Cosplayers?

Hecate

Just wondering if anybody here is a cosplayer as well?

I've been in the hobby for a couple of years now after two close friends got me started and I've been making my own costumes and props for that whole time. I'm pretty into videogames so most lately have been with that. It's led me into a few other things like making stuff of various fandoms (I'm making some figures for people and I've written an article for a magazine) plus quite a few friends. 

I'm not a cosplayer myself, but I love when people cosplay. I've been a gamer for going on 30 years now and I see cosplay as part of the gamer culture. I also love manga and anime, so there's cosplay as part of that culture, too. I am thinking about dressing up as "Sailor Freddy Mercury" for Halloween, though. :lol:

@Spotastic Do eeeettt! 😆 Yeah it kind of has. I've been into video games for about 28 years and it's mad how people make stuff in them, actual real things. But then I remember I do that myself. I'm pretty excited about my Iorveth cosplay I'm working on as I'm not changing it to be feminine, so going from my usual girly looks to that is going to be a lot of fun. 

I'm questioning my determination/wisdom to eventually build some foam power armour from Fallout though. As if I don't make costumes difficult enough. 🤣

I just got into cosplay a few years ago, I have only made 3 costumes so far but I really love it. I am also really into effects makeup. I am currently working on my first attempt at foam armor but it is nothing fancy just a chest piece and a leg and the rest of the costume is not armor :) its been a challenge but also so fun. its nice to see that others on here have similar hobbies!

@camilla's fx that's cool. That's what I enjoy, the challenge although plenty of times I have been cursing ever starting things! 😂 But it is so worth it in the end. 

@Hecate I love the Witcher series and think Lorveth/Iorweth would be awesome, especially without any feminine modifications. Post pics when you're done!

Power armor would be pretty cool, too. And there are so many options with which specific type you could go with. I am especially a fan of the Enclave Hellfire armor and the T-51.

EmotionalAndroid

I'm by no means fantastic at it, but I do enjoy cosplaying when I go to cons. I have had three costumes thus far.

My favorite part is finding things at thrift stores and then making them into something more recognizable. It's like a treasure hunt. It's also so much fun to wear what you have made and connect with others who like the same thing.

I've done a number of costumes for local conventions. None of them were "professional quality", but I enjoyed making and wearing them.

One of these days I'll post some photos.

I've been into cosplay for a few years now and I've made about 8 costumes or so. I've only gone to local cons so far and right now, I'm thinking about making Makoto's phantom thief outfit from Persona 5 :D

Sorry I haven't been on much to reply, it's cool to see people have a similar interest. 

@Ardoise it doesn't matter, I follow a lot of people who make props etc for a living and they have the workspace and equipment I don't so I constantly have envy over the stuff they turn out. Main thing is you have a go and enjoy it. I keep saying to people that having a can do attitude gets you further than you think. I think it's most of what gets me through most of my stuff! 😆 I just set my mind to making something and that I can.

@Spotastic I will. I keep an Instagram for my hobby stuff or whatever I don't share on my personal Facebook as a lot of my friends don't get it or the other fan related craft stuff (felted Ciri and Geralt anybody) It's nice showing the progress plus as I sometimes enter competitions it helps when I assemble my progress story to the judges. As for power armour I'm a bit unsure. I kind of like the T-60 in Fallout 4, mostly cos I always end up following the BoS faction, usually with Paladin Danse in tow as one in a suit of the stuff is pretty tough, two of you are virtually unstoppable! 😆 

Satsuriku_No_Tenshi

I tried it with my own-made costume but I've sadly not had the confidence to step outside the door and go to a con wearing it. I know that people will be curious and fascinated by it which is why I will get stares but I just can't do it, there is a fear of bumping into the wrong people on public transport who laugh at me. So I've gone to cons in everyday clothes.

