Correlations With Ace Identities And Musical Abilities

4108bn

Correlations With Ace Identities And Musical Abilities  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the autism spectrum?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
  2. 2. Are you a musician and/or have a high aptitude for musical activities?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • Other (specify in comments)
  3. 3. Do you have absolute pitch / perfect pitch?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, okir fokir said:

couldn’t tell you what pitch even is really.

I'd have thought that it's an attempt to toss a baseball across home plate :D (scnr)

On the Autistic spectrum 

Tried various instruments, but can't read music which doesn't help 

Also I have no sense of rhythm 

The only pitch I recognise is the one you play football on 😋 😋 

• 2 weeks later...

I can play the trumpet, and I don't have perfect  pitch, but I have a good relative pitch.

Kind of a complicated answer from me.

I'm not autistic, I lack perfect pitch, but I find discussing musical aptitude difficult. On paper, I should kind of say "yes" because I have a Master's degree in Music Performance, but this definitely didn't come from any sort of inborn talent. For most my music studies, I practiced 5-12 hours a day, every day. That said, I think I burned out hard, and after failing all my doctoral auditions in 2017, I had no choice but to take an unplanned gap year. What should have been a time to lock myself in a room and practicing became consumed by a lot of time searching for work as well as two major surgeries, one of which had severe complications. Those combined basically made 2018 doctoral auditions a terrible idea.

My life has taken a drastic turn since then, and my research side has really taken over. I have far more confidence in myself as a music scholar than I ever had as a performer, and my PhD Ethnomusicology work feels quite frankly like a higher calling than a performance route ever could have for me, as my research has an advocacy component to it. I've barely played percussion since I graduated, and I don't even have access to the instruments I love most anymore because I simply cannot afford to buy my own marimba or vibraphone, and I'm too intimidated by my current university's performance standards to even try and negotiate access to their instruments. That said, I'm still surrounded by music every day, and I do use my own training in certain respects, just in more of a research context than a performance one.

14 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Kind of a complicated answer from me.

I'm not autistic, I lack perfect pitch, but I find discussing musical aptitude difficult. On paper, I should kind of say "yes" because I have a Master's degree in Music Performance, but this definitely didn't come from any sort of inborn talent. For most my music studies, I practiced 5-12 hours a day, every day.

This!! 99% of musical ability is learned, not born. @Mezzo Forte I totally admire your ability to get in 5-12 hrs of practice per day, that's amazing!! :P

Perfect pitch is cool, but overrated. Training your ears to develop relative pitch is essentially just as useful. And pitch memory is also a thing, where you basically practice a song so much that the first note is ingrained into your brain. And ultimately, music is about far more than just pitch. Rhythm, dynamics, and timbre are super important too. And that's just critical listening, analytical listening for the emotion and energy flow is important too!!

TLDR: Musicianship is all about practice, not "born a special prodigy" talent.

overturn overturn overturn

We would like to answer the questions, but there are few problems.

We understand music only on the abstract level. Our brain works as ''sound recorder'', and we memorize anything very easy (classic works too, without scores, and we are able to play them, on various instruments and levels). And we never forget memorized piece (we call it memorized when we are able to reproduce it over some instrument).

Then, there is a problem to say that we have the absolute pitch, because we can't name sound frequencies, but we know always, without mistake, where sound is on any kind of instrument (we have an exceptional orientation over many instruments).

Then, we would say that we have a ''flexible ear'', because we are able to transpose memorized melodies automatically on any instrument, just knowing what and how to do it. In composing too.

We are good in improvisations as well, and our music thoughts are very fluent, and not based on combination of scales, ordinary passages, or mathematics. We play what we imagine and it's clear and completed as a thought or sentence.

But, if we try to explain anything what we feel on abstract level, using words, we are like dumb to others. (so, musicians will not accept us as musicians, if our knowledge is only abstract).

We can't communicate with others about music (it's limited communication), but we can communicate only through music, doing all on the practical level, expressing our abstract feelings, thoughts, and understanding.

