Sexuals, when did you first experience sexual attraction?

no-longer-in-use

Sexuals, when did you first experience sexual attraction?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. When did you first experience sexual attraction?

• < 5
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-12
    • 13-14
    • 15-16
    • 17-18
    • 19-20
    • 21-22
    • 23-24
    • 25-26
    • 27-28
    • 29-30
    • > 30
    • It's complicated (explain below if you feel like it)

This poll is closed to new votes

no-longer-in-use

I'm curious what the average age is for sexual people to first experience sexual attraction. If you feel like sharing your experience as a sexual person, I'd greatly appreciate you answering the poll.

(I have edited this poll so that anyone who identifies as sexual can answer it. It used to be open only to allo/zedsexual people.)

no-longer-in-use
16 hours ago, iff said:

What are zedsexuals?

The same thing as allosexual. It means a person who is not on the ace spectrum; a person who experiences what most people would consider a typical amount of sexual attraction.

no-longer-in-use
15 hours ago, CBC said:

Lol, well I'm not "zedsexual" (assuming it means the same as "allosexual", which is also wholly unnecessary but perhaps marginally less ridiculous-sounding) and I refuse to identify as such. Would you guys please stop coming up with stupid words for us? How about "normal sexual" if you really need a term? <_< 

"Normal sexual" makes some people on the asexual spectrum feel like they're being othered, which I get. I don't understand how a useful term such as zedsexual or allosexual is "wholly unnecessary".

15 hours ago, CBC said:

Whilst it's technically possible to distinguish between different types of non-platonic interest in someone, I don't. They go hand in hand for me.

That's interesting, I guess I always assumed most people were able to differentiate different types of attraction, because I'm usually able to differentiate types of attraction. I'll add another answer for "it's complicated". Thanks for sharing.

no-longer-in-use
5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Which is exactly why I suggested it. Facetiously. Asexuals don't like to be called not normal, and that's entirely understandable and I would never do that. Just as most sexual people don't like to be given weird and unnecessary labels by asexuals.

I don't really understand your logic. First of all, how is allosexual/zedsexual unnecessary? It's more helpful than "sexual", because that could arguably include demisexuals, graysexuals, and the like. Also, because you seem to think allosexual is more acceptable than zedsexual, I use zedsexual instead of allosexual because it literally means "other-sexual", which is kind of othering allosexuals, no?

11 minutes ago, CBC said:

And I mean yeah, I can definitely differentiate. I just don't need to, because it's pretty likely that if I develop significant romantic feelings for someone, it would tie in with sexual desire for them.

That's very interesting. Has it always been that way, or since you reached a certain age/level of maturity?

no-longer-in-use
58 minutes ago, CBC said:

I don't particularly like either term, and I consider demisexual and grey-asexuals to be sexual, so I don't really know that there's a need for anything besides 'asexual' and 'sexual'. If necessary in the context of discussion in an asexual-majority community, I've always just said 'non-asexual'.

Well if you don't want to use the word, I can't stop you. But I still think it can be useful.

And thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Sometimes I use the term "non-ace" (informally) or "sexual" to differentiate from ace/asexual people. I never encountered "zedsexual" before and "allosexual" sounds a bit clinical.

everywhere and nowhere

To be honest, I definitely prefer the word "allosexual". Just "sexual" sounds kinda brutal to me - I can't help it, I just feel so. Whenever I read it, I can't help feeling as if "being sexual" was something else than just "experiencing sexual attraction" - it feels like being defined by one's sexual desire and activity, in my involuntary reading "sexual" thus, in a way, gets close to "hypersexual". I would also say that it's not clear enough - "sexual" has a clear meaning, but it still has many shades and contexts of meaning and taking it to mean "not asexual" just doesn't feel automatic enough for me.

Btw, how is "zedsexual" built? Does that "zed" mean anything by itself? Please keep a tiny bit of order when creating new terms - for example borrowing all morphemes used in a new term from a single language should be preferred, and when not possible - Greek and Latin go much better together, by virtue of tradition, than for example Latin and English...

Alejandrogynous
10 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Btw, how is "zedsexual" built? Does that "zed" mean anything by itself?

