Slice of Ace YouTube channel discussion

Slice of Ace

5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

...I don't really want to shove a clip of him into an unrelated video though unless he naturally comes while I'm filming 😂

Oh; I see. I thought since you have your blooper clips at the end of videos (which are humorous and interesting, despite being different from your main video topic), that you didn't mind using separate, unrelated clips.

I thought a clip of your cat at the end of a video, along with the bloopers, wouldn't look too out of place.

Slice of Ace
41 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Oh; I see. I thought since you have your blooper clips at the end of videos (which are humorous and interesting, despite being different from your main video topic), that you didn't mind using separate, unrelated clips.

I thought a clip of your cat at the end of a video, along with the bloopers, wouldn't look too out of place.

Ah right, that would work. I'll throw something in this week then 😆

GeekyGamerZack
1 hour ago, Slice of Ace said:

Ah right, that would work. I'll throw something in this week then 😆

Nyay! 😸

Wow! That was unexpectedly quick!

Does Scratch have a shallow bowl for water? I kind of felt sorry for him, digging his paw in the cup to get at the last bit of water on his paw to lick or licking the faucet, as though he's thirsty, often.

Does he like or get along with the rabbits? From the clips, it sort of seemed as though he just ignores them.

Slice of Ace
3 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Wow! That was unexpectedly quick!

Does Scratch have a shallow bowl for water? I kind of felt sorry for him, digging his paw in the cup to get at the last bit of water on his paw to lick or licking the faucet, as though he's thirsty, often.

It took two hours from start to finish. 

Haha no, he's just too lazy to go to his water bowl 😂 He's stopped stealing my water now that I got him a mug of water for the living room. I think you can see the cat mug in one of the shots of him playing? 

MercyIsVictory
3 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

I'll just leave this here: 

Reveal hidden contents

Kitty. ❤️

Also, is Smallworld a game you can play by yourself? I've only played it once before, but it was with three friends, and I really enjoyed it. 

Slice of Ace
4 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

Kitty. ❤️

Also, is Smallworld a game you can play by yourself? I've only played it once before, but it was with three friends, and I really enjoyed it. 

I don't think so, no. Unless you played both/all of the players, I guess 😂 You can do two player games though, if gathering a large group of people is the issue.

GeekyGamerZack
8 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

I'll just leave this here: 

Hide contents

KITTY!! 😁

I'm trying to work out where I've heard the third tune in the video before. It's so familiar, but...I can't quite...thinking...processing... (shuts down)

🎵Do-do-do do-do

(boots up) ...I got nothin'.

Also, BUNNIES?! 😆

Slice of Ace
6 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

KITTY!! 😁

I'm trying to work out where I've heard the third tune in the video before. It's so familiar, but...I can't quite...thinking...processing... (shuts down)

🎵Do-do-do do-do

(boots up) ...I got nothin'.

Also, BUNNIES?! 😆

It's "Agh! Won goph in mah mouph! Blech! Ptooey!" (yes, that's the actual name of the track) from Fire Emblem: Awakening. 

Yay, someone mentioned the bunnies! 🐰🐰

GeekyGamerZack
5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

It's "Agh! Won goph in mah mouph! Blech! Ptooey!" (yes, that's the actual name of the track) from Fire Emblem: Awakening. 

Is that from the bit where Lissa complains about the prospect of "roughing it" suggested by Frederick at the start of the game? Also, is Frederick the perfect husbando or what? 😁 

Yay, someone mentioned the bunnies! 🐰🐰

A bunny mentioning bunnies? Such a thing IS possible! :D

Slice of Ace
12 minutes ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Is that from the bit where Lissa complains about the prospect of "roughing it" suggested by Frederick at the start of the game? Also, is Frederick the perfect husbando or what? 😁 

Yep, that's the bit.

Hahaha, no. It's Owain. It's always Owain 😉

GeekyGamerZack
2 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Hahaha, no. It's Owain. It's always Owain 😉

What? Even when it's Dean Winchester? 😎

In all seriousness, I still can't figure out a potential husbando. Maybe it's because I subconsciously feel as though I don't need one...

Slice of Ace
1 hour ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

What? Even when it's Dean Winchester? 😎

Haha, I thought we were restricted to anime or anime-style characters. Anyway, I think that's enough of a detour from the discussion 😅

MercyIsVictory

Haha, I thought we were restricted to anime or anime-style characters. Anyway, I think that's enough of a detour from the discussion 😅

*peeks out from behind book*

Oh, uh, yeah, anime! Gotta love all those...references...to, um...those guys who are......cool? Yup. Totally.

*coughs*

*goes back to reading book*

On 4/27/2019 at 2:40 PM, MercyIsVictory said:

I think I'll leave my comment here this time! The audience here might be more appropriate.

Haha, I STILL read with a freakishly obsessive voracity; I never stopped from childhood on, and I never go anywhere without a book. So yes, stories can be very powerful and have had a huge impact on me, especially when coming to terms with romantic/sexual orientations. However, and you briefly touched on this in your video, my takeaway from this whole topic is that, while these kinds of representative stories are helpful, we still live in a society where they can be considered shameful and something that must be done in secret. Whenever I sought out gay-themed books that appealed to my romantic interests - "Maurice," "Call Me by Your Name," "Die Mitte der Welt," as a few examples - I had to hide them away and read them in private, where my family would never find out. 

Back in high school, I rented a movie from my local library called "Coming Out." It was made in the former East Germany and was the only film made in that country to feature homosexuality as a main theme. So not only was it a fascinating, rare portrayal of a sexual minority in a Communist society, but it premiered on the night the Berlin Wall fell and is therefore something of a valuable historical document. I was very intrigued, and I still think it's quite a good movie. The sexual aspects of it did nothing for me, of course, but I couldn't deny that the romantic parts did, and I found the actor who played the main character ridiculously, deeply attractive. :P Anyway, my parents discovered it in my room; that evening, my Dad took me for a walk around our neighborhood and told me how distressed my Mom was, and when I went back, I had to go to her - she had been crying - and I had to reassure her that no, I wasn't gay, I was only interested in the movie for academic reasons, no Mom, you have nothing to worry about. And this was at a time when I still had no idea that asexuality was an option, that there was a term to explain these bewildering half-yes, half-no things I was telling her, that even though it somehow felt I was lying to her, I wasn't. It was confusing and scary, and from that point on until I moved out, I was never that careless again with the stories I'd chosen to consume. This isn't even a story I can talk about openly with others, as I'm very aware it gives acephobic people exactly the ammunition they'd be looking for to try and deny my asexuality under the guise of repressed homosexuality.

Anyway. For a "rushed" video, this was still very thought-provoking. :)

Yes, I was this person! Well, sort of! I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with your parents, btw; I can imagine how difficult that situation must have been.

I’ve always been a keen reader (heck, I was even reading books by Bill Bryson and Jack London at the age of 11) and I try to read as broadly as possible (i.e. fiction and non-fiction, as well as magazines and newspapers). I overwhelmingly favoured non-fiction as a teenager, though, mostly because the YA market in the UK was still in its infancy during the early 2000s (tons of Buffy and Dawson's Creek tie-ins, alas), so it was often surprisingly difficult to find the low-key and naturalistic YA novels that I really liked (such as Tim Bowler's River Boy and Jeff Gomez's Young Americans). Tom Holt, Terry Pratchett, Philip Pullman and J.K. Rowling, as well as the film adaptations of Lord Of The Rings, ensured that there was a really heavy emphasis on fantasy novels at that point in time. Which was bad news for me because, even as a kid, I had absolutely no interest in watching the likes of E.T. and Jurassic Park (yes, I'm one of *those* weirdos who generally hates special effects).

