Why do you celebrate your birthday?

Faile

I couldn't ask this from my friends without sounding aggressive or rude.

I started wondering about this since other people (friends and not friends) have a problem for me not celebrating it. Sometimes they get angry that i don't. I just don't understand why it seem like a necessity since there are lot of people who don't celebrate it.

I really don't see a point of celebrating it. Like it should be celebrated if your parents want to, since they brought you here. But you celebrating it because you feel it's speacial seems odd.

Oh god, this sound so fucking edgy.

I don't meant to, but no matter how many times i write this it just screams some 13 y/o woke kid. Fucking hell.

But i hope you guys get what i mean.

It really isn't a big day after you are born since literally nothing out of ordinary will happen on that day. Your birthday _was_ a special day since giving birth is a fucking hassle and a lot of work. But aging isn't anything miraculous or something out of ordinary, since you age every single day. 

Honestly, I’m greedy so I can’t say no to free stuff(presents obviously and I’m also signed up at a few places to get coupons for free things on my birthday).

I can see the pointlessness of it though. One time on my birthday my sister asked me the cliche “Do you feel any older?” and my answer was “Well technically I’m only one day older than I was yesterday”.

My family never does big celebrations, so even something as small as getting a cake counts as celebrating in my family. I personally like celebrating my birthday because that means it's been another year that I survived. In 2013 I had a really bad health scare and I very nearly died. Every birthday I've had since is a reminder that I survived everything I've faced and that, no matter how slowly, I'm still moving forward.

(And also cake)

I think people like feeling sentimental and once a year is almost an excuse for faraway acquaintances to vaguely keep in touch. 

I'll be honest I forget mine until the day when I'm reminded

I've actually started celebrating my birthday less but probably for different reasons than most. I haven't done or asked for anything in the last two years, save for seeing my best friend and maybe spending the day with my mom and i have no choice but to accept that's how it's gonna be for most likely the rest of my life. I'm cursed with being born on February 14 so while the majority of my friends are with their significant others or, they're working during the day and then doing something special with their partners, all i really get is the obligatory birthday text. And it hurts and i don't want it to be, but i basically have to accept that on my birthday i'm not a choice for most people, hardly anyone, because their partners are more important. There's literally no point in me celebrating it.

I still get stuff, don't get me wrong, just not typically ON my birthday. But hell if i'm gonna say no to gifts and/or chocolate. That's basically all it is.  But trust me, if i went on and on about this then it would start sounding rude. So sounding like an edgy 13 year old s WAY better than sounding like a moping 5 year old on the verge of breaking down, you are good in your question!

Personally, I don't. When people ask me what sort of presents to get me I say, "The best present you can get me for my birthday is nothing." But I can see why people do if I put a different lense over it outside my perspective.

Some people of course just like their birthdays because they get free shit. Who doesn't want free shit? Especially free shit that you might like?

For others, their birth holds significance in that it won't ever happen again. For a happy and well functioning family, a birth is a moment that changes everybody. It's a moment that only happens once and can't ever be replicated. It's a celebration of a turning point that changed everything.

And for others, it's a celebration of survival. You've survived another rotation of the planet round the sun. Even though we live in better times than in the past we still live on a hostile world that has no mercy.

And for some, it's a counter to so called maturity. Or in other cases, it's the countdown to the time they think they have left.

Even though I "celebrate" my birthday, I do it my way. I haven't had a party for two years now (seeing as I'm 15 it's kind of a big deal) because I found out I hated the whole thing. I don't like inviting a whole bunch of people over, even if they are my classmates. I think i should have a say in how and whether I celebrate my birthday. I have ended up just using my birthday as an excuse to hang out with my four friends like any other day. I don't ask for any presents from them either. I know they love me and appreciate me, and they really don't have to give me anything more. As long as we're all having fun, it's better than any present anyone could give me, and it doesn't have to be my birthday for that to happen.

