Slice of Ace YouTube channel discussion

Slice of Ace

Celyn: The Lutening

I am an owl. This pleases me immensely. 

Slice of Ace

New video! I woke up to loads of people laughing at me for not realising I'd said something implicitly sexual 😂

Spoiler

GeekyGamerZack
5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

New video! I woke up to loads of people laughing at me for not realising I'd said something implicitly sexual 😂

Hide contents

PRETTY sure I have a -1 Charisma modifier on my IRL character sheet. Ironic, since Bard is my base class.😜

Two new videos... kind of. It's more like a long video split into four, two parts of which I've just released because I didn't think people would want to listen to a 75-minute interview in one weekend. I interviewed @K. Derrick about his research in asexual characters in literature.

Part 1:

Spoiler

Part 2:

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Two new videos... kind of. It's more like a long video split into four, two parts of which I've just released because I didn't think people would want to listen to a 75-minute interview in one weekend...

:P I could've handled the full video. I did, recently, watch a 3-and-a-half-hour long tennis match that Wimbledon had put on YouTube, on two, separate viewings.

Really enjoyed this latest video.Thank you. K. Derrick has posted on one of @fuzzipueo 's threads here on AVEN ( about Ace characters) and there are some thought provoking points made.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:38 PM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:P I could've handled the full video. I did, recently, watch a 3-and-a-half-hour long tennis match that Wimbledon had put on YouTube, on two, separate viewings.

Now you can finish it! 

I've popped the second two parts onto the channel 

Spoiler

Fascinating. I've never really focused on characters' sexuality or romanticism unless forced to by the author / producer.

Sherlock Holmes was already awesome, but now he's even more awesome! Now every time I read a book or see a film or show, I'm going to look for signs they might be ace.  

Haha, I think this is the first video I've done annoyed. I had a lot fewer ums and ahs 😂

Spoiler

I like how my channel banner on AVEN has slowly degenerated into a blurry mess 😅 I'll have to fix that at some point!

At least it's colorful. And you can still make out the slice of cake on the left.

For some reason, I was in the mood to give unsolicited coming out advice earlier this week 😂

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

For some reason, I was in the mood to give unsolicited coming out advice earlier this week 😂

Hide contents

The subtitles say "Hello hello hello hey Lou." I am easily amused. 

15 minutes ago, Celyn said:

The subtitles say "Hello hello hello hey Lou." I am easily amused. 

Haha, I love the autocaptions!

On 9/28/2019 at 3:20 AM, Slice of Ace said:

Reveal hidden contents

People are subscribing to your channel in droves and that video already has over 100 views in its first day. I'd consider that solicited 🙂

I know for me personally, and I would venture to say that for most people, wanting to come out is what drives many LGBTQ+ people to start searching the web for resources like AVEN and channels like yours in the first place.

Slice of Ace

Video! Specifically, my one year anniversary. Yay!

Spoiler

Oh! It's been one year, already? Wow! Congrats! 🎉

(Not that your first video was bad--I understand about being nervous because I would be, too--but I can see that, from your speeches, you now sound more confident about your channel. You've come a long way!)

:) I didn't know that you knew a bit of French. Have you been to France, or do you plan on visiting there?

Slice of Ace
3 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I didn't know that you knew a bit of French. Have you been to France, or do you plan on visiting there?

I did French at GCSE, A-level, and studied Physics with a European language. I spent a year living in (the French-speaking part of) Switzerland and had a Swiss boyfriend for a bit 😂 I'm a little rusty but I can get by 😊

I've been to France a couple of times when I was younger, but I'd definitely want to visit again!

9 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Video! Specifically, my one year anniversary. Yay!

Hide contents

Congrats!!🎉It's not easy planning topics! Well done!! 🙌🏼👏🏼

My friend Sam, who also does ace videos on the channel Samantha Aimee, tagged me in a label tag video. So here's my response! Have some assorted facts about me (and Aragorn, apparently 😂)

Spoiler

Also, I plea guilty on the charge of clickbait 😅

I agree with your premise that labels can be very useful and relevant. I think we're sometimes too quick to dismiss labels because we falsely equate labels with stereotypes. I certainly use the label 'gay' to describe myself, but there are many parts of the traditional stereotype in the U.S. that simply do not fit. I identify much more with the Slytherin stereotype 😁.

