[cis only] Do you appear in a body of a different gender in your dreams?

mreid

Cis edition of this thread.

I'm curious to compare results. The non-binary people who posted on that thread (me included) seem to dream of themselves in different genders or genderless.

In 'meat life' I just live in the body I'm stuck in as I have no choice, which is that of a human female. I've come to accept that so  I don't try to change it or make it look 'less feminine' or anything. I'm not trans or anything (wouldn't be any happier as any other kind of gender) but I actually hate the term cis as I feel it implies that all non-trans people are happy as the gender they are, that's how lots of people interpret it anyway. My 'internal being' (mind, whatever you call it) doesn't 'feel' like anything though. Gender doesn't seem to be a concept to it :o

In my dreams, I have the exact same consciousness that I have in meat life, a non-gender specific entity.  I never like, hmmm.. look down and see boobs or anything? I never look down to see my body!! I never look at or think about my body as 'female' but don't think about it as anything else either, it's just a vessel that's carrying my consciousness same is in 'meat life'. I'm not thinking about gender or my boobs or anything in my dreams, they're a non-issue.

If I dream about sex it's exclusively women I seek out sexually. If I'm dreaming about someone 'liking' me romantically, it's almost exclusively men who like me, usually actors (Ethan Hawke and Benedict Cumberbatch are the last two I remember) however the 'romance' dreams with males never involve sex or even kissing or anything. Just a genuine healthy respectful attraction on the part of the male. So I'm not sure if either of these things (the genders I dream of interacting with) indicate that I'm seeing myself or feeling myself as any particular gender. It's just not something that's ever come up in my dreams! 

10 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

In 'meat life' I just live in the body I'm stuck in as I have no choice, which is that of a human female. I've come to accept that so  I don't try to change it or make it look 'less feminine' or anything. I'm not trans or anything (wouldn't be any happier as any other kind of gender) but I actually hate the term cis as I feel it implies that all non-trans people are happy as the gender they are, that's how lots of people interpret it anyway. My 'internal being' (mind, whatever you call it) doesn't 'feel' like anything though. Gender doesn't seem to be a concept to it :o

In my dreams, I have the exact same consiousness that I have in meat life, a non-gender specific entity.  I never like, hmmm.. look down and see boobs or anything? I never look down to see my body!! I never look at or think about my body as 'female' but don't think about it as anything else either, it's just a vessel that's carrying my consiousness same is in 'meat life'. I'm not thinking about gender or my boobs or anything in my dreams, they're a non-issue.

This explains my experience really well.

I'm a person in a body. Gender isn't a concern of my person, but I've never felt the need to actively try to act non-cis. I don't think anyone would ever doubt my gender if they met me, but my person doesn't feel it's intensely any gender.

I've never had a dream that has specified having any body part or has suggested I'm of any gender. I mean, I suppose I'd default to assuming I'm my cis-self if my dream called for a need to refer to gender, but it never has.

I wonder if what reactions you get in the trans-thread. I could see trans-people having more gender-focused dreams because their daily lives might spend more time thinking about their gender?

I also think some people more strongly identify with masculine or feminine. I never have felt the need to be clearly a gender, I just do me. So perhaps my dreams reflect that mentality, while others who cling to gender stereotypes stronger might have them come up in their dreams more.

@mreid No, I've always had my own body in my dreams.

I'm Cis Male by the way.

No never, but my gender is not something of which I'm actively aware. Which I assume is normal for cis folks. I know some women who talk about feeling feminine or being in touch with their femininity and I've never related to that at all, and in fact I've had issues with the female aspects of my body, but something tells me it's not a gender identity issue in my case. I think it's a mental health thing for me, and also ties in with how comfortable (or not) I am with my sexuality. So I don't bother identifying as anything other than female.

But yeah, no, I'm just me in dreams. I'm also never a different age or anything other than human. I know some people dream about when they were a kid, or dream that they're another creature, but I don't. I've always been just me, as I am in real life.

Cis female. If I'm myself in the dream, as far as I'm aware I just appear in my own body (though I've never seen myself in any mirrors during a dream), but sometimes when I'm dreaming about fictional characters, I often "phase" in and out of them and observe the dream from their POV, as if I am the character. When this happens I ASSUME I take on their gender from their POV. But again, no mirrors so I can't be sure.

I certainly don't FEEL any specific gender as I'm dreaming - just either myself or someone else.

No, I think I'm rarely conscious of my gendered body parts in my dreams. Once I dreamed that I identified as non-binary, though.

Galactic Turtle
18 minutes ago, mreid said:

Ok so in your dreams sometimes you have male parts, is that it? (despite remaining your female self)

That's correct.

39 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

You have a bun, not a hot dog!! 😛

As far as my eyes are concerned I have nothing. XD 

Galactic Turtle
5 minutes ago, mreid said:

That's interesting... do you consider yourself to be tomboy-ish, ...?

This may seem out of place, but do you consider yourself to be a motherly person?

I guess by the way I dressed when I was younger people might've assumed I was. Between the ages of like... 10 and 14 I was mistaken for a boy a few times. In terms of behavior though I never gravitated towards other boys my age. Quite the opposite, actually. I enjoy practical clothing which, in my experience, seems to be never traditionally feminine. Like others have said on this thread, I don't like to bring attention to my female body features. 

Not motherly but I've definitely been described as the most responsible in my various friend groups probably because I'm not all that eager to drink, smoke, or party and am painstakingly punctual lol.

1 hour ago, mreid said:

@FictoVore. @Puck @CBC If your body in your dreams is the same as your body when you are awake then I think it's safe to assume your gender in your dreams is the same as your waking gender. I am talking about physical, biological gender.

I can't put words in the others mouths, but what I'm saying is my body doesn't have sex-related traits at all. I've never clocked boobs or dicks on my body, ya know? In my dream I focus on my person, which doesn't identify strongly as a gender rather just a person. And no one treats me like a gender, just as a person.

But again, if someone in my dream would be like "What's ya gender?" I'd probably respond with my cis-gender

1 minute ago, mreid said:

Yes, that's what I meant.

Ok, but you are asking what gender I dream I am. I'd argue none. I feel like you're trying to assume more from that ask than I'm saying I feel.

Just now, mreid said:

No, I'm saying that if your dream body is the same as your physical body with no noticeable differences, then it's physically the same biological gender as your waking body.

But I'm saying I've never had anything associated with gender in my dream, I'm only making assumptions of what might happen, how I'd respond if someone asked my gender.

If we are purely talking physical here, then I would say I was probably androgynous and had no physical gender-identifying parts. But, if asked, I would respond saying I was my cis-gender, same as I would respond with what my mothers name is because those are automatic reactions I say when asked in waking life and based on how I act in dreams, I usually respond with details I believe to be correct.

RoseGoesToYale

It's happened on quite a few occasions. Once I was a fisherman sitting on a huge rock on a enormous lake in the middle of the night and in a fierce snowstorm, and the waves were lapping the rock and stinging my face while I was trying to fish, and my captain was back on the boat and yelling at me to get off the damn rock before I got killed, but I didn't listen, and suddenly a huge grouper leapt out of the water on the end of my line...

Most of the time gender is pretty hard to track, everyone's features change so rapidly...

4 hours ago, mreid said:

@FictoVore. @Puck @CBC If your body in your dreams is the same as your body when you are awake then I think it's safe to assume your gender in your dreams is the same as your waking gender. I am talking about physical, biological gender.

2 hours ago, mreid said:

No, I'm saying that if your dream body is the same as your physical body with no noticeable differences, then it's physically the same biological gender as your waking body.

hmm, you seem to be slightly misunderstanding what @Puck and I are saying. 

What I am saying personally is that my dream 'body' is NO GENDER.  I'm not someone running around with a vagina between my legs in my dreams, I am an entity, a consciousness, that just exists. In 'meat life' I am well aware that I have absolutely massive, heavy breasts that are sweating because of the heat, I can feel my genitals 'existing' between my legs especially when I have my period (ugh) but internally I am just an entity, a creature looking out who is existing within this vessel made of flesh and blood and bone. In my dreams, I am just that entity.. there is no body with breasts attached to look down at, I am JUST my being. A spatial awareness with consciousness. Even when experiencing arousal and orgasm (which I do in my dreams) it is not with a vagina or a penis, I can feel the orgasm in an inward part of myself that does not exist on my physical body and feels very different from a clitoral orgasm I have while awake (dream orgasms are still very identifiable as orgasms though). No genital interaction actually happens to create those dream orgasms, so my genitals are a non-thing and the shape or form of them is not something that needs be taken into consideration. Whereas obviously in real life if I was to have intercourse, or even just masturbate, the shape and form of my genitals are something that very much needs to be taken into consideration.

