How confident are you at the following in the following situations?

iff

How confident are you at the following in the following situations?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. knowing how to react in a new situation

• excellent
    • very good
    • good
    • ok
    • poor
    • bad
    • very bad
    • prefer not to answer
  2. 2. making eye contact in conversation

• excellent
    • very good
    • good
    • ok
    • poor
    • bad
    • very bad
    • prefer not to answer
  3. 3. crossing the road

• excellent
    • very good
    • good
    • ok
    • poor
    • bad
    • very bad
    • prefer not to answer
  4. 4. identifying the people you know in a crowded room

• excellent
    • very good
    • good
    • ok
    • poor
    • bad
    • very bad
    • prefer not to answer

This poll is closed to new votes

ok, i am poor at alot of things, these are just a sample of ones that come to mind

1) reacting in new situation - bad - i tend to have to go over my actions in such a situation several times

2) eye contact has been a weakness of mine but i think i am better at it nw so poor maybe

3) i am very scared of crossing the road and i need to be very secure in my crossing as i find it tough. if i am making my way across and see traffic, i get a bit stressed and panic.

4) i am very bad at identifying people. once i sat beside people in a bar not realising i didn't know them. the bar wasn't even that crowded, it didn't take too long to realise so i was able to feign just ordering a drink

The only thing I'm particularly bad at is making eye contact, unless I'm really close to someone I don't do it. The other things are 50/50 if I'm being honest, but mostly because I tend to overthink simple things and it makes me indecisive.....

1 hour ago, CBC said:

Do you want votes from aces only or are you just curious about people in general? (No worries if it's the former, I can just answer in the thread.)

everyone can vote, it's for people in general :)

1. Sometimes I react well to a new situation, sometimes I don't. It depends on a number of things.

2. I'm okay with eye contact. I just can't hold eye contact for more than a few seconds, and often I'll look at their eyebrows or between their eyes so it still seems like I'm making eye contact.

3. I really don't like crossing the road. As embarrassing as it is to admit, when I was in my 4th-5th year of college, when I was 22-23 years old, I would take the longer bus route home after class just because it would drop me off where I didn't have to cross the street.

4. I'm pretty good at finding people I know in crowded places.

Relatively poor for the first one. Not because I don't know how to react but because mostly I don't react(as far as emotions go) If we're talking actions, I'm a little better at it. Eye contact is fine. Road's no problem. Excel at spotting people in a crowd so that I can avoid them.

1- poor, but not terrible 

2- doesn't happen at all 

3- excellent if maybe a bit pushy (American police wouldn't like me) 

4- poor, I have a bad memory for faces 

1) I don't know how I am in new situations, I just put poor because, but I'm actually probably just fine in them, but I don't really like new situations to much and get very shy in them

2) I don't have a problem making eye contact

3) I don't have a problem crossing the road (crossing not at a crosswalk unnerves me a bit though), but I think I worry my mom when I do, because she doesn't think I look enough 

4) I think I'm fairly good at identifying people in crowded places as long as I can see them 

SpookyNameHere

1. I wouldn't say I'm horrible at it, but I'm definitely not that great. 

2. Making eye contact isn't what gets me, it's maintaining the eye contact. Something about holding eye contact with someone makes me feel anxious. I have to look away every few seconds. 

3. I'd say I'm pretty good at crossing roads since I'm usually super cautious about it. 

4. I'm pretty bad about recognizing faces. More than once I've walked past people without even realizing that I knew them until they called me out on it and asked why I'm ignoring them. I'm not sure why I do that. 

Very bad at unfamiliar situations due to my anxiety. I’m so terrified I’ll mess up and make a fool of myself that I become even more socially awkward and quiet.

Eye contact is natural to me. I don’t think about it. I’m uncomfortable when others don’t make eye contact with me or don’t look away.

I’m not sure what you mean by crossing the road? I answered excellent just because it’s never occurred to me this might be an issue for someone but I don’t think I understand the question. 

Again, I never knew this could be an issue for someone. (Unless they’re legally blind, maybe...) I don’t really understand how this could present as problematic, to be honest. If I know what someone looks like, of course I can find them in a crowd.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm fine in new situations (years of working in the front line NHS...), eye contact isn't a problem either (although I get annoyed with people who look in their phones while talking to a real person). Years of living in London ahve made me the consummate jaywalker, BUT_ I'm totally faceblind! 

I once didn't recognise my own daughter because she had been away for two weeks and came home all tanned and taller. I have real trouble at Ace meets because there's the avatars that aren't actually the people's faces, plus two sets of names to get around. so I've given up on all that pretence and I just have to say 'which one are you?'😆

Unfortunately some people who are less secure in themselves take such things as slights, although I've noticed that the older the person, the more they understand about the blind spot.

23 hours ago, okir fokir said:

I’m not sure what you mean by crossing the road? I answered excellent just because it’s never occurred to me this might be an issue for someone but I don’t think I understand the question

It is one of these things I am poor. I am ok at proper traffic lights once I see all the vehicles I need to be concerned about has stopped.

Where I am bad is when I have to get by roads where there is no such crossing so it becomes judgement calls when it comes to safety and I struggle at that. Depending on the way I leave work, I may have a crossing where I have to be alert to traffic coming in four different directions. That's particularly stressing. (I blame the Normans for how they designed the town.)

My brother once said to me that "while you walk very quickly, anytime you gain you lose at the traffic lights because of the cautiousness"

1. Bad, I'm an awkward person in general

2. I hate eye contact, it makes me feel even more awkward than usual

3. Good 

4. Very good at spotting people so I can either find or avoid them

I'm getting better at knowing how to react in new situations, or at least trying to. For the other ones I'm either very good or excellent. I cross roads probably more often than the average person does and I've only gotten hit once. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived