Ace acceptance

silverarrowz

Today on Twitter I saw a lot of anti-ace/ace-spec threads and how aces aren't valid because they aren't oppressed in the same way. These threads also invalidated demisexuals and called it "micro-labelling", saying being demisexual was only a preference. This honestly really scared me cause I plan to come out online soon. How do you feel about asexuality being included in the LGBTQ+ community? Is it apart of it or are we separate and do gatekeepers have a point about oppression or are they just assholes?

In my personal opinion, the Oppression Olympics is its own form of oppression.
Asexuality and Demisexuality both come with challenges and loneliness and deserve a place to be welcome.

• Like 2

I think that asexuality should be included in the LGBT community. I don't think inclusion should be defined by oppression, because not all people of any identity have the same experiences. And I think people should be able to define their identity however they want, using as many or as few terms as they want.

• Like 4

Saying someone's identity isn't valid because they aren't "oppressed" makes no sense to me.

Heterosexuals aren't oppressed, does that mean they don't have a valid sexuality?

I also don't see how being told by society and some in the lgbt+ community that asexuality isn't real doesn't count as some sort of struggle related to a person's sexuality. Again I don't think that should be a qualifier for how valid a sexuality or orientation is, but as you can see even if it was that wouldn't matter. Because it does still happen, although on a smaller scale.

I feel like there's already enough hate and ridicule in society without dragging it into a place that is supposed to be open and about acceptance and progress.

Also as a demi myself I'd say it most definitely isn't just a preference. I don't get to choose if or when I feel sexual attraction.

• Like 4
Anthracite_Impreza

I don't give a fuck tbh. Live and let live I say. I avoid toxic places like that for a very good reason.

I find it funny based on the hypocrisy of the situation; the oppressed oppressing, marvelous. Remember, we don't judge you on who you are, but how oppressed you are.

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø
1 hour ago, SweetTart said:

Heterosexuals aren't oppressed, does that mean they don't have a valid sexuality?

Very good argument. Use this next time someone says aces aren't valid.

Its a ton of bs. Not accept someone/someone's sexuality because you think their journey hasn't been as difficult as yours is super hypocritical. Also, being ace can make it a lot more difficult to to find and have a lasting meaningful relationship just because we aren't so attached to sex. If someone on the lgbtq+ scale actually tells me to my face that my sexuality isn't valid, I can guarantee I'd just laugh in their face. 

All The Thoughts

Asexuals may not be as oppressed as the LGBT+ Community was many years ago (it’s obviously gotten better but it’s still not perfect even today) but they still have to face hardships for not being what’s considered “normal”

Then you also take into account the fact that those who were oppressed are now doing it to others who may not feel as though they have a proper community elsewhere...put in the awkward middle between straights saying they’re not straight enough and LGBT+ members saying they didn’t struggle enough to be welcome.

Now, not everyone is like this. In fact, I know there’s a large amount of people from both sides who are so welcoming and accepting when it comes to it, but the fact that there truly are people saying asexuals haven’t had it bad enough to be welcome is still a difficult thing the deal with.

• Like 1
Guest Deus Ex Infinity
12 hours ago, SilverArrowz said:

Today on Twitter I saw a lot of anti-ace/ace-spec threads and how aces aren't valid because they aren't oppressed in the same way. These threads also invalidated demisexuals and called it "micro-labelling", saying being demisexual was only a preference. This honestly really scared me cause I plan to come out online soon. How do you feel about asexuality being included in the LGBTQ+ community? Is it apart of it or are we separate and do gatekeepers have a point about oppression or are they just assholes?

I think that asexuality it should be included in the GLBTQ+ community as well even though it's quite different from other sexual identities. We suffer and fight against the same prejustice, ignorance and discrimination like anybody else. We share the same fears or doubts. Some people may think otherwise but that's not true. They may think it's easier because of  the "public invisibility" or small number of aces, demis etc. out there but I feel very oppressed, just for the fact that most people either don't seem to believe or accept my orientation when being asked about it.