So it's most certainly 100% not the same physical body at all, and I'm sure for Puck it's not either or they would have said ''I have a vagina and breasts in my dreams''.. but it's just not that simple (I can't actually speak for Puck, but for me anyway it's most certainly nowhere near that simple!)

I actually personally can't stand terms like 'female' 'woman' 'mother' being directed at me (I just let it happen because I know that biologically I do have those traits).. but I'm a being, an entity. And I clearly wish to be seen as that in my dreams or I would have more physically identifiable gender traits. If I was in a lucid dream interacting with another Earth being (yes, I have done that and the other person even remembered the dream the next day), I would tell them that in meat life I have the body of a female but that actually, I am a non-gender-specific-entity merely inhabiting the body of a human female.. but that doesn't mean my gender is 'biologically female' in my dreams, it's a non-thing.

11 minutes ago, mreid said:

@FictoVore. Yes Ficto, fascinating.

So are you saying you now agree with @Puck and I that our bodies are more genderless than 'female' in our dreams? 'Fascinating' doesn't really express your actual thoughts and this is a discussion thread.. sooo?

1 hour ago, mreid said:

@FictoVore. Yes Ficto, fascinating.

Sounds to me like you're not happy that 'cis' people have dreams where their dream 'gender 'doesn't necessarily match the gender of their biological body? You've been quite combative with @Puck and now you're not really giving answers that have any substance at all. Hmmmm. 

most of my dreams gender really isn't a thing that comes into play. There are a few when I've been male and a few when I've been female that stick out. Otherwise I know it's me in dreams, but I don't pay attention to gender or bodies that I remember.

I have appeared as a different gender in my dream.

It's a bit funny as usually when I am aware I am dreaming and am able to recall them I assume I am female, in a female body but I don't have any confirmation of that unless for any reason I see myself in the dream or do anything to support that assumption. It could be as simple as looking down and seeing boobs or the pronouns used by people. I don't always see myself or have people talking to me in dreams so I don't always know. Some of my dreams can be pretty abstract or some I don't actually have a body and I'm just observing or what my body is, is less important compared to other things in it which are more significant.

Gender does not often play into my dreams...I'm androgynous enough that its not obvious (in the dreams, in real life I'm undeniably female), and its not something that ever crosses my mind to wonder about. I am PERSON, I am CREATURE, I'm not male or female, because that doesn't have anything to do with what's going on. Then again, I'm not often a tangible character in my own dreams, and when I am I'm an indistinct 'short messy brown haired, thin, androgynous being'. Not always adult, not always even human shaped.

Juliatransdress

This is something that I have never really thought about.

When I dream I guess I don't really have any gender. So in my dreams in Agender. If thats what it called.

Side note:

Im cisgender male.

Edit: I don't have a strong connection to my gender in general. Like I have recently started playing as Female in GTA Online and I enjoy it a lot. Not trying to like get attention but just genuinely enjoy it.

I am a cis female and I've never appeared male in a dream, but I don't believe I am conscious of my gender either way. Usually my dreams don't involve a lot of interaction on my part, mostly observing a scenario from the outside, so I'm more focused on the other people in my dream and don't register much about how I fit into it.

On 9/24/2018 at 6:34 AM, mreid said:

It could be that for cis people, if they dream they are the same gender as their waking one then there's nothing remarkable so they just don't notice their genders.

It seems that most of the cis people who have responded either switch genders (sometimes having the genitals of the other sex) or experience a type of agenderness where they have a disconnect from their body as a whole, or are just their regular daily gender? Trans respondents seemed to have the same disparity.

Therefore, I think it more comes down to the ways in which people dream as opposed to which gender they are or  are not, if that makes sense?

HurricaneKitty

female. don't remember ever dreaming anything like that, but i know in one of my dreams i had a dick, it was really small and it felt weird. after waking up, i looked it up online to see what it could mean and apparently i was becoming more dominant and aggressive.

i'm still waiting for my imaginary dick to give me some confidence in life.

I'd never really thought about it until now.  I've always been just me in my dreams, and I can't really see myself as anything but female.  Interesting topic.

Archived