Do you appear in a body of a different gender in your dreams?

mreid

In my dreams I'm all kinds of genders, it always changes. One day I might be a girl, the other day I might be a boy, sometimes I'm both or neither and sometimes it changes several times over the course of one dream!

Usually I think I'm male in my dreams but then I'll see that I'm in a female body. (This is true outside of dreaming.) Or I'll see a male that appears to be me but I'm really just a female looking at a male. Other times I'll be agender. 

no-longer-in-use

It's interesting to see everyone else's responses. I've never been anyone other than myself (cis girl) in dreams.

(Interesting but slightly unrelated fact: I still had long hair in dreams for about a month after I cut most of my hair off. My guess is this was because my subconscious still hadn't adjusted to my short hair. Kind of cool how the brain works!)

Sometimes I'm a dude, sometimes I'm a girl, most of the times I'm nothing.

(though fortunately even in girl mode my body is never as uncomfortable in my dreams as it is in real life. I get to be flat in my dreams. It helps with being agile and flying around a lot)

My subconscious used to be very heteronormative. If I had a boyfriend in my dream story, I was a girl. And if I had a girlfriend, I was a boy. This recently changed and any combination is now possible. But they're purely there for story purposes anyways so I don't know if that says anything about my orientation/gender.

I sometimes have dreams where I'm male, or genderless.  More often, though, I have dreams where I seem to be a bodiless observer, just watching something happen.

Celyn: The Lutening

Probably about 70% "just me" Usually dreaming about my real life and/or real people I know. Physically pretty identical to me now only with a more androgynous body shape. 

25% male, and kinda me - like part of me feels like that's my life but I have a tiny kernel of awareness that I'm dreaming. These dreams are usually not drawn from real life, but feel real.

5% female and not me. Like the bizarre dream I had last night where I was a princess being married to the ocean god to prevent a flood.

I remember once I dreamt I was in high school, but I'd come out as a trans boy and was transitioning. I wasn't me though, because I had long black hair.

PixleyDust✨

In my adolescent years, I had dreams from time to time where I had a male body, but not so much anymore. And the only girl dream I can recall was one where I was 9 months pregnant. Remember feeling icky and mortified in that dream.

Woke up feeling icky too, and embarrassed and horrified. Was mostly icked out for ace reasons, but it was a while back so it could have been background gender yucks too.

But mostly, I have no gender awareness in dreams, I kind of seem to “just be”. I usually was, and still am, formless until it becomes a plot point.

Like I could be moving about in a dream, so to speak, but only notice I have legs when I try to run (and can’t).

GOD do I hate dream running, it’s worse than real running. 😆

Ms. Carolynne

@Pixley I hate dream running, half the time I can't even run for no reason whatsoever!

Taylor Lilith

I had a dream where I was on my period. I woke up and cried for a solid 10 minutes as it's one of those things I will never be able to do regardless of how far I transition. Even if it were possible, TERfs are removing themselves from organ donor registries to make sure this isn't possible. They are willing to kill 5 people for the slightest possibility a trans woman could have a uterus. 

One of the best dreams I ever had tho. 🤷‍♀️ At least I can be my true self in dreams, right? ^_^-_- TT^TT

Celyn: The Lutening
3 hours ago, Taylor Lilith said:

TERfs are removing themselves from organ donor registries to make sure this isn't possible.

What a damn poopnugget thing to do, how is a transwoman wanting a uterus affecting them in any way? Particularly if they're dead by the time she gets it?

*Rips out uterus* Here, it's all yours! (Dang, wouldn't a trans body part exchange be nice?)

@mreid I do dream of floods/water a fair bit, actually. I've had a phobia of drowning ever since I can remember, which strangely doesn't stop me swimming.

Taylor Lilith

@Celyn I got body parts I don't want if you want them in trade?  Yeah tho it's one of my favorite things about the trans community-- the trans organ exchange.

Anthracite_Impreza

Not the trans organ exchange again ;) *offers body parts* Half price, slightly used.

Taylor Lilith
1 minute ago, mreid said:

You are not missing out on anything, trust me.

This is the "wrong" response.  It's something I can never have.  Why do you need to tell me I can't want something I can never have?  It's like telling a starving person "you won't like [insert food item here]"  because you specifically don't like it.  Why do so?  People really think they are helping when what they do is escalate dysphoria.  

Taylor Lilith
Just now, mreid said:

@Taylor Lilith Okay sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I'm not saying you "can't" want it, I'm just saying it's not as wonderful as you might think it is.

You didn't offend me. Nor am I saying it would be wonderful.  I'd probably hate it.  It's still something I want and can't have and it's something that trans people really hate.  Don't tell people not to want things that they can't have.  Simple as that.  If I come off as stand offish it's because it's one of those microaggressions that cis peeps do all the time.  It's not you, it just gets old.

anisotrophic

I don't really have noteworthy dreams. I'm not aware of my body in almost all of them. Heck, I feel more female right now, awake, because the baby keeps kicking me. (I'm not dysphoric, but I am interested in HRT? getting one last kid done first.)

I did have one fairly "physical" dream recently, an unfortunate fantasy of my ace partner being rather, err, sexual... But the dream sex didn't involve my female anatomy so ...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anisotrophic

@mreid He's like a prostitute, but I "pay" by doing stuff like... the dishes.

Most of the time, I don't even dream about having a body. I'm more just a sentient energy interacting with the space. When I do dream and have a "physical" bodily representation, I don't think of myself as being male or female usually. Sometimes I see a naked self, but even then I don't even see genitalia.

Yeah, I do. Yesterday I took a nap and had an interesting dream. I was male and running from some bad guy with some cool guy in a long black coat. We went into a bar, noticed the bad guy and immediately escaped. The cool guy threw a cigarrete on the door and that locked it. The bad guy started to hit the door and then my gender shift happened. The male I was escaped and hid with the cool guy and I became a girl watching the cigarrete as it burned and when it stopped burning and fell off, the bad guy could get out and started searching for them, without noticing me. I joined the cool guy and male me and told them that he is searching for them. After that some people from school and a teacher came and I changed again. The male me vanished and my gender became androgynous, but still a girl. Then the dream changed almost entirely and I was a girl again. Quite interesting. 

Yes, I am one of those people who doesn't think sex and gender are necessarily the same thing, so: Sex? Yes. Gender? No.

i don't know if this counts this dream was 3 years ago, I had a dream were i was urinating  standing up i looked down at my genital area became angry and pulled everything off  and instead of (yelling holly hell what have i done watching blood shoot every where) , i was holding everything in my hand and there were wires coming out of me from the groin area, red and blue 10 of them to my hands know holding  genital . i wasn't  shocked  but wondered which do i