Am I Sex-Repulsed?

Roidgy

I used to think I was sex neutral, tho recently I noticed that I actually tend to avoid sex. When I think about sex, witness it, or hear others talk about it, i usually start feeling really physically ill, nauseous, anxious, and sometimes I have a break down. When I do have sex I usually just want it over with because it's either boring, uncomfortable, or making me very nauseous. I don't know if this qualifies me as sex repulsed?

Being neutral to something generally does not involve becoming anxious and physically ill and having breakdowns, so I would say that you clearly have some degree of aversion/repulsion going on, yeah.

1 minute ago, CBC said:

Being neutral to something generally does not involve becoming anxious and physically ill and having breakdowns, so I would say that you clearly have some degree of aversion/repulsion going on, yeah.

I know for sure I'm sex averse, but I just don't know if sex aversion is the same as sex repulsion

Physical illness and breakdowns sound like reactions to repulsion to me. Although ultimately I'm not sure the terminology matters; you have significant negative feelings either way.

I'm not entirely clear on the terms, but I think the difference might be whether you are just repulsed by the idea of YOU having sex or if you are bothered by sex in society at large as well. For example, I am very much repulsed by the idea of having sex with someone myself (unless it's fantasy format - apparently my brain must interpret those differently or something), but I am never bothered to hear other people talk about their own sexual experiences or watch movies/read books that include sex scenes, or anything of that sort. I've even done some roleplaying (not the sexual kind, just the shared-story-telling kind) in which characters that I controlled have had sex with another character (we generally only go into as much detail as we need to get a basic idea of how they feel afterward, since the actual sex is not the point; so not very detailed, but existent none-the-less), and it doesn't bother me at all because it isn't me. Maybe this is the difference?

everywhere and nowhere
50 minutes ago, Roidgy said:

I know for sure I'm sex averse, but I just don't know if sex aversion is the same as sex repulsion

The distinction I find most helpful is that sex repulsion is generalised - it involves finding sex in general icky, disgusting, scary and so on - and sex aversion involves similar feelings, but only towards the idea of personally having sex. From this point of view I'm very much sex-averse, but not sex-repulsed.

Sexual orientation is believed to be inborn and stable (I agree that usually it is, but not always), but attitudes about sex can shift much more easily. Judging by some other posts of yours, it seems that you have had some bad experiences and this is what made you indeed gradually shift from sex-indifferent to sex-repulsed.

Remember, there's nothing wrong, morally or psychologically, with being sex-neutral or sex-repulsed.  We don't get to choose these aspects of ourselves.

Fluffy Femme Guy

'Sex-repulsed' is the term I would use.

6 hours ago, Tunes said:

I'm not entirely clear on the terms, but I think the difference might be whether you are just repulsed by the idea of YOU having sex or if you are bothered by sex in society at large as well. For example, I am very much repulsed by the idea of having sex with someone myself (unless it's fantasy format - apparently my brain must interpret those differently or something), but I am never bothered to hear other people talk about their own sexual experiences or watch movies/read books that include sex scenes, or anything of that sort

Pretty much my experience. I'm really 'meh' on sex scenes in movies. I'm not disgusted, but I feel they are usually unnecessary.

Archived