Slice of Ace YouTube channel discussion

Slice of Ace

MercyIsVictory
9 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Myths of Ace 2 AKA Daniel messes about with the special effects 😜

But...how did you make that video if you don't exist??! I'm so confused...

GeekyGamerZack
8 hours ago, MercyIsVictory said:

But...how did you make that video if you don't exist??! I'm so confused...

Wait...how were we able to watch it if WE don't exist?! This just opens up a family-size can of nonexistent worms! 😕

MercyIsVictory
14 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Wait...how were we able to watch it if WE don't exist?! This just opens up a family-size can of nonexistent worms! 😕

AVEN: Providing quality, family-friendly, existential crises since 2001!

Slice of Ace

Indeed it is, and here beeth the video:

Spoiler

GeekyGamerZack

I completely relate with you regarding the reading of the book...things. I used to read all the time when I was younger. Then, at the tender age of 10, my life changed course in the direction of a little thing known as "gaming", which gradually and/or rapidly replaced reading books in my relatively short list of hobbies and pastimes.

Bottom line: If it weren't for that Nintendo 64 console, I may have read the Harry Potter novels BEFORE watching the fill-ems! (I swear, the books are on my to-do list. Don't call me a procrastinator just because I'm a Hufflepuff. 😅)

EDIT: Oh, and YouTube has pretty much replaced watching live television on said hobbies list. So if it weren't for YT, I...may have still watched your videos anyway, to be honest.

MercyIsVictory
8 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Indeed it is, and here beeth the video:

Reveal hidden contents

3 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

I completely relate with you regarding the reading of the book...things. I used to read all the time when I was younger. Then, at the tender age of 10, my life changed course in the direction of a little thing known as "gaming", which gradually and/or rapidly replaced reading books in my relatively short list of hobbies and pastimes.

I think I'll leave my comment here this time! The audience here might be more appropriate.

Haha, I STILL read with a freakishly obsessive voracity; I never stopped from childhood on, and I never go anywhere without a book. So yes, stories can be very powerful and have had a huge impact on me, especially when coming to terms with romantic/sexual orientations. However, and you briefly touched on this in your video, my takeaway from this whole topic is that, while these kinds of representative stories are helpful, we still live in a society where they can be considered shameful and something that must be done in secret. Whenever I sought out gay-themed books that appealed to my romantic interests - "Maurice," "Call Me by Your Name," "Die Mitte der Welt," as a few examples - I had to hide them away and read them in private, where my family would never find out. 

Back in high school, I rented a movie from my local library called "Coming Out." It was made in the former East Germany and was the only film made in that country to feature homosexuality as a main theme. So not only was it a fascinating, rare portrayal of a sexual minority in a Communist society, but it premiered on the night the Berlin Wall fell and is therefore something of a valuable historical document. I was very intrigued, and I still think it's quite a good movie. The sexual aspects of it did nothing for me, of course, but I couldn't deny that the romantic parts did, and I found the actor who played the main character ridiculously, deeply attractive. :P Anyway, my parents discovered it in my room; that evening, my Dad took me for a walk around our neighborhood and told me how distressed my Mom was, and when I went back, I had to go to her - she had been crying - and I had to reassure her that no, I wasn't gay, I was only interested in the movie for academic reasons, no Mom, you have nothing to worry about. And this was at a time when I still had no idea that asexuality was an option, that there was a term to explain these bewildering half-yes, half-no things I was telling her, that even though it somehow felt I was lying to her, I wasn't. It was confusing and scary, and from that point on until I moved out, I was never that careless again with the stories I'd chosen to consume. This isn't even a story I can talk about openly with others, as I'm very aware it gives acephobic people exactly the ammunition they'd be looking for to try and deny my asexuality under the guise of repressed homosexuality.