I cosplayed for two events but I move away and didn’t get to go since😿 I would love to do it again. I love making costumes (nothing real fancy, I don’t have the patience to make it good lol) even just Halloween stuff haha 😹 

I've cosplayed a few times, all handmade.  I go to conventions in different states to meet up with friends and have a great time!  Here's a small album of my cosplays (Kagura from Gintama [my friend 3D printed the sake cups for it], Osaka from Azumanga Daioh and Balsa from Seirei no Moribito [and yes I know the spear got bent!! ;-;])

https://imgur.com/a/kR62Ahq

3 hours ago, Satsuriku_No_Tenshi said:

I tried it with my own-made costume but I've sadly not had the confidence to step outside the door and go to a con wearing it. I know that people will be curious and fascinated by it which is why I will get stares but I just can't do it, there is a fear of bumping into the wrong people on public transport who laugh at me. So I've gone to cons in everyday clothes.

See now that's the thing that stopped me from doing it years ago and I have found, like so many things, nobody really cares. It is rare you will get somebody on public transport who will speak to you in ordinary clothes let alone in a costume and less that somebody will be a knob about it too especially in a public space. Few people would actually do that. 

What about getting a friend to go with you so you aren't travelling alone?

Satsuriku_No_Tenshi

Hey there Hecate, it's not that someone will speak to me, I don't mind that, but if people laugh at me. That's what bothers me. I could have gone with like minded friends but they live in opposite directions so that wasn't a possibility. It's no issue though, I might consider it in future again!

@Ulquis I made the entire spear (aside from the "blade") out of cardboard paper towel roll tubes, so it was hella weak.  XD

Sort of- I'm planning Sailor Pluto, Triela (Gunslinger Girl), Yuna (Avatar:TLAB) Katara (Avatar:TLAB) Starfire from the original Teen Titans and young Storm from the X-Men (I'm a bit worried about this character because my skin's not dark enough, technically Halle Berry also dressed as this character, but...idk it was weird)

@ponz Ohhhhhh, I feel you! xD I made kunai out of pieces of a cardboard box and they were only held together by tape. As soon as I got to the con, the paint started peeling and the kunai fell apart, lmao

I think cosplaying is pretty cool, but I haven't done it much myself. I've cosplayed as Disney's Snow White(except my hair was a little longer than her's since I didn't wear a wig), Ghostface from Scream, and sort of dressed up as Jason from Friday the Thirteenth(just the mask, but different clothes, perhaps one of these days I might have the correct clothes and also the machete). I do totally look like Naomi Misora from Death Note whenever I wear my leather jacket with my knee high leather boots if that counts :P

Sometimes I'm tempted to cosplay as L from Death Note. It would be pretty easy for me since I already have a white long sleeve shirt and I could put black eye makeup under my eyes. 

I love to cosplay but I never had the chance or funds to do it as much as I wanted as a teen. Now that I'm a working adult, I definitely have plans to get back into cosplay and j-fashion

@Aoi Android yeah I hear you. I work full time and have other stuff in my life I do (gym, pay bills, other creative hobbies) which either eats up the free time I have or money as I'm saving to purchase my own home. I do one costume a year which might seem boring to some but I'm not made of money and a near 2 hour commute to work leaves me with only a bit of time.

@Hecate One costume a year sounds like plenty to me, given all the work that those costumes can take. It's not like picking something up from the store and throwing on a little makeup for Halloween. 

@Spotastic yeah I envy people who manage to put together a few a year but my femme Geralt took a fair bit of effort and even then I still see so much I could do better. Plus I like to do costumes I really want of characters I really like as else when it comes to photos and competitions I am that much more convincing with poses and the in-character stuff. Last competition I did as Geralt I was the only entrant who actually spoke in their performance which was surprising.

@Jade Cross tell me about it. I'm a slow worker too as some of the time is taken by creating patterns or adjusting ones. When it comes to stuff that isn't exactly easy to obtain a pattern for I spend a lot of time trying to figure it out and drawing, making prototypes will come into some of it if I ever make the power armour! 😆 But makes the work worth it. I'm a stickler for detail too and I can get so easily bogged down in that.

cosplay… in last year october, I was zombie. I tried to paint blood by using copic and makeup tools.

I have interests to video game and manga and anime! I want to be WBC1146 from cells at work!. but I don't have good muscle body.😫

I want to make clothing for cosplay.

Archived