Japanese language resources?

sushilover

Hello! I'm an allosexual American married to a sex-repulsed panromantic Japanese man. The tl;dr is that I am looking for any good resources in Japanese that I could pass on to him, and would appreciate any that you can recommend!

The reason I ask is because finding Japanese-language material on asexuality tends to be strictly aromantic as well. We have been married for seven years but only realized in June that he's actually asexual, and that was only after I showed him some articles about it in English. When we tried to look for Japanese material, as I said it tends to be aromantic and also (distressingly) centered around matching aces to enter sham marriages in order to get around the country's koseki system (long story). Any and all relationship advice for aces has been "don't bother because you'll just let your partner down," which is pretty much THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what my partner wants to hear right now. I've been trying to show him English resources (like this site!) but because of the language barrier, it's quite cumbersome for him to look up stuff. We'd both really like it if he could find stuff on his own without it getting filtered/translated through me first.

I know this forum is mostly English and it's kind of a long shot, but as I said we would both really appreciate it if you could pass along some empowering, good, amazing resources that are in Japanese! Thanks so much!

I have a greysexual friend who is (a Canadian national) living in Japan.  I will ask her, although I’m not overly optimistic as she has voiced many of the same concerns you mention.

Yeah, it's been surprisingly hard to find stuff. I have an ace friend here but she too is an American and so all her connections and resources are in English. My partner does know a little English but not enough to, for example, join an all-English support group or want to read (often jargon-laden and quite difficult) articles if I'm not there to help him. And I don't mind being there to help him of course, but it's kinda... I dunno, maybe weird that I'm the one basically teaching him about his own sexuality? I think we'd both like it if he could read up about it on his own without any nasty shocks, which is what it's been like for him so far.

Her first take was “that sounds pretty much like what I’d expect to see here” but she’s asking her friends in the Tokyo LGBT+ community as their group is much more open-minded.

Archived