Slice of Ace YouTube channel discussion

Slice of Ace

I've released the video early, because I want to keep an eye on its reception. I'm very anxious about this one... 

Spoiler

GeekyGamerZack

Your vid really got me thinking, and I think you summed it up perfectly. I don't have anything to add, nor do I disagree with any part of it. 🙂

By the way, your t-shirt's awesome, Detective. 😉

:) Oh, what a topic to talk about...I think you're brave for doing that. Good luck, facing the YouTube comments.

I liked your video and agree with what you said, about letting others choose to be a part of LGBT+ or not, if they want.

I just wanted to quickly correct you about the "aces haven't had to fight for marriage...and adoption." Apparently, in the U.S. ace marriages can be considered not to be "legal" for religious reasons, due to not having sex, and some aces who wanted to adopt were denied, due to being ace.

This blog explains these and other discrimination aces face.

(Trigger Warning, though, because, their blog also discusses sexual assault.)

https://asexualityinasexualworld.wordpress.com/tag/adoption/

9 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

By the way, your t-shirt's awesome, Detective. 😉 

I don't wear it much anymore because it's too small for me... 😥 

5 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I just wanted to quickly correct you about the "aces haven't had to fight for marriage...and adoption." Apparently, in the U.S. ace marriages can be considered not to be "legal" for religious reasons, due to not having sex, and some aces who wanted to adopt were denied, due to being ace. 

This blog explains these and other discrimination aces face.

(Trigger Warning, though, because, their blog also discusses sexual assault.)

https://asexualityinasexualworld.wordpress.com/tag/adoption/

Thanks for letting me know 😊 I'll pin a comment with that link in the video

GeekyGamerZack
1 hour ago, Slice of Ace said:

Sitting on 199 subs is driving me mad. I'm so impatient 😂

I'd love to help you cross the threshold to 200, but I'm already subscribed. Perhaps Scratch would like to be the 200th sub, assuming he has his own YT account? 😊

8 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

I'd love to help you cross the threshold to 200, but I'm already subscribed. Perhaps Scratch would like to be the 200th sub, assuming he has his own YT account? 😊

Haha, he'd only watch cooking or wildlife channels 😂

GeekyGamerZack
4 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Haha, he'd only watch cooking or wildlife channels 😂

Funny, I figured he'd be more into something like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. 😁

Oh, I forgot to announce here that Slice of Ace has reached 200 subscribers as of yesterday. Thank you all for supporting the channel, and I hope that I'm representing our community well 😊

MercyIsVictory

Can't believe it took me this long to find this thread! I guess these forums are a better, "safer" place to have discussions than on YouTube.

Congrats on 200 subscribers, by the way. :) 

Slice of Ace

So, I watched a soap opera. That happened 😜 It's a fantastic representation of asexuality though, and by far the best I've seen on TV. It definitely helps that it would have had such a massive viewer base as well. If you can bare through a 20-minute video:

Spoiler

GeekyGamerZack

I've seen that show on UKTV while surfing through channels on Foxtel. I'll check out your latest vid once I have a bit of free time to spare. 😊

Slice of Ace
21 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

@Slice of Ace Would you prefer we leave comments/discuss your videos here or in your comment section? 

Whatever you want to do really. I check both at least daily, so I'll reply either way 😊

@Slice of Ace :) Thanks, for the Emmerdale clip; I've never seen that show, before. I watched it as soon as I could in case YouTube might make it unavailable in my country later on, due to copyright (which has happened in the past, for some channels' U.K. clips, shows, etc.)

I thought you did a very good job in explaining about how some aces grow up feeling; explaining their behavior; their difficulty in coming out to a partner/relationships with a partner, etc.

I'm feeling a little uneasy, though, about the character's future, in the show; since you mentioned that the show hadn't explicitly mentioned that the character was asexual, I'm kind of worried that the show might change the character's sexual orientation, the way Riverdale apparently changed Jughead's sexual orientation on the T.V. show (where, originally, the actor who played Jughead said in interviews that his character was asexual and was written that way, but then, later on, the show changed that).

GeekyGamerZack

@Slice of Ace Just watched the new vid, and I liked the different style you used in the video. I also can't stand shows like that, though we only have two main choices in Australia (Home and Away and Neighbours, both of which are supposedly popular in your corner of the globe).

Having said that, I found the clips presented to not only be immersive and enjoyable, but also relatable to an extent. Asexuality isn't easy at the best of times, and relationships baffle me as a concept. As it is, I still don't think I know how to relationship properly. 😅

I ended up taking on an uncharacteristically-serious mindset as I watched it, which helped me to process the information easier. Then I watched the outtake and was swiftly rebooted back to my normal, eccentrically-humorous self. 😁

Slice of Ace

This one's for all you aros out there: 

Spoiler

Plus, I'm a wee little puppet man 😜

GeekyGamerZack

The name "Mini Daniel" makes me think of...

