Just one more year to go

ayananana

Hello everyone, first of all I do not know if this is the right forum to post this. Feel free to move it to the right place thank you.

But anyways, I am just confused and questioning on where my life will be headed right now. I am a college student studying biology, already in my senior year and I have mix feelings on whether I should continue to med school or continue to graduate school instead. I have always seen myself in med school since my parents kept on nudging me to that direction. So I just followed their instructions since I didn't really know what to go for in terms of my career. But now after three years in college, I am really interested in the research my professors are doing and now that I'm experiencing it first-hand in my thesis, I can see myself doing this as well. But the smile on my parent's faces when I told them I was taking the NMAT (the entrance exams for med school, I think it's equivalent to MCAT in the US) this year made me feel things. You could see how proud they are. But I did talked to them about going into research. My dad was okay with it, but you could see how my mom was a bit disappointed. They just told me that it is my life and I should be the judge on where I should go, but that is the problem, I don't know. I don't hate going to med school and pursuing a medical career but I also don't hate continuing to graduate school.

So overall, how did you know what career choice you wanted to pursue?

Hi Ayananana :)

I am sort of going trough something similar, it's just so insanely difficult to decide what to de with your life. Would it be possible to take a sort of gap year when you finish college?

If so you might be able to find a position doing research in that time, this way you can see if it is a full time thing you would enjoy doing. As for your parents they probably want the best for you, and people usually think that having the 'best' job is the way to do that. Also they have probably been imagining you doing this for a while, so having that image suddenly changed might be difficult.

My lame advice would be that you should do the thing that seems the most interesting and exciting to you, since you will be doing it for a big part of your life.

I am not really sure how helpfull this is, but goodluck!!

Hello to you as well @Angel1996. And your advice isn't lame at all! Thabk you for it! I might now be getting a gap year since that might even be more troublesome, I guess? Like I would be more anxious on choosing and I would overthink everything so I'm trying to sort everything out this year. 🙁

I hope you also all the best in choosing what your career would be! 🍰🍰

Thank you :)

well the way I see it is that if you take a gap year to work after getting your degree you're not wasting time since you already have a base to work from. And if you use the year to get some experience in both fields you can see which one you would prefer to aim towards.

I don't know how possible that would be for you but sometimes you can do an internship or maybe even a work contract. And this way it doesn't have to be a rushed or under researched decision. 

But I can totally see how taking a year off to think about it will put a lot more pressure on the choice. If I were in your position I would finish graduate school and then see if you would still like to do med school. Because if it turns out you don't like it that much or it isn't what you wanted you at least have a degree to fall back on

I really hope you figure it out!

Thank you so much! 😢

But wouldn't it be considered a bit late if I went to graduate school first rather than pursuing med school? Or not? I am not equipped in transitioning to become an adult 😔

I am facing the same dilemma as you, except it roots from my brain which wants to do EVERYTHING that exists in this world. So I have a year or so and I will graduate and I have too choose whether I want to go for marketing, literature or criminology. 

Like Angel said, choose the path you feel you will like and feel comfortable in. Imagine yourself doing research or going to med school. Which one makes you the most happy? Also don't worry about parents. They get disappointed for some time, but if you be happy and successful in your career in future, they will surely share your happiness right? 

I usually use the method of writing my options on paper slips, mixing them in a bowl and choosing one of them as a lucky draw😂 But I guess that's not a smart solution to recommend to you :D

Trust me, I might want to do the write in paper and pick randomly. But I guess I should think more of it huh? 

Also, I hope you get to choose your profession as well! Your choices sounds interesting too. Goodluck 🍰

Archived