Maybe it's supposed to be 'zed' as in the letter Z, like the farthest you can get from the letter A as possible.

Either way, I think it's dumb and that 'sexual' doesn't need a special word when it already is a word that works perfectly fine.

everywhere and nowhere
11 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

Maybe it's supposed to be 'zed' as in the letter Z, like the farthest you can get from the letter A as possible.

Is it spelled "zed" or "zet" in English?

Anyway, if it's supposed to mean the letter, this is exactly unscientific word formation. I don't fetishise science, I would even say that I distrust it whenever it claims to have full explanations for anything related to our inner lives. But if something is meant to be a quasi-scientific term, it should be built like a scientific term. Not every morpheme goes well with any other morpheme.

Alejandrogynous
3 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Is it spelled "zed" or "zet" in English?

I believe it's 'zed' in British English, at least. And damn, I was mostly joking when I first typed that but I just looked it up and I think that really is how they came up with it. Yeah, I don't like 'allo' either but at least it's based on something more than the ABC's, lol.

no-longer-in-use
On 9/12/2018 at 6:40 PM, daveb said:

Sometimes I use the term "non-ace" (informally) or "sexual" to differentiate from ace/asexual people. I never encountered "zedsexual" before and "allosexual" sounds a bit clinical.

That's fair. I find the terms useful myself, but I understand if other people don't care for them.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:40 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

Btw, how is "zedsexual" built? Does that "zed" mean anything by itself?

@Alejandrogynous got it exactly right:

On 9/12/2018 at 6:59 PM, Alejandrogynous said:

13 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

if it's supposed to mean the letter, this is exactly unscientific word formation.

Yeah, true. I don't think it's meant to be a scientific word, that would probably be allosexual or just "sexual". I use the word only because it's the best option available, in my opinion.

First, I would like to echo literally everything @CBC said. I answered the poll (I was 23-24) but I don’t identify as “zedsexual,” I identify as sexual. I suppose “demisexual” applies to me but like CBC said, I consider that sexual so I don’t find the term necessary.

Not sure how anyone who hasn’t “yet” experienced sexual attraction would answer a poll for sexuals, as they would likely currently identify as asexual. (That may not be the case for most people off of AVEN but since they’re already on AVEN...) 

It didn’t even occur to me that “zedsexual” was referring to the letter Z. (Which I say as Zee...) My first thought was “Who is Zed??” I assumed it was an overly specific label for people attracted to whatever/whoever Zed was.

no-longer-in-use
16 hours ago, okir fokir said:

I don’t identify as “zedsexual,” I identify as sexual.

That's fine, identify as whatever you want. I won't care about your language use if you don't care about mine.

16 hours ago, okir fokir said:

Not sure how anyone who hasn’t “yet” experienced sexual attraction would answer a poll for sexuals, as they would likely currently identify as asexual.

That's true, but I've never experienced sexual attraction and I don't identify as asexual for various reasons. But yeah, I'm going to remove it from the poll anyway because now that you point it out, if you've not yet experienced sexual attraction you probably shouldn't be answering this poll.

Thanks for answering the poll! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Never..... I dont understand why this question is on here. True asexuals have never felt sexual attraction. I'm confused now. Thanks.

8 hours ago, CBC said:

The question is for sexual members of AVEN. As it says in the title.

Yea but the website you are on is literally called asexuality.org......

5 minutes ago, Larissa R said:

Yea but the website you are on is literally called asexuality.org......

We do have a number of members here that sexuals, some may be partners or friends of asexuals looking for support, others are allies, some may have previously identified as asexual but no longer identify as such but like the forums, people could be 2 or 3 categories of these. For example, we do also have a subforum for Sexual Partners, Friends & Allies

While the main focus is asexuality.org, we welcome all members :)

4 minutes ago, iff said:

We do have a number of members here that sexuals, some may be partners or friends of asexuals looking for support, others are allies, some may have previously identified as asexual but no longer identify as such but like the forums, people could be 2 or 3 categories of these. For example, we do also have a subforum for Sexual Partners, Friends & Allies

While the main focus is asexuality.org, we welcome all members :)

Ahhh ok. Im sorry. I'm new here lol. Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused.

• 1 year later...

@Coddiwomple

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived