BBC Three - Sex Map of Britain: I Don't Want Sex

CaroDee

Upcoming BBC Three documentary on asexuality available from 20th September

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06l1knq

Unfortunately the photo they have chosen to illustrate the episode has been reused from a previous episode on sexually transmitted infections, so features a man on a hospital bed undergoing some kind of painful procedure.....hopefully this will not be the picture used when it goes live on the IPlayer!

I have filled in the feedback form on the website to point out the mistake, hope they make a change.

Is this the one that a few of us got messaged by the BBC to participate in? I feel obligated to watch it just to make sure my profile isn't featured. :p

Hopefully it'll also be up on their YouTube soon after it's released on iPlayer for international viewers.

everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, CaroDee said:

hopefully this will not be the picture used when it goes live on the IPlayer!

What is the IPlayer? Will it be viewable for users with no extra software who use computer only (I don't have any mobile devices with intenet connection) for internet content?

@Nowhere Girl, Iplayer is Windows  compatible. Just go onto bbc.co.uk/Iplayer and you'll find it 

When I try to click on IPlayer videos, a message comes up, saying, "BBC IPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it's due to rights issues." Only BBC radio works for me.

@Skycaptain and @Nowhere Girl and  @InquisitivePhilosopher and @CBC I player isn't that easy to get . At least I don't think so.  (Sorry @CaroDee I'm going off topic a bit here.) In the UK, by law, you need a TV licence to watch television. That includes BBC I Player. ( I think that some of the contracts with outfits like SKY mean you don't have to pay if you're accessing programmes via their stuff. Also, S4C, the Welsh language channel, used to be freely accessible, but I don't know if it still is.) The TV licence is issued by the BBC, the British Broadcasting Corporation, but you need it even if you're only going to watch programmes transmitted by the other channels. On principle, I refuse to pay - it's not cheap -  and I gave up my TV around 3 years ago. The official line is that a licence is not needed for radio, but I've recently found that, even if I try to access BBC Radio catch up programmes, I can't get the programme to work. Hmmph. Sorry to rant.

everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

I think you can get BBC radio on the TuneIn app.

Does "app" mean "for mobile"? If so, it's not accessible for me. My mobile is an 18-year-old model which doesn't know what is internet, apps, photography and color display. ;) Still, honestly, I prefer such a phone for a few reasons:

1. I really like being in a minority and so will gladly use a phone unlike most people use nowadays.

2. My fingers are simply too thick for touchscreen keyboards. I can't type on that, I will usually touch at least two letters at once.

3. Touchscreens also can't be used with ordinary cotton gloves. Due to my allergy, I always wear cotton gloves outdoors - sometimes my hands don't look bad at all, but I'm just so used to it that I feel strange if I'm ouside without gloves. And if I buy special gloves for touchscreens, I will scratch anyway when my poor skin itches - with my allergy, I simply tear gloves much quicker than other people. :( In the winter people also need more than just thin cotton gloves. From this point of view touchscreens which don't react to covered skin are really a very inconvenient invention.

11 hours ago, Tercy said:

Is this the one that a few of us got messaged by the BBC to participate in? I feel obligated to watch it just to make sure my profile isn't featured. 😛

I was watching a short asexual documentary a few years back and recognised one of the profiles they showed, I messaged the member and asked if they'd had permission to show it and she said no :o Hopefully that doesn't happen to you!! (unless you secretly want the fame and glory, ehe)

5 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

I think you can get BBC radio on the TuneIn app.

You can. I had that app and was able to get BBC and as far as I know, all of the regions. 

Z6lXxiy.png

(that subtext did make me laugh)

Was only released this afternoon, an interesting watch. I've never met other ace people in person, but it did feel like they chose some more extreme examples that all seemed quite introverted. It felt like they could be seen by non-ace viewers as inexperienced, rather than inherently asexual. Still, exposure is exposure I guess.

I felt some kinship with Lucy, but was saddened that she was so worried about being alone without close family. I've been in a similar situation with my entire family moving overseas a few years ago. It did teach me to get closer to my friends.

I must say her dog was so adorable!

Steph_Catherine

Just finished watching this and have to say, it was interesting to watch! Makes me wonder if there are any asexual conferences about as I'd probably really enjoy that lol (I will make it to one of these meets one day!) It is sad that society is so sexual and sex is such a big part for most people :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 2:13 PM, Steph_Catherine said:

It is sad that society is so sexual and sex is such a big part for most people :(

Sex makes a lot of people happy! I don't think it will be changing anytime soon.

Steph_Catherine
4 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

Sex makes a lot of people happy! I don't think it will be changing anytime soon.

Not doubting that lol Just unfortnate for us souls who don't want that lol Bit it is everywhere in society and all over the media and it personally grosses me out lol But everyone's different

On 9/24/2018 at 2:13 PM, Steph_Catherine said:

Just finished watching this and have to say, it was interesting to watch! Makes me wonder if there are any asexual conferences about as I'd probably really enjoy that lol (I will make it to one of these meets one day!) It is sad that society is so sexual and sex is such a big part for most people :(

There was one in the UK three months ago. We're hoping to do another UK one next year though depends on a lot of factors...

• 4 weeks later...

One of the participants has criticised the documentary.

I thought it bad that it was not mentioned at any point that some people are aromantic.  Most of the people in the documentary were anxious about finding a partner.  This might give the impression that asexuals are all romantic and likely to be frustrated in their quest for romance.

I like the BBC but this was not their finest 20 minutes.

Archived