Pumpkin

RoseGoesToYale

How do you feel about pumpkin use?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think pumpkin should be put into all different foods in fall?

• YES, bring on the pumpkin!
    • Maybe some treats, but not everything
    • Only in savory dishes
    • Don't care either way
    • NO, pumpkin is disgusting!
    • Never had pumpkin, so can't say
  2. 2. Which pumpkin treats do you like, if any?

• Pumpkin pie
    • Pumpkin spice latte
    • Pumpkin chai
    • Oven-baked pumpkins
    • Pumpkin pastry (muffins, scones, etc.)
    • Savory dishes (soup, hash, etc.)
    • Other (explain below)
    • Do seeds count?
    • Don't like/eat pumpkin
  3. 3. Do you carve pumpkins?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never even seen a pumpkin before
  4. 4. Do you smash pumpkins? (Hopefully your own...)

• Yes, haha!
    • No
    • What is a pumpkin and why would you smash one?

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

It's that time of year again... the time when coffee shop lines explode because pumpkin-everything is back!

This thread is dedicated to attitudes regarding pumpkin.

I just made two different kinds of pumpkin soup in one week. All hail the pumpkin season!

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

I'm quite indifferent about it all.

EmotionalAndroid

I know people get annoyed by all the pumpkin stuff in the Fall, but I enjoy it. I think seasonal things are fun and make the time special.

I don't think it is a big thing here.

Though we did invent carving vegetables for Halloween but we did it with turnips.

I love pumpkin pie. But over here I have to make it the hard way (with real pumpkin and a risk of cutting in my fingers :lol: ), as they don't sell cans of pumpkin puree, or cubed frozen pumpkin. (last year I already cheated by switching to sweet potato pie instead, because it's easier and safer :ph34r: ).

Pumpkin spice latte is nice for a few times -  already had the first of the season last week :lol:, but I mustn't overdo it ;)

everywhere and nowhere

I prefer savory dishes with pumpkin, for example curry with three orange vegetables - pumpkin, carrot and sweet potatoes.

I don't recall my mom ever making any pumpkin dishes. But I like veggies (however, I never liked salads too much, I prefer warm dishes), I tried pumpkins and decided that I like them.

I’ve always loved pumpkins even before the whole pumpkin spice craze. When I get pumpkins to carve I usually get a smaller one too because they’re so cute and almost like a little pet to me.

1. I like it in some foods, but not in everything.

2. Pumpkin pie is okay(though I personally prefer strawberry rhubarb or apple), I love iced pumpkin spice lattes, oven baked pumpkins, pumpkin in pastries and savory dishes, and of course the seeds as well.

3. Yes 

4. No, I like them too much to smash them lol. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I have absolutely nothing to do with pumpkins; they smell gross so they're going nowhere near my mouth.

SpookyNameHere

No pumpkins for me. I can't stand the taste of it. I would like to try carving a pumpkin though. I haven't done that since I was a little kid and it might be fun to try it again. 

Punkin is not a foodstuff, but can make lanterns and get splattered 

Pumpkin soup. Once you carve out the pumpkin you can clean off the insides and the non-stringy stuff is a good ingredient for some soup. I make it sometimes with my family :) 

I love Trader Joe’s pumpkin bread mix and I’ll make pumpkin muffins like year round. I also love roasted pumpkin seeds in cinnamon. I also also love carving pumpkins for Halloween because I love Halloween 

pumpkin, nooooooooo.

Pumpkin chai, never heard of that. The pumpkin pie spice mix is very similar to the spices used for Masala chai, isn't it? So I wonder how pumpkin chai is different from regular chai.

LITERALLY ALL THE PUMPKIN!!! (Also, it’s good for soup and ice cream.) But yes, I love every single one of those things. I like carving pumpkins but smashing them seems rude.

1) I don't think pumpkin should be in everything, I like my noodles and pesto without pumpkin

2) I like pumpkin pie, I'm ok with pumpkin seeds, I don't like pumpkin soup, other pumpkin things I have not tried

3) I haven't carved a pumpkin in a long time, but if I had a pumpkin and a good knife I would, I always liked carving pumpkins as a kid after all

4) no

One year, when I was still a kid, the pumpkin seeds from the year before when we carved pumpkins started to grow in our yard (we didn't plant them, just some ended up falling off the porch), and then we had pumpkin up our yew tree (the tree probably wasn't happy with that), they were beautiful pumpkins, and because of that we didn't have to buy pumpkins that year to carve

LadyWallflower

I like pumpkin baked goods, like muffins, bread, and so on. They are my favorite!

In Japan, they have these pumpkin-like squashes called kabocha. I really like Hokkaido soup curry with kabocha in it, and barbecued kabocha. The mall will have homemade kabocha croquettes this time of year, but I looked today and they don't have yet.

I know pumpkin coffees and stuff are popular in the west, but it hasn't happened in Japan, not even at Starbucks.

But this time of year, kabocha flavored things, as well as chestnut flavored things, are popular. :) 

@okir fokir What's this about pumpkin ice cream?! (O_o) 

Pumpkin is AWESOME! :D I feel a strong desire to try most things that have pumpkin in them; I will admit, tho, that they're not all great. Bleh... 😑

@LadyWallflower I've never tried kabocha, but I would like to. I also like chestnut flavoured things. :) But not actual chestnuts, tho. Go figure... 

1 hour ago, Dani-Chan said:

@okir fokir What's this about pumpkin ice cream?! (O_o) 

TRY IT

1. BRING ON THE PUMPKIN

2. Pumpkin pie, pastry, savory dishes, pumpkin ice cream was mentioned, and I would like to add pumpkin smoothies.

3. I did it once. It was too messy and difficult for me lol.

4. I think about it sometimes but nah.

I used to hate pumpkin, like all the other squashes. I learned to like it when it was mixed in something. I think someone tricked me. Anyways, I love most of the pumpkin flavored stuff. Probably more than regular pumpkin pie. Pumpkin spiced latte and other drinks, and pumpkin pastries. I’ve always liked the seeds. Even made them as a kid. We’d dry them in the oven and salt them. My family would carve the pumpkins back then, too. I don’t do it now. It’s a big mess, can go bad quickly, and people can steal or bash them. My college would do a pumpkin drop every year (I think they still do) from the physics building. It was tallest building on campus. The physics department hosted it, too. That was fun to watch. 

I love pumpkin SO much! It's a nice, warm, nostalgic taste and it's something that I can share with my dog. 😋

Two years ago I learned that I'm actually allergic to pumpkin...but I will continue eating it until I get something worse than a stomach ache. 

LadyWallflower

I just discovered that kabocha is not actually Japanese, even though it is often translated as a Japanese pumpkin. Actually, it is from Cambodia, and when it was brought to Japan, it was named after Cambodia, but the name got continuously butchered until it became kabocha. Well, you learn something new every day.

Today I went out with my friends and got Hokkaido Soup Curry. My favorite ingredient is the kabocha! (Probably second is the quail egg, followed by the lotus root, and then carrot, and so on...) I recommended it to my friends in order to celebrate the start of autumn, as we just celebrated the autumnal equinox. :) 

Luftschlosseule

I love pumpkin soup, or rather, I just discovered Iiked it last year and made loads of soup with a friend and we just started the pumpkinsoup season again.

My father didn't like it, so my mother never made it. I made pumpkin quiche with another friend last year, but didn't like that, sadly.

Apart from savory dishes, I believe the only place I could get something else would be Starbucks but I've never been to Starbucks. Every time I thought I might try it, I took a look at the prices and discovered that for the same amount of money I can get a paperback book. Startbucks lost.

Archived