Slice of Ace YouTube channel discussion

Slice of Ace

Hello! 

I'm a homoromantic asexual (gay ace), and when I was coming to terms with my identity, I found it was really comforting to see others like me on YouTube... well, others like half of me. The gay half that is 😂 People talking about themselves, being gay, and their experiences was incredibly validating for me personally 😊

Now, there are ace YouTubers out there, but not many. And, as far as I know, not any that exclusively create gay ace content. Correct me if I'm mistaken 😝

So, I've been considering starting a channel to do just that. I'm thinking of splitting content between asexual education/visibility, gay ace education/visibility, sex and relationships (ace-allo and ace-ace), and my opinions on a bunch of gay/ace topics.

So that's my game plan 😕 What do you think? Is it a good/bad idea? Something you'd be interested in? Any suggestions?

Honestly, I'd just like to give back to the community, and it would be worth it if I even helped a single person understand asexuality or themselves 😊 My plan is to have my first video out during asexual awareness week, though if I'm too busy I'll postpone it 😝

PS - sorry for the mammoth of a post 😂

6 minutes ago, Ardoise said:

Go for it!

I second this.It's a really good idea.

:) That's sounds interesting. You're right: there aren't many gay aces on YouTube. So, that sounds like it'd be a much-needed, important resource for other gay aces to learn from, find, etc.

The only downside I can think of is, since some non-aces still believe asexuality isn't real, that you might have to be prepared to receive a few, negative comments about that.

1 minute ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:) That's sounds interesting. You're right: there aren't many gay aces on YouTube. So, that sounds like it'd be a much-needed, important resource for other gay aces to learn from, find, etc.

The only downside I can think of is, since some non-aces still believe asexuality isn't real, that you might have to be prepared to receive a few, negative comments like that.

Yeah, I've thought that could be an issue. I'm not one to let strangers' opinions get to me though, so I think I'd be fine 😊 

That's a really cool idea! I feel like all visibility helps in self-acception. When I was looking into what I could be I spent a long time on youtube just looking for people like me.

Fluffy Femme Guy

Why not?

Do it, it can be good to see more about your own identity. Ace content is so little it gets hidden by hetero stuff and the LGBTQ+ stuff, we need as much stuff to help others as possible.

Sounds great to me! Seeing more ace YouTubers would have really helped me when I was questioning. If you do make a channel, will you post a link to it somewhere on AVEN? 

9 minutes ago, Here&Queer said:

Sounds great to me! Seeing more ace YouTubers would have really helped me when I was questioning. If you do make a channel, will you post a link to it somewhere on AVEN? 

Yeah, of course! Given the overwhelming support I've gotten in the last hour (thanks everyone 😁), I'm probably going to go through with it 😄 I'll link it either here or in a new thread 👍

Just now, NYK said:

Yeah, of course! Given the overwhelming support I've gotten in the last hour (thanks everyone 😁), I'm probably going to go through with it 😄 I'll link it either here or in a new thread 👍

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to see it!

3 minutes ago, Here&Queer said:

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to see it!

Hahaha, now I'm worried I'm setting expectations too high 😝 I've never done this before, so it's probably going to be awful 😂

Just now, NYK said:

Hahaha, now I'm worried I'm setting expectations too high 😝 I've never done this before, so it's probably going to be awful 😂

Ha, no way! I bet it will be great. And the best part of something like this is that you'll get better with time, and no one expects the first one to be perfect! 😄 Personally, I'm just pleased to see some more ace representation! 

To Each Their Own
23 minutes ago, NYK said:

One thing you can do is to put the link to your newly created YouTube channel in your signature. That way, every time you post you will be leaving an opportunity for people to check out your channel.

49 minutes ago, Laurann said:

Yess, add yourself to the list of ace YouTubers :)

Will do 😊 I actually used that to check out other ace YouTubers!

Cool! Have fun! I'm thinking of starting a YouTube channel too, but not an asexuality channel...just a fashion channel with food recipe testings or something.

Hello again! 😊

I've been racking my brain for a name for my YouTube channel, and I've come up with 'Slice of Ace'. 

I'm quite attached to it, because it has the whole aces like cake thing going for it, and I like cake 😂 

I also sketched a little logo thing for it. I don't know if it's any good. I may have gone over the top with the gay and ace colours though 😝

Spoiler

Logo_zpsgzcb5yic.png

4 hours ago, NYK said:

Hello again! 😊

I've been racking my brain for a name for my YouTube channel, and I've come up with 'Slice of Ace'. 

I'm quite attached to it, because it has the whole aces like cake thing going for it, and I like cake 😂 

I also sketched a little logo thing for it. I don't know if it's any good. I may have gone over the top with the gay and ace colours though 😝

Reveal hidden contents

Logo_zpsgzcb5yic.png

How about Taste of Ace? It ryhmes a bit better but either is good

Oh. I thought the "slice" in "slice of ace" was a metaphor for your asexual half, because you said the other half of you is gay.

5 hours ago, Lonely Mudkip said:

How about Taste of Ace? It ryhmes a bit better but either is good

Ooh, I like that! 😁 I'll think about which one I like better 

4 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Oh. I thought the "slice" in "slice of ace" was a metaphor for your asexual half, because you said the other half of you is gay.

Haha, I hadn't thought of that! 😅 I was thinking more along the lines of me being one ace of many, and that the videos will be about my own opinion/experience 😊

On 9/23/2018 at 9:05 PM, NYK said:

Hello again! 😊

Hide contents

Logo_zpsgzcb5yic.png

Maybe too much rainbow, or it is just a little vibrant. I love the background and cake design, don’t change it is my opinion. Just slightly darker shades for the rainbow, since the Ace colours are darker it would probably blend better, but I am in no way an artist, far from being neutral on capability so I may be wrong.

Also I like the name Slice of Ace, sounds good. Loving this concept.

I 100% think you should do this!

I do however want to mention the youtuber heyodamo - he's also homoromantic asexual if I remember correctly, although I don't know how much of his content is about that.

Not to discourage you at all, but I gotta give my aussie mates some promo aha

49 minutes ago, Bio 7 said:

Maybe too much rainbow, or it is just a little vibrant. I love the background and cake design, don’t change it is my opinion. Just slightly darked shades for the rainbow, since the Ace colours are darker it would probably blend better, but I am in no way an artist, far from being neutral on capability so I may be wrong.

Also I like the name Slice of Ace, sounds good. Loving this concept.

Ooh, yeah 😝 I see what you mean, looking at it again. It's very bright, isn't it? 🤣 No problem, I'm no artist either!

17 minutes ago, goldendaaysss said:

I 100% think you should do this!

I do however want to mention the youtuber heyodamo - he's also homoromantic asexual if I remember correctly, although I don't know how much of his content is about that.

Not to discourage you at all, but I gotta give my aussie mates some promo aha

Yep, I was aware of him. Yeah, I think he is (although I can't find him stating his romantic orientation explicitly), but his channel seems to be just a 'general' YouTube channel. Mine's going to be focussed solely on gay/ace stuff, so I'm confident that it'll be different enough 😄 Thanks for letting me know though! 👍

1 minute ago, NYK said:

(although I can't find him stating his romantic orientation explicitly)

Of course I found it mere seconds after posting that message 🙃

Archived