Anyway. For a "rushed" video, this was still very thought-provoking. :)

GeekyGamerZack

@MercyIsVictory I'm glad at least ONE of us still reads with a passion! Then again, I do a fair amount of actually writing things for others to read, so...um...that count as a fair compromise, right? "If I can't read 'em, then I'll write 'em instead." 😁

MercyIsVictory
1 minute ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

@MercyIsVictory I'm glad at least ONE of us still reads with a passion! Then again, I do a fair amount of actually writing things for others to read, so...um...that count as a fair compromise, right? "If I can't read 'em, then I'll write 'em instead." 😁

Hah! I write as well, although so far, it's pretty much been all for my enjoyment alone and nothing I would ever share with other people. :P

GeekyGamerZack
On 2/9/2019 at 5:23 PM, Slice of Ace said:

Would you like to see this turned into a series? If so, do you have any suggestions for ace representation I should cover?

How about this classic example of Ace representation in Doctor Who😁

Probably not the right definition, but hey, Ace is represent. 🙃

Celyn: The Lutening

On the topic of reading SFF...I'd like to start my own #BookTubeSFF channel - just because I want a platform to shout about books more than anything - do you have any advice, Grand Master? What do you use to edit (I mean for me it won't be mich more than musics and flashing the covers up on screen but I KNOW NOTHING)?

GeekyGamerZack
On 4/27/2019 at 11:56 PM, MercyIsVictory said:

Hah! I write as well, although so far, it's pretty much been all for my enjoyment alone and nothing I would ever share with other people. :P

Have I linked you to my series yet? If not, I could PM you. ;)

Oh...haha, sorry for hijacking your thread and going WAY off-topic, @Slice of Ace. 😅

Slice of Ace
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, GeekyGamerZack said:

the books are on my to-do list. Don't call me a procrastinator just because I'm a Hufflepuff

Eh, I stopped reading the books on the penultimate one because I lost interest 😝

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, MercyIsVictory said:

Whenever I sought out gay-themed books that appealed to my romantic interests - "Maurice," "Call Me by Your Name," "Die Mitte der Welt," as a few examples - I had to hide them away and read them in private, where my family would never find out. 

That's a good point! Even now, I still consume gay media discreetly because I want people to see me as a guy who is gay, not a gay guy (if that makes any sense?). Not to mention guys in the closet who wouldn't be able to openly read/watch/play that stuff without risk of being outed.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:01 AM, GeekyGamerZack said:

How about this classic example of Ace representation in Doctor Who😁

Ahh, old Doctor Who: the epitome of British cheese.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, Celyn said:

On the topic of reading SFF...I'd like to start my own #BookTubeSFF channel - just because I want a platform to shout about books more than anything - do you have any advice, Grand Master? What do you use to edit (I mean for me it won't be mich more than musics and flashing the covers up on screen but I KNOW NOTHING)?

Yay, you could be my YouTube friend! I use HitFilm Express (the free version) to edit (https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express). I tried out a few different softwares before starting but I preferred the UI on this one. Plus, it's fairly fully-featured for a free package. The only thing I've bought with it is a noise reduction feature because my mic is awful, and even then that only costed a matter of pounds. 

As for other advice, it depends what you want to do with it really. I'm never going to do Slice of Ace full time so I generally do up to five hours spread over the weekdays per video. That's maintainable and allows me to keep a half-decent level of quality without pouring tonnes of time into it. Consistency and quality are far more important than frequency. Doing a good video every fortnight is better than five rubbish videos per week. Umm, before doing a video, I write some quick notes to keep me on track. It only comes to a few short, grammatically-inconsistent lines and/or words, but it helps me to not just stare into the camera for five minutes or start singing 😂

Ooh thankyou, that's a huge help!

Yeah my frequency would be more like once a fortnight because that's roughly how long it takes me to read a book. Definitely planning to have a rough script too (except my problem would be rambling waay off topic)

Also I would totally not mind it if you did just start singing in the middle of a video.

Slice of Ace
9 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Also I would totally not mind it if you did just start singing in the middle of a video.

Oh trust me, you would mind 😝 I'm absolutely dreadful at singing 😝😝😝

MercyIsVictory
21 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

That's a good point! Even now, I still consume gay media discreetly because I want people to see me as a guy who is gay, not a gay guy (if that makes any sense?). Not to mention guys in the closet who wouldn't be able to openly read/watch/play that stuff without risk of being outed.