It's always nice to get to know someone better...this video and topic should be promoted in some of the other forums here (specifically the homoromantic guys chat) as a) it is a great way to learn more about one another and b) they're always in dire need of a conversation starter 😂

Internetlionboy

omg nice! You've earned a sub ^^

On 10/16/2019 at 5:26 AM, Ringmaster04 said:

I agree with your premise that labels can be very useful and relevant. I think we're sometimes too quick to dismiss labels because we falsely equate labels with stereotypes. I certainly use the label 'gay' to describe myself, but there are many parts of the traditional stereotype in the U.S. that simply do not fit. I identify much more with the Slytherin stereotype 😁.

It's always nice to get to know someone better...this video and topic should be promoted in some of the other forums here (specifically the homoromantic guys chat) as a) it is a great way to learn more about one another and b) they're always in dire need of a conversation starter 😂

Indeed. People tend to say "I don't need labels to define me!" very defensively. To me, it's just a word to succintly summarise a complex topic. For example, if you saw a 🐯, but didn't know what a 🐯 is, you might call it a cat. Is that accurate? Not necessarily. But it does give someone a better idea of what you're talking about.

Haha, the problem with the homoromantic aces chat (I still follow the conversation) is they're treating it like a normal conversation instead of a forum conversation. It doesn't matter if someone doesn't reply in a while, just continue talking instead of asking "How are you?" every new day 😅 But if you want to share it, feel free 😊 I don't like self-promoting too much.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:29 AM, Internetlionboy said:

omg nice! You've earned a sub ^^

Thanks!

Since this video is special, I made a thread for it:

Also, you better like that thumbnail 'cos it took ages 😂

GeekyGamerZack

I apologise for not posting much in ages. I have a valid excuse, though: I just watched your latest upload and thought to myself, "Oh yeah...I exist, don't I?" Funny, the things that slip your mind, inni'? 😜

The real reason is that I've been so busy lately that I keep finding myself with less free time than normal. Seems as though procrastination takes a LOT more effort than people realise. 🙃

GeekyGamerZack

Here's a thought: Which of the Avengers (MCU) do you consider highly likely to be asexual? This obviously doesn't have to be straight up aro ace, either, as you'll see in my example (SPOILER WARNING!):

To me, Vision is a likely candidate for being ace. Yes, I know he's not strictly a biological entity, being a manifestation of J.A R.V.I.S combined with the Mindstone, but he is technically alive and does display emotions, in particular a strong romantic attachment to Wanda, so it isn't a complete cop-out.

If I had to label him, I'd suggest either heteroromantic asexual or, perhaps more accurately, xenoromantic asexual, as he is an entirely different form of life than humanity (and thus probably transcends the concept of being biologically male/female anyway), yet he still has romantic feelings for at least one human.

5 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Here's a thought: Which of the Avengers (MCU) do you consider highly likely to be asexual? This obviously doesn't have to be straight up aro ace, either, as you'll see in my example (SPOILER WARNING!):

Reveal hidden contents

To me, Vision is a likely candidate for being ace. Yes, I know he's not strictly a biological entity, being a manifestation of J.A R.V.I.S combined with the Mindstone, but he is technically alive and does display emotions, in particular a strong romantic attachment to Wanda, so it isn't a complete cop-out.

If I had to label him, I'd suggest either heteroromantic asexual or, perhaps more accurately, xenoromantic asexual, as he is an entirely different form of life than humanity (and thus probably transcends the concept of being biologically male/female anyway), yet he still has romantic feelings for at least one human.

Okay, one:

Spoiler

I don't want Vision to be ace because he needs to have a son with Scarlet Witch, William Kaplan A.K.A. Wiccan. Wiccan is gay and has a really great relationship with Hulkling in the comics 😆

And two, he's an artificial organism and by gosh, us aces don't need more comparisons to robots 😅

Honestly, I think it's difficult to ascertain whether any of them are ace because there isn't explicit sexual content... thankfully 😂 

2 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

by gosh, us aces don't need more comparisons to robots

BY GOSH you're so right.

Same goes for nonbinary characters in fiction. For the love of all that's good, can we have some enbies that aren't robots or aliens?

GeekyGamerZack
3 hours ago, SCelyton said:

For the love of all that's good, can we have some enbies that aren't robots or aliens?

One of my series' protagonists, known as the Wanderer, is nonbinary, and their arc is (at least by completed and pre-planned episode count combined) the longest by far. However, their story is told in a way that overlaps with the other protags' spotlight seasons, which makes sense once you understand their role.

I'd explain more, but I'm highly anti-spoiler. Also, I don't want this to become a plug of my own work in @Slice of Ace's channel thread. I already did that once before and it wasn't at all enjoyable. Instead, I'll plug Slice's YouTube channel:

youtube.com/SliceOfAce

Give it a look. You shan't be disappointed. 👍

Archived