We are not on autistic spectrum, as we know. We don't have troubles in communication with people, or socializing, but we think some people are scared of us, because our energy is strange, and ways of expressions unusual, with complexity. There is a strength and power in us not yet loosen, and we are not yet working on 100% of our true potential. 

And we know our energy makes people uncertain are we crazy or geniuses, because we are quite exceptional in everything, and it makes a big gap between us and other people, even if we wanted to be like anyone else, it was impossible. We can't change who we are.

We explain this gap which we feel, like working on different wavelengths from others, on completely different frequencies.

We will wait for others to join us one day, and play with us. Now, we work for us, and our pleasure. 

If someone wish to comment, or add something on our words, positive or negative, it's fine for us.

To add, we can decode written pieces, or we know how to read complicated jazz chords, for example, but somehow is faster and easier for us to do it by ear and memorize directly, than to read it from the scores. It's losing our time. 

3 hours ago, StormySky said:

This!! 99% of musical ability is learned, not born. @Mezzo Forte I totally admire your ability to get in 5-12 hrs of practice per day, that's amazing!! :P

Perfect pitch is cool, but overrated. Training your ears to develop relative pitch is essentially just as useful. And pitch memory is also a thing, where you basically practice a song so much that the first note is ingrained into your brain. And ultimately, music is about far more than just pitch. Rhythm, dynamics, and timbre are super important too. And that's just critical listening, analytical listening for the emotion and energy flow is important too!!

TLDR: Musicianship is all about practice, not "born a special prodigy" talent.

I also know people who developed a strong enough pitch memory to have something akin to perfect pitch as well. Relative pitch is what's really stressed in the music world.

The me that you're admiring is kind of a past self that I can't quite live up to anymore, as I definitely can't do those 5-12hr practice sessions anymore. Maybe that'll change when I have a chance to really make music for myself again, but the amount of mental energy I need in order to accomplish anything in the practice room makes longer sessions no longer all that productive.

To add to the "music is not all pitch" bandwagon, placing pitch as the end-all-be-all of music comes at the risk of ethnocentrism, as plenty of traditions place a far deeper value on aspects like timbral or rhythmic complexity than they do harmonic complexity. Good luck judging Agbekor music of Ghana exclusively by its pitch content, to name one example. :P Also, people with perfect pitch also might risk becoming more fixated on the Western tuning system (especially equal temperament tuning,) which could make tuning systems like the Indonesian Slendro/Pelog or the countless Indian Ragas be misinterpreted as "out of tune" because they do not fit the tuning systems we are accustomed to. Context is critical for music, and while pitch is a common/valid aspect of music to look at, it is far from the only factor worth considering. (As an ethnomusicologist, I can say that the beliefs surrounding the music are quite critical too, as they dictate what is valued within the music itself.)

overturn overturn overturn
28 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Also, people with perfect pitch also might risk becoming more fixated on the Western tuning system (especially equal temperament tuning,) which could make tuning systems like the Indonesian Slendro/Pelog or the countless Indian Ragas be misinterpreted as "out of tune" because they do not fit the tuning systems we are accustomed to.

It's very interesting and informative all what you wrote above. One of ''fatal'' consequences for music generally, is auto tune.

Simply, all songs are same, and lifeless, recently.

And, about quoted part, we agree. There are many 'absolute chromatic' instruments, and ways of playing, touching nuances of tones and slightly moving the pitch, but it's more interesting than precise frequencies gain artificially, by mass sound production.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ASD, but I was diagnosed with Aspergers before they were all grouped into one diagnosis.

I play the French Horn (and used to play the trumpet), and I do not have perfect pitch (although I wish I do ).

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that there probably isn't a correlation, but it's really hard to say either way without more information, and I suspect that this is a low priority research topic.

I can dance pretty well and I'm a fast learner (kinda) when it comes to the piano

• 11 months later...

@oldsoulvocalist

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived