Why do you celebrate your birthday?

Faile

I don't really celebrate. I just don't find it necessary to throw a giant party over a regular day? I don't even celebrate my friends' birthdays too much (mostly cuz they don't either and I always get all of their birthdays mixed up), just a simple "happy birthday" is enough in my opinion.

When I was a young adult, I saw no point in celebrating my birthday. It was just another day. As I've gotten older, I like to take the day off work. I don't necessarily do anything special, but I make it a self care day. I take it easy, do something I think is fun, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks I should do.

When I was younger I used to enjoy throwing birthday parties but nowadays I don't celebrate that much. My birthday this year was just that I went out to eat with two friends while my other friends threw way bigger parties for theirs. Even though I'm not too keen on celebrating my birthday, it makes me feel valued when people give me birthday wishes. It's pleasant knowing that people still remember I exist!

On 9/13/2018 at 8:06 PM, Little Bear said:

For the cake, of course.

And this too, for sure. :cake:

On 9/15/2018 at 12:31 AM, Hecate said:

@Spoiled Boy I'm getting a big stomach piece of a forest floor scene with some Art Nouvea flourishes in it. There's a lot of leaves, a stag skull, some invertebrates and other things you'd find. Since I don't want children it's not going to stretch that way. Yup a lot of the shops in the U.K. have a "look 25" policy so if they don't think you look that age to ask for ID. I certainly am not complaining! 😂

That sounds so cool! I love it when people take creative tattoos. 

Hah, some people take it as bad thing. Good that you're cool with it, otherwice it would become such pain in the ass for many years.

Sorry you can't relate but I'm not saying no to free cake, free gifts and ppl who willingly want to shower me with attention. 😏

On 9/15/2018 at 8:22 PM, MoonDancer said:

When I was a young adult, I saw no point in celebrating my birthday. It was just another day. As I've gotten older, I like to take the day off work. I don't necessarily do anything special, but I make it a self care day. I take it easy, do something I think is fun, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks I should do.

Pretty much exactly this. A day to just relax and make yourself a priority. I still don't make a big deal out of it, but I try a bit more because of my wife. When I was on my own in the military, I just liked to hear birthday wishes from immediate family and that was the extent of things. You don't tell others in the Marine Corps that it's your birthday because you will catch hell for it. Hazing is still a very real thing.

I don't really celebrate my birthday that much, but I always like to be around my family when I do. I live abroad now, so it's a good excuse to visit home again.

Basically, I make cake (our traditional no-bake cheesecake with outrageous colours - this year it was blue and yellow :lol: ), and in the evening go out with parents/brothers/grandparents for dinner or get Chinese takeaway :P.

In general I'm not too fond of going to other people's birthday parties - especially if you can expect that it will be late and people get drunk. Not my kind of scene. Though, last year one of my friends hosted a cake & hot chocolate party on the middle of the day, which was more my style :P

Honestly? It's just a day I get spoiled and where it's socially acceptable to wear a crown, I mean, I don't enjoy getting older, I guess I'm grateful I'm alive.....even though living sucks.

ArchangelAlbatross

I don't anymore.  I don't know how old I am.  The general decade, but I often forget.  Really. 

I never really celebrated it with a big party and all. As a kid I did it with my family, it was usually just spending the day out, eating at a restaurant, having some cake and a present.

Now it's just some cake and maybe a restaurant lol I guess I'm too old for presents but I really don't care. It's a regular day after all, I think on that day I should congratulate my mother for spending hours trying to pop me out... lol all congrats to her really lol

I think of it as commemorating another year that I’ve ‘survived’, and can continue to enjoy things. Being suicidal for a good chunk of my life (thankfully I haven’t been in years), and having some very close brushes with death with health stuff, has probably influenced how I view it. It’s also a day to celebrate me and who I am. My parent feels it’s also a celebration for her, considering she had a hand in making me come into existence. It’s nice to do something fun on that day, even if it’s just going to a restaurant or shopping in my fave stores. Haven’t done a super big thing for it in years, though.

Because

(for the cake, which I usually either make or buy myself; for presents, ditto; as an excuse to indulge and do some things I like to do)

• 4 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

because cake.

that's just it.

Mainly for the cake, because I really like eating cake but can't buy it too often. I don't feel any guilt when I get one on birthdays.

I used to ask presents until I was 13. Now I'm like I don't care if I don't get any as long as there's cake.

I think the other reason would be: it's a specific day just for me. It's a day that everyone treats you (extra) nice or atleast they feel obligated they have to do so.

Also, my high school friends and I don't go to the same college/university so it's a reason for us to definitely meetup.  

EggplantWitch

You lot are a cheery bunch aren't you? Though in all seriousness, I can see how someone who had bad family experiences with birthdays growing up might dislike them.

Me personally? I like being appreciated for a day! I'm uncomfortable with attention and large crowds and all that, but I still crave a bit of attention and love every now and then, so having one dedicated day of the year to it is perfect. And I'm also generally uncomfortable with displays of affection but still want people to know I care, so having a dedicated day of the year for each of my loved ones in which I can do just that is perfect too. I like doing special things for the people I care about. Making cakes, cooking meals, sending gifts. I just enjoy it (even if I do stress out a bit about whether they'll like whatever I got them). I also admit, as others have, there's a bit of a greedy materialistic aspect too. Right now I don't have any kind of income, so events like my birthday and Christmas are the only times when I can get anything pricier that I want either as a gift or with gifted money. As I turned 21 this year, the last significant birthday I'm going to have until I'm 100, I probably can't rely on that quite so much anymore. Hopefully this time next year I'll have a job and can buy pricy things for myself anyway :P 

another year without having died

srsly though do you need a reason?

Archived