Plus, my local bookstore didn’t even have a proper teenage area that was distinct from the children’s section and the resultant juxtaposition was off-putting. It also didn’t help that reading fiction for pleasure had caused problems at school: one friend ribbed me when he discovered that I had enjoyed certain novels and, because I was introverted, other peers eventually called me gay/queer and kicked me in the shins/nether regions. Reading football biographies happened to be just as fun and a lot more socially acceptable.

I slowly got back into fiction once I finished my postgraduate studies but - because I’m a lot more self-conscious about my homoromanticism than my asexuality (which is *really* saying something and, to be honest, I don’t even like to regard myself as gay) - I’ve never read an LGBT+ book. However, it’s telling that I once purchased one of my favourite albums, Behaviour by the Pet Shop Boys, on MP3 rather than CD or vinyl, and my love for that album (I particularly appreciate its downtempo and introspective vibe) has always been something of a secret shame.

And, when I was in my early 20s, I developed an interest in a gay storyline from the German soap opera Verbotene Liebe on YouTube (I know, I know). I was violently in denial about my homoromanticism at the time and, because it didn’t resort to the common British soap opera tropes of public humiliation and romantic deception, it was pretty much the first gay-related content that I could relate to. I especially appreciated the fact that the videos were subtitled and not dubbed, which enabled me to watch them with the volume turned on and not feel quite so guilty about it.

Here’s some context: beyond the occasional soap opera storyline – those plots always intimidated me because they usually implied that closeted gay men had to self-sabotage their lives in order for them to accept their sexuality - there was barely any LGBT-related content on TV during my formative years. In fact, a coming out storyline on Coronation Street from 2004 (which was generally regarded as a really big deal at the time) provoked one of my sixth form tutors to openly describe one scene where two male characters held hands (or something like that) as unnerving.

Graham Norton’s chat show on Channel 4 was more fashionable but, at the time, critics regarded him as a smutty 18-rated comedian whose repertoire was overly reliant on fetish websites and sex toys. I never had the courage that you clearly had to check if my local library stocked any gay-related books and DVDs but, considering that Brokeback Mountain wasn’t cinematically released until I’d moved away to university, I doubt they would have had any. I grew up in Yorkshire, after all. Anyway, it was hard enough to find books and films with sensitive male protagonists that I could identify with, regardless of sexuality, never mind ones that featured gay characters!

This meant that Will & Grace was probably the only vaguely aspirational gay-related programme around, even though I watched it secretly and subtitled in my bedroom with the sound turned off (I was never that fussed about it, but some positive representation on TV was better than none). And that was probably a wise decision because, when I applied to a Manchester-based university, my mum pretty much discouraged me from even considering an offer by immediately saying “but that’s where Canal Street is, love”. My brother-in-law actually comes from the Middle East, and one of my siblings has openly described gay people as creepy, so that side of things is, erm, complicated.

MercyIsVictory

Okay okay okay, so many things to respond to here! 

55 minutes ago, antheap said:

Yes, I was this person! Well, sort of! I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with your parents, btw; I can imagine how difficult that situation must have been.

My parents are actually very accepting of my asexuality now, now that I've explained everything ad nauseam and they've overcome their initial confusion. (Fortunately, asexuality fits very nicely into a religious worldview.) I've never told them I'm homoromantic, though, and I doubt I'll ever be able to say it outright. I've hinted at it as much as I can, though.

Which was bad news for me because, even as a kid, I had absolutely no interest in watching the likes of E.T. and Jurassic Park (yes, I'm one of *those* weirdos who generally hates special effects).

If that applies to CGI as well, then same here! (Though I loved Jurassic Park, haha. My parents refused to let me watch it until I was 12, "because it's so scary," so that obviously made me crave it that much more!) Nah, give me a good horror film or a psychological drama any day of the week. (I tend to not talk about my movie tastes too much, as I fear I might subconsciously come across as snobbish.)

because I’m a lot more self-conscious about my homoromanticism than my asexuality (which is *really* saying something and, to be honest, I don’t even like to regard myself as gay)

1,000% same. Never once have I felt I identified with the wider gay community. Homoromanticism has ALWAYS been, for me, the hidden and closely guarded part of my identity. I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable referring to myself as "gay," so it's great to hear I'm not alone there.