I still do that as well (very discreetly even), but mostly because I'd rather be seen as asexual! I'm much more comfortable explaining that part of myself than the gay part. Ah well. Hahaha, and I second that! I think it would be delightful if you started singing in the middle of a video. :P 

Slice of Ace
5 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

I think it would be delightful if you started singing in the middle of a video. :P 

I refuse to believe anyone would enjoy me singing Linkin Park under my breath when I'm trying to think of what to say next! 😂

MercyIsVictory
1 minute ago, Slice of Ace said:

I refuse to believe anyone would enjoy me singing Linkin Park under my breath when I'm trying to think of what to say next! 😂

I probably would! Chester Bennington went to my high school, ya know. :P

Slice of Ace
6 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

I probably would! Chester Bennington went to my high school, ya know. :P

You're missing the point 😂 He can actually sing! I cannot! 😜

MercyIsVictory
4 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

You're missing the point 😂 He can actually sing! I cannot! 😜

Methinks thou dost protest too much. 😆 Well then, in that case, the people demand Scratches! Haven't seen him in a while!

Slice of Ace
6 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

Methinks thou dost protest too much. 😆 Well then, in that case, the people demand Scratches! Haven't seen him in a while! 

I'm protesting a sufficient amount, thank you very much 😜 Scratch a free spirit, coming and going like the wind - unpredictable and chaotic... except that after eating, he always asks to go out the front door, then sits on me for a bit until I have to move him off, then he sits in the seat that I was sat in, then he sleeps until he's fed. Rinse and repeat 😂 But he normally leaves the room when I record, probably because I speak quite loud to the camera 😝

GeekyGamerZack

Whoa...I just realised that Scratch's name backwards is the onomatopoeia for a cat coughing up a hairball: "hctarcs"! 😮

10 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

...Scratch a free spirit, coming and going like the wind - unpredictable and chaotic... except that after eating, he always asks to go out the front door, then sits on me for a bit until I have to move him off, then he sits in the seat that I was sat in, then he sleeps until he's fed. Rinse and repeat 😂 But he normally leaves the room when I record, probably because I speak quite loud to the camera 😝

Hmm...would silently filming your cat (since you said he probably doesn't like that you talk loudly to the camera), then adding the clip to your video work, or would he leave the moment he sees your camera?

GeekyGamerZack
17 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Hmm...would silently filming your cat (since you said he probably doesn't like that you talk loudly to the camera), then adding the clip to your video work, or would he leave the moment he sees your camera?

Any sighting of the elusive felis Scratchus is a wonder few have ever caught on camera, but those that have are truly masters of the art...of YouTube cat videos.

And might I add, meow. 😺

9 minutes ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Any sighting of the elusive felis Scratchus is a wonder few have ever caught on camera, but those that have are truly masters of the art...of YouTube cat videos.

:lol: Yeah. Although, I kind of don't blame the cat for not enjoying loud voices; I don't enjoy loud noises, either, so, I kind of react like Scratches, leaving rooms or areas if there are loud, persistent noises.

I guess it means that, if I were a cat, I'd be similar to Scratches.

Slice of Ace
4 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Haha, I have taken a few videos of him for the Scratch video I'm doing before I move to Edinburgh. I don't really want to shove a clip of him into an unrelated video though unless he naturally comes while I'm filming 😂

1 hour ago, Slice of Ace said:

I don't really want to shove a clip of him into an unrelated video though unless he naturally comes while I'm filming

Yeah that would be a bit weird. However, if you (as you have done many times) mention acephobia/homophobia that makes us all mad, you could say "here's some footage of Scratch to make you feel better!"

GeekyGamerZack
2 hours ago, Celyn said:

Yeah that would be a bit weird. However, if you (as you have done many times) mention acephobia/homophobia that makes us all mad, you could say "here's some footage of Scratch to make you feel better!"

Or just throw him into the title card. Everyone loves clickbait kitties! 😁

Archived