["Oh yeah!"}

MM&FAC_-_Mini_Mario.png

Slice of Ace

Aaaand new series! I also made a new thumbnail for it. Thoughts?

Spoiler

Also, do you have any suggestions for future episodes of Myths of Ace?

GeekyGamerZack
1 hour ago, Slice of Ace said:

Aaaand new series! I also made a new thumbnail for it. Thoughts?

The second myth made me wonder if I'm actually a tree. I mean, I'm BUILT like one, so... 😁

Celyn: The Lutening

This is just the best idea. I'll let you know if I think of any.

GeekyGamerZack

I've gotta admit, my weekend doesn't feel entirely complete without a Slice of Ace vid to watch. They've kind of become part of my Saturday morning post-waking up routine. ☺️

If you want anyone else to talk about the demi experience for this planned future vid, or just want someone to bounce ideas off for it, hit me up :)

Slice of Ace
9 hours ago, Celyn said:

This is just the best idea. I'll let you know if I think of any.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

I've gotta admit, my weekend doesn't feel entirely complete without a Slice of Ace vid to watch. They've kind of become part of my Saturday morning post-waking up routine. ☺️

Eek, I'm going to have to step up my game and make a few videos in advance. I don't want to mess up your routine 😂 I'm going to have some busy weeks coming up in the next few months as I get settled in a new place and job.

2 hours ago, Celyn said:

If you want anyone else to talk about the demi experience for this planned future vid, or just want someone to bounce ideas off for it, hit me up :)

Great, will do! 😊 I have no idea when I'd do it. Probably not until after the aforementioned settling.

MercyIsVictory
51 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

Eek, I'm going to have to step up my game and make a few videos in advance. I don't want to mess up your routine 😂 I'm going to have some busy weeks coming up in the next few months as I get settled in a new place and job.

Sounds exciting! What's the job?

Slice of Ace
18 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

Sounds exciting! What's the job?

Ummm, the official job title is Physics Graduate Engineer, but there being a bit quiet on the details at the moment.

MercyIsVictory
23 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

Ummm, the official job title is Physics Graduate Engineer, but there being a bit quiet on the details at the moment.

I'd be very curious to know what that means, haha. It sounds neat! Of course, I also don't know squat about physics, since I took chemistry in high school instead. 😛

Best of luck in the new job, I hope it's enjoyable, interesting, and not too taxing :) You definitely deserve it, Mr Brainy!

:) Oh, wow, a Physics Engineer!

That's great that you have a series planned about misconceptions. I thought of a few, but I'm unsure whether some are exactly what you're looking for. I've come across these on asexuality articles and documentaries, comments not only about aces, but LGBT+ in general, such as, "Why do aces/LGBT+ have to announce their sexual orientation? It's not a big deal if you don't want to have sex or in an LGBT+ relationships," about how LGBT+ should just keep it to themselves, rather than trying to educate others, have more LGBT+ characters in shows (some commentators feel there are too many LGBT+ characters in shows, nowadays, a higher percentage of LGBT+ characters when there aren't as many in the population.)

I thought about giving a couple of links to the comments, but they're very negative and mocking of LGBT+ people.

Apparently, some don't understand that it's harmful, hurtful, scary, confusing, etc. for LGBT+ kids and adults to grow up without knowing or being taught that their sexual orientation/gender, etc. is okay; without any LGBT+ role models, etc., and that that's one reason why LGBT+ visibility is important.

Having only one designated LGBT+ character, say, for example, in every five or ten shows also wouldn't help because it'd be extremely limiting: all LGBT+ people are different and having one LGBT+ character allowed doesn't and can't, represent all LGBT+ people. It'd be unfair that, just because heterosexual people are the majority, that they'd be the only ones allowed to have a more variety of characters represent them in movies, T.V. shows, etc.

Also, LGBT+ visibility has helped improve equality for some LGBT+ people around the world, helped convince some countries to change their laws; staying silent, in the closet about their sexual orientation and gender would probably just allow laws to continue to discriminate against them not give them equal employment, marriage rights, housing protection, etc. and not convince other countries to give LGBT+ people equal rights.

GeekyGamerZack
8 hours ago, MercyIsVictory said:

I'd be very curious to know what that means, haha. It sounds neat! Of course, I also don't know squat about physics, since I took chemistry in high school instead. 😛

Biology for me. 👍

@Slice of Ace I hope your new job involves the Mathematics of Wonton Burrito Meals...mmm...

Archived