And, when I was in my early 20s, I developed an interest in a gay storyline from the German soap opera Verbotene Liebe on YouTube (I know, I know).

It's SO funny you mention "Verbotene Liebe." I've never watched it, but I'm definitely familiar with that storyline. :P Personally, my introduction to that world came with the subtitled DeRo storylines on "Alles was zählt." (Similar community, same language, so maybe you heard about it back in the day?) I watched that obsessively - so much so that, once I eventually became fluent in German and no longer needed subtitles, I started watching the full-length episodes, and I still watch it every day to keep up my exposure to the language. 😂😂 (Although sadly, that gay storyline hasn't existed for years.)

GeekyGamerZack

Well, this is embarrassing...I had to scroll all the way up because I thought I'd clicked on the Homoromantic Guys Chat by mistake. I guess I'm the one responsible for veering this discussion WAY off-topic, so...uh...whoops? 😅

Anyways, I'd definitely watch a video of @Slice of Ace baking a cake. He once mentioned something called a "Victoriace sponge", so a demonstration of how to make it (or at least how to eat it) would be phenomenal. (Also, I think I just gave myself a craving for sponge cake...mmm... 😋)

Slice of Ace
2 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Anyways, I'd definitely watch a video of @Slice of Ace baking a cake. He once mentioned something called a "Victoriace sponge", so a demonstration of how to make it (or at least how to eat it) would be phenomenal. (Also, I think I just gave myself a craving for sponge cake...mmm... 😋)

No comment 🤐

On 5/3/2019 at 1:14 AM, MercyIsVictory said:

If that applies to CGI as well, then same here! (Though I loved Jurassic Park, haha. My parents refused to let me watch it until I was 12, "because it's so scary," so that obviously made me crave it that much more!) Nah, give me a good horror film or a psychological drama any day of the week. (I tend to not talk about my movie tastes too much, as I fear I might subconsciously come across as snobbish.)

I'm not completely against CGI (I don't mind Shrek and Toy Story, for starters), but I’ve disliked quite a few Pixar films, especially Finding Nemo (that's going to make me unpopular!), much to the bafflement of practically everyone I know. There are probably a few exceptions, but I can only tolerate blockbusters when the special effects are subtle and unintrusive; I just don’t like busy or noisy films, unfortunately, which is a shame because it makes going to the cinema with friends more awkward and difficult.

So, yeah, give me a gentle comedy-drama (stuff like Almost Famous, Before Sunrise, Billy Liar, L.A. Story, Paterson and Pleasantville) or a world cinema title that isn’t Pan’s Labyrinth over the latest Marvel release any day. I like some psychological dramas, too! Fun fact: I once spent the best part of a month thinking that the 2012 Avengers film was a reboot of the 60s British TV series. :lol:

I got into world cinema at a relatively young age, about 16-ish, after watching Luc Besson’s Taxi on DVD (an unlikely entry point in hindsight) and reading about Goodbye, Lenin! in The Sunday Times, which steered me away from the Jim Carrey-type comedies that I liked at the time. I also loved Caché, The Edukators, Offside and The Motorcycle Diaries during my formative years and, because I studied French at high school (but not German, alas!), I do have a soft spot for French cinema. Like you, I’m usually coy about my cultural preferences because I genuinely don't want to come across as a contrarian.