25 minutes ago, E said:

Personally, I don't. When people ask me what sort of presents to get me I say, "The best present you can get me for my birthday is nothing." But I can see why people do if I put a different lense over it outside my perspective.

Some people of course just like their birthdays because they get free shit. Who doesn't want free shit? Especially free shit that you might like?

For others, their birth holds significance in that it won't ever happen again. For a happy and well functioning family, a birth is a moment that changes everybody. It's a moment that only happens once and can't ever be replicated. It's a celebration of a turning point that changed everything.

And for others, it's a celebration of survival. You've survived another rotation of the planet round the sun. Even though we live in better times than in the past we still live on a hostile world that has no mercy.

And for some, it's a counter to so called maturity. Or in other cases, it's the countdown to the time they think they have left.

The gift thing makes the party seem fake if the whole point of celebrating someones birthday is not because it's special to that person, but because they can get free gifts from us. I like to make my bros happy and spend time with them so i love to attend to their birthday parties. But if it's purely special day just for the gifts, i just feel used. I understand the why someone would like it tho.

So you can understand where i'm coming from; I don't care if i just get stuff, it dosen't have a value if i don't work for it. So i may be little one sided on this one. 

I was aware of the second one and stated it in the post.

The last two ones seem genuine and cool. Thanks for answering mate, i appreciate it.

37 minutes ago, KaceyCat said:

My family never does big celebrations, so even something as small as getting a cake counts as celebrating in my family. I personally like celebrating my birthday because that means it's been another year that I survived. In 2013 I had a really bad health scare and I very nearly died. Every birthday I've had since is a reminder that I survived everything I've faced and that, no matter how slowly, I'm still moving forward.

(And also cake)

Man, i totally understand why you like to celebrate it. Congratulations for making it trough. Thanks for sharing your point of view on this.

13 minutes ago, Ashes of the phoenix said:

I don't celebrate my birthday either. 

I'm very aware i'm not the only one. This is not answering to anything i asked. I feel like you didn't even read my post.

I don't really, or I don't care to, but a few people in my family like to acknowledge it, so I let them because why bother being a dick about something that isn't really a big deal. It means they love me, and I'm grateful for that. I'm not talking about parties or anything anyway, more just small gifts or an afternoon visit or phone call.

1 minute ago, Spoiled Boy said:

The gift thing makes the party seem fake if the whole point of celebrating someones birthday is not because it's special to that person, but because they can get free gifts from us. I like to make my bros happy and spend time with them so i love to attend to their birthday parties. But if it's purely special day just for the gifts, i just feel used. I understand the why someone would like it tho.

So you can understand where i'm coming from; I don't care if i just get stuff, it dosen't have a value if i don't work for it. So i may be little one sided on this one. 

I was aware of the second one and stated it in the post.

The last two ones seem genuine and cool. Thanks for answering mate, i appreciate it.

Man, i totally understand why you like to celebrate it. Congratulations for making it trough. Thanks for sharing your point of view on this.

I'm very aware i'm not the only one. This is not answering to anything i asked. I feel like you didn't even read my post.

I can understand where you're coming from if I listen well enough, yes.

As for me, I don't ask for things but people give them anyway. I can't get away from it. And in some sense, I felt the same way in the past when somebody gave me something. I didn't earn that. I was merely granted it. Time's have changed.

Now when somebody gives me something, even though I don't ask for it, I tend to appreciate the gesture more than the gift. For some people, the gesture in itself has more meaning than the gift being given.

I probably wouldn't celebrate my birthday anymore with my extended family but because my birthday always falls on or around the same time we go to the beach I usually get cards with money which is nice.

Otherwise I'd rather just go see a movie or Have some cake at home with my parents and hopefully my brother.

But since I don't get money currently or anything I love free shit! But if I didn't get anything I'd be fine with that.

I think it bothers me less as I get older. I'm 35 this year and tbh the half way marker in that decade doesn't have me bothered as I still get asked for ID when I'm buying alcohol! 😂 This year I guess getting more work on my tattoo is how I'm celebrating as it's a couple of days after my birthday.

That said for me it's nice to remind people I care about them, get them a gift or some money, or make a present. For my Mum I think it's sentimental to remember me as I grew up. For me I use my birthday as a personal new year to take stock and see what I want to do in my year ahead. That it happens in autumn is most appropriate too for that notion.

Juliatransdress

I don't really celebrate it too much. Howerever my mom put up like 'fika' with family. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I'd like to, but for the last few years my dad has pretty much not even acknowledged it (like so many things). My mam still does though, I get cake and everything. It's nice to just get a bit of "it's your day" attention sometimes, especially when you feel like a spare part normally.

Sorry for the miserableness.

i like guaranteed cake and a freebie present. Also helps me keep track of how old i am, its very hard for me to remember sometimes,

My parents make a big deal of it, so I celebrate every year. I think for me it's just a celebration of that, hey I exist and I lived another year. But I hate giving gifts and receiving them. I live practically/minimally, there's so many better things you could do with your money than buying me random stuff. And I hate the pressure of giving other people stuff, because you have to think about money.

For the most part, I don't get particularly excited on the yearly arrival of my birthday. There are loved ones in my family, however, who find it worth celebrating, and it is an expression of their love that they do so, something which I value beyond measure and will acknowledge by sharing in it even if my usual inclination would be to stay in my cave.

I am thankful, too, for every new year that I stay alive on Earth. In an earlier era when medicine and surgery were not so advanced as they are in modern times, I would very likely, even almost certainly, not have survived birth. Since then, I've had to be cut open, modified, stitched together, connected to machines and to tubes, medicated, rehabilitated, disinfected, and made to learn more about who I am and who I am not than I thought I wanted to in order to keep living, and I could not have managed it without the constant, unconditional love and support of the same people who care more than I do when the day I was born on comes around again. If they find that worthy of recognition by coming together for dinner and exchanging of gifts, then I will gather with them and appreciate it with all of my heart.

Sarah-n-dippity

Because it’s also my twins birthday and even if I chose not to celebrate mine I’d celebrate hers 😊 also cake and spending time with family - and keeping in touch at least once a year with absent family who don’t live nearby 

5 hours ago, Princess Merida said:

For the cake, of course.

Highlighted, for very important emphasis. I'm highly independent, so gifts make me uncomfortable (I'm more of a giver, anyways), so family and friends making it worthwhile for me. I literally had three cakes for my last birthday O_O

3 hours ago, Spoiled Boy said:

like, okay. maybe this thread is not just about you, maybe I wanted to share that you were not alone because I felt alone in this. maybe my post was about me, is that so bad? like, okay. get grumpy at me for sharing my perspective on the topic. 

It's a good excuse to have some fun and some good food (and cake) with family. It's nice to know that I've survived another year, which I realise sounds a bit odd coming from somebody with no real health problems who isn't very old, but it's still how I feel. And then, also, it's my younger brother's half birthday, and we've always just kind of celebrated both of our birthdays together, so if I were to stop celebrating mine that'd be a bit odd.

It doesn't make all that much sense when one thinks about it, but it doesn't need to if one wants to celebrate, I think.

Now, birthday parties... I don't do those, and I haven't since I was a child and everybody assumed I would want to. They stress me out. They're not fun. I don't like having other people around. Same goes for anything like balloons, or any other big celebration kind of thing. I just want to have a nice time with my immediate family and some of my favourite food, that's it.

The historical reasons for people celebrating their birthdays remain largely unclear, but since people have generally taken any excuse to have a celebration, a day off, and a good time, that's probably part of it. That, and it used to be that making it to a certain age (whatever the age) was less common than it is now.

Because it keeps evil spirits away. Obviously, duh! :P

(But no, like most people in this thread I also don't celebrate mine. Just had my 30th and did nothing special whatsoever on the day xD)

8 hours ago, Ashes of the phoenix said:

I don't celebrate my birthday either. 

