Pink News: "I’m asexual and here are five things you need to know"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/09/03/im-asexual-and-here-are-five-things-you-need-to-know/

3 Sept 2018

Website also has a video. Text below: 

Spoiler

Eleanor is asexual – and also identifies as aromantic. Here she explains in her own words what is means to be asexual and how you can be a better ally.

What does it mean to be asexual?

I came out as asexual this year. It was very scary to come out to people. The anxiety will always tell you that no one will ever love you in that way, which is really really sad.

Asexuality is basically the lack of sexual attraction towards another person, perhaps in the binary gender or in any fluid gender.

Stop telling me I’ll change my mind

A lot of people would say: “Oh everyone feels like that before they’ve had sex,” almost comparing it to being a virgin or celibacy. People think along those lines. Those are choices but it’s a misconception to think asexuality must be a choice.

When you’re asexual, people immediately think that you don’t love anyone because what’s the point in a relationship unless you have sex with another person? That really gets me because there are lots of different attractions: sensual attractions, aesthetic attraction, romantic attraction. They all play a part when it comes to your relationships.

Sexual attraction is just a part of it but it’s not everything when it comes to your relationship.

There’s a big difference between asexual and aromantic

I came out in June this year so I am only very recently out. A friend asked me if I was open to an open relationship. I am heteroromantic, so she suggested the guy could be with me, we could do all the stuff we wanted to do but then he could go off with another woman and have sex with that person. Maybe some asexuals are into that but I’m monogamous.

It felt really invalidating. It made me feel like I was broken and needed to be fixed in some way because I can’t give the man what he wants. And it also put all men in this category of ‘they’re all sex-crazed beasts,’ which is not entirely true.

I worry that if I fall in love with another guy who isn’t necessarily asexual, will he be open to the idea that perhaps I don’t feel that sexual attraction? And perhaps, if he loves me, will he just accept that and support me through that?

People often don’t realise that there is a difference between asexuality and aromanticism. Asexuality refers to sexual identity and who you are sexually attracted to, which is very little our to none, whereas aromanticism is who you are romantically attracted to.

Watch the video above to see me explain five things you should never say to an asexual person.

I like that the author differentiated Aromanticism and Asexuality. I think a lot of people get romantic feelings, and sexuality confused. Which is totally understandable with such a sex charged culture/society. I wish she went more into detail about aro-aces and the like; asexuality is such a broad topic and is so difficult to explain. It help's me to remember that heterosexuals/etc aren't asked to explain IN DETAIL their sexual orientation. They aren't asked very personal questions about sex because hey! that's rude, right?! Apparently that doesn't apply to aces. 

Archived