Anyway, all of this waffling has relevance to Daniel’s video because foreign-language films and TV shows have made it easier for me to access LGBT stories. For instance, I really enjoyed the Brazilian film The Way He Looks, which is about a blind teenager who falls in love with his male best friend, and I especially appreciated its ace-friendly plot and tone. Reading subtitles also helped me to feel less self-conscious about any homoromantic elements because my mind was already preoccupied with processing the dialogue and subtitles. As mentioned, I prefer non-fiction to novels and, in a nod to one of Daniel’s earlier videos, I lean towards non-narrative gaming (I’m *that* guy who loved Gran Turismo, Pro Evolution Soccer, Tekken and Virtua Tennis as a teenager), so opportunities for me to engage with gay characters are scant.

1,000% same. Never once have I felt I identified with the wider gay community. Homoromanticism has ALWAYS been, for me, the hidden and closely guarded part of my identity. I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable referring to myself as "gay," so it's great to hear I'm not alone there.

Again, this is really reassuring. I struggle to identify with the gay ace label because I consider gay to be shorthand for homosexual, in the same way that I consider straight to be shorthand for heterosexual and ace to be shorthand for asexual (just to clarify, though, I have absolutely nothing against the gay ace label and I also have no problem with other aces using that particular label - this is all purely subjective).

Trying to actively analyse my sexuality and unsuccessfully come out to friends as gay (I never found the right situation and words – I now know why I couldn’t find the right words, of course) just made everything seem so complicated, confusing and messy. Plus, the attention that will inevitably come from being openly homoromantic is unnerving. I’m not fully at ease with my asexuality, of course, but self-identifying as a homormantic asexual has helped to make processing my sexuality a lot easier and simpler.

It's SO funny you mention "Verbotene Liebe." I've never watched it, but I'm definitely familiar with that storyline. :P Personally, my introduction to that world came with the subtitled DeRo storylines on "Alles was zählt." (Similar community, same language, so maybe you heard about it back in the day?) I watched that obsessively - so much so that, once I eventually became fluent in German and no longer needed subtitles, I started watching the full-length episodes, and I still watch it every day to keep up my exposure to the language. 😂😂 (Although sadly, that gay storyline hasn't existed for years.)

I wasn’t aware of DeRo until now but, then again, I have never dipped into or engaged with the Chrolli fandom community – I just liked watching the videos on YouTube! :ph34r: I only had the courage to tentatively follow the storyline at this point, largely because I was still trying to consciously pass myself off as straight and avoid thinking about other guys as much as possible. After all, Chrolli was probably the first time that I didn’t feel completely uncomfortable with the reality of liking other guys.

I’m sure that I would have loved DeRo, though: I’ve always been a hopeless sports obsessive, so I tend to find those storylines very believable and relatable. The breezy and low-key vibe of Verbotene Liebe was a great source of comfort at the time, so I probably would have felt the same way about Alles was zählt. Deniz is definitely cute (okay, that’s an understatement), too, and I still have the absolute homoromantic hots for Christian Mann. :wub: Likewise, I rewatch old Verbotene Liebe clips from time to time!

MercyIsVictory
1 hour ago, antheap said:

I got into world cinema at a relatively young age, about 16-ish, after watching Luc Besson’s Taxi on DVD (an unlikely entry point in hindsight) and reading about Goodbye, Lenin! in The Sunday Times..

Deniz is definitely cute (okay, that’s an understatement), too...

I don't want to monopolize this public thread for a private conversation (feel free to PM me if you want to discuss things more!), so I'm just going to say two more things here as a response:

1) "Goodbye, Lenin!" is a friggin' phenomenal movie.

2) I've met the actor who plays Deniz. :P I hung out with him for a day in Cologne, way back in 2012. He's awesome.

