it's not about saving the planet, most people just want an excuse to be lazy and pretend they did their work while sporting 3 different tablet types. Nothing makes me happier than just highlighting a book I did research in and sticking neon post-it strips in there to find my pages I quoted. 
Handing in essays isn't fearing the deadline, it's fearing the server crashing or uploading it to the wrong shared folder. 
How wearing a brand track suit is now equal to wearing an actual suit in price and occasion and I can not relate. 
Hypebeast culture in general is beyond me.
Gym culture, but no one actually does anything and just walks on the treadmill and then pretends they worked out for an hour. Stop blocking the treadmill.
Location enabling apps. No, I don't want my entire town to know where I am at all times, it makes me sick to just think about that. 
How I'm expected to always text back everyone in a split second and how no one even turns off their notifications for classes. I feel guilty when my watch beeps the occasional hour, but that drives me insane. I wanted to graduate and become a teacher, but I would probably be hated beyond return if I demanded no phones during a lecture. 6 years back when I went to college phones were taken in if they rang or were just in proximity of anyones hand. 
Being an arts student made me realise how much I enjoyed analogue photography. I see people sorting through HUNDREDS of the same square picture on their phone and there's nothing special to them about it. 90 of the 100 selfies will be deleted, it took less than a second to take it. When I was in high school I learned how to develop old school film and I still take it over every digital image I take, nobody cares about waiting for anything anymore. 

Bonus: The e-bike scares me and so does the e-skateboard. I'm okay with the robots taking over, but please not while I'm sitting or standing on one.

Anthracite_Impreza
28 minutes ago, Skittles87 said:

I try to be zen about the rising price of chocolate, but I just can't be. Regular-sized bars cost over a pound in so many places now!

£1.20 for 100g of my 'tipple' of choice; there's no wonder I nibble it at best.

3 minutes ago, Nøel said:

How wearing a brand track suit is now equal to wearing an actual suit in price and occasion and I can not relate

No. No no no no no. As someone who owns both I will never accept this.

8 minutes ago, Nøel said:

Hypebeast culture in general is beyond me.

I didn't know what that is, now I'm just offended.

I'm 23 and I'm a grumpy homebody, who gets mad at kids on my lawn, doesn't really like anyone else my age, is more than likely to sneer at people my age and call them "children", so yeah..I think this is also me.

Then again, I really want a teddy bear, so maybe I'm the child here. 🙃

Celyn: The Lutening

Agree on the selfies and Why is everyone so sensitive? What does Snapstagram have that FB doesn't?

Also:

-Baking/cooking properly

-Checking if your friends have eaten and cleaning up after them, complaining about their messiness

-Getting excited about your new pegs/bin/door hooks

-Youngster: "Do you like *gibberish* ?"

Me: "I don't know what that is."

-Bird-watching

Anthracite_Impreza
6 hours ago, Celyn said:

-Bird-watching

I'm fairly sure that's not a millenial thing, or at least if we're talking about the ornithology type of bird...

Celyn: The Lutening
21 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I'm fairly sure that's not a millenial thing, or at least if we're talking about the ornithology type of bird...

Only if you're a millenial of the grumpy old variety such as myself.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Celyn said:

Only if you're a millenial of the grumpy old variety such as myself.

What's wrong with bird spotters? :о

Oh yeah I hate the clothing they have these days. I hate it when all I want is a simple basic t shirt or dress, but everything I see has a big hole in it, is cropped really short, is too thin/transparent, or is some weird shape that would look baggy on me.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Gloomy said:

everything I see has a big hole in it

I've had holes in my socks for years and people always thought it was stupid, and now look, paying for holes!

Paying for holes, hmmm?? 😋 😋 

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Paying for holes, hmmm?? 😋 😋 

Ye gods, SkyC.   :wacko:

I was thinking about paying to play the local nine-hole golf course 

*innocentface* 😋 😋 

Archived