+1.  I have celebrated it in the past, but it was more for the people in my life who loved me.  They're all dead now.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:16 PM, Hecate said:

I think it bothers me less as I get older. I'm 35 this year and tbh the half way marker in that decade doesn't have me bothered as I still get asked for ID when I'm buying alcohol! 😂 This year I guess getting more work on my tattoo is how I'm celebrating as it's a couple of days after my birthday.

That said for me it's nice to remind people I care about them, get them a gift or some money, or make a present. For my Mum I think it's sentimental to remember me as I grew up. For me I use my birthday as a personal new year to take stock and see what I want to do in my year ahead. That it happens in autumn is most appropriate too for that notion.

That ID thing tho 😂😂 What kind of tattoo are you getting?

On 9/13/2018 at 10:51 PM, Roidgy said:

i like guaranteed cake and a freebie present. Also helps me keep track of how old i am, its very hard for me to remember sometimes,

It's same for me too. It's like after new years eve, you keep writing the wrong year on papers for the next six months or so. Cake is delicious, i can't deny that.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:19 PM, Blomdor said:

For the most part, I don't get particularly excited on the yearly arrival of my birthday. There are loved ones in my family, however, who find it worth celebrating, and it is an expression of their love that they do so, something which I value beyond measure and will acknowledge by sharing in it even if my usual inclination would be to stay in my cave.

I am thankful, too, for every new year that I stay alive on Earth. In an earlier era when medicine and surgery were not so advanced as they are in modern times, I would very likely, even almost certainly, not have survived birth. Since then, I've had to be cut open, modified, stitched together, connected to machines and to tubes, medicated, rehabilitated, disinfected, and made to learn more about who I am and who I am not than I thought I wanted to in order to keep living, and I could not have managed it without the constant, unconditional love and support of the same people who care more than I do when the day I was born on comes around again. If they find that worthy of recognition by coming together for dinner and exchanging of gifts, then I will gather with them and appreciate it with all of my heart.

Holy shit, congratulation for making it trough man. I hope you're doing okay now. I'm kind of speechless so i don't know what to say.

21 hours ago, Remmirath said:

It's a good excuse to have some fun and some good food (and cake) with family. It's nice to know that I've survived another year, which I realise sounds a bit odd coming from somebody with no real health problems who isn't very old, but it's still how I feel. And then, also, it's my younger brother's half birthday, and we've always just kind of celebrated both of our birthdays together, so if I were to stop celebrating mine that'd be a bit odd.

It doesn't make all that much sense when one thinks about it, but it doesn't need to if one wants to celebrate, I think.

Now, birthday parties... I don't do those, and I haven't since I was a child and everybody assumed I would want to. They stress me out. They're not fun. I don't like having other people around. Same goes for anything like balloons, or any other big celebration kind of thing. I just want to have a nice time with my immediate family and some of my favourite food, that's it.

The historical reasons for people celebrating their birthdays remain largely unclear, but since people have generally taken any excuse to have a celebration, a day off, and a good time, that's probably part of it. That, and it used to be that making it to a certain age (whatever the age) was less common than it is now.

It's so funny to do research on anything that people have made a habbit of. But yeah we have always found/find an excuse to party or drink. Nothing wrong with that tho. 

Thanks for you all for sharing your perspective on this, keep it going.

@Spoiled Boy I'm getting a big stomach piece of a forest floor scene with some Art Nouvea flourishes in it. There's a lot of leaves, a stag skull, some invertebrates and other things you'd find. Since I don't want children it's not going to stretch that way. Yup a lot of the shops in the U.K. have a "look 25" policy so if they don't think you look that age to ask for ID. I certainly am not complaining! 😂

I do not celebrate mine really. I go back and forth with I want some attention and I don't at the same time. This past year no one at work commented. it was a huge relief and a twilight zone at the same time. I know it's not because they know I don't care for it. There are just people who want any reason to party and will throw one for someone else even if they don't want it. I have several of these at work. I know there are also people who will say they don't want one and get super offended and not talk to you if you don't throw one. 

Archived