GeekyGamerZack
13 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

No comment 🤐

Aw... 🙁

@Slice of Ace When's New Vid O'Clock, aka the highlight of my weekend YT-ing? 😆

MercyIsVictory

Aw... 🙁

If you go to YouTube, it's already there! :)

Slice of Ace
5 hours ago, antheap said:

Anyway, all of this waffling has relevance to Daniel’s video because foreign-language films and TV shows have made it easier for me to access LGBT stories. For instance, I really enjoyed the Brazilian film The Way He Looks, which is about a blind teenager who falls in love with his male best friend, and I especially appreciated its ace-friendly plot and tone. Reading subtitles also helped me to feel less self-conscious about any homoromantic elements because my mind was already preoccupied with processing the dialogue and subtitles. As mentioned, I prefer non-fiction to novels and, in a nod to one of Daniel’s earlier videos, I lean towards non-narrative gaming (I’m *that* guy who loved Gran Turismo, Pro Evolution Soccer, Tekken and Virtua Tennis as a teenager), so opportunities for me to engage with gay characters are scant.

I need to find some french films/TV series to watch actually, just to practice. I wonder how many gay ones there are? I've pretty much ran out of all the English gay rom coms on my streaming services 😂

5 hours ago, antheap said:

I still have the absolute homoromantic hots for Christian Mann

Wow, I agree. Just looked him up and that guy is hot 👍

Aw... 🙁

Hahaha, let's just say I need a lot more subscribers before anything of the sort happens 😝

I schedule them to drop at midnight Friday/Saturday my time, which is currently BST. If I don't do it while I'm asleep, I'd be constantly checking for how many people have watched it which is a waster of my time 😂 I post them on here in the morning when I get up, which is generally 6:00-7:00 BST. Sooo, without further ado:

Spoiler

MercyIsVictory
2 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

I need to find some french films/TV series to watch actually, just to practice. I wonder how many gay ones there are? I've pretty much ran out of all the English gay rom coms on my streaming services 😂

Wow, I agree. Just looked him up and that guy is hot 👍

Hahaha, let's just say I need a lot more subscribers before anything of the sort happens 😝

I schedule them to drop at midnight Friday/Saturday my time, which is currently BST. If I don't do it while I'm asleep, I'd be constantly checking for how many people have watched it which is a waster of my time 😂 I post them on here in the morning when I get up, which is generally 6:00-7:00 BST. Sooo, without further ado:

Reveal hidden contents

Haha! I'm sure there are lots of French gay movies out there. And yes, Thore Schölermann is his name, and he's quite the looker indeed! There's another German soap called "Unter Uns" which currently features two main characters in a gay relationship, and one of them - the actor's name is Timothy Boldt - is.....gah. Also deeply attractive. But unfortunately straight in real life. 😕 

Whoo, new video! Unfortunately, it's almost 11 PM Phoenix time, meaning I'm off to bed, so I can't stay and converse. G'night, y'all!

GeekyGamerZack

Sooo, without further ado:

Reveal hidden contents

I realised as the video was finishing that I'm now probably going to be recognised as "that guy mentioned in that one Slice of Ace video" once my YouTube channel properly launches. 😅

And then I realised...

Kitty! 😆

This was another really interesting video! As lunakat805 mentioned, being asexual has given me a lot more free time to focus on personal projects and, in the words of ddlsphr, not feeling pressured into doing certain things can be very liberating. And, yes, being part of a supportive and non-judgemental community is nice! I’m not someone who wants to be defined by my sexuality, but I was surprised by how much I related to some of those responses.

10 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

I need to find some french films/TV series to watch actually, just to practice. I wonder how many gay ones there are?

I really liked 120 BPM (Beats Per Minutes), but I should mention that the handful of sex scenes are quite graphic. Arnaud Valois, of course, was immediately added to my mental list of extremely handsome guys.

Slice of Ace

This is what happens when you have too much time to yourself and appreciate explicit definitions:

Spoiler

GeekyGamerZack
19 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

This is what happens when you have too much time to yourself and appreciate explicit definitions:

Reveal hidden contents

Whoa, this vid's received so many likes. Congrats! 😊

Slice of Ace

Yaaaawn, I forgot to bring my Switch on a four-hour train ride, so here's an early video to occupy myself 😂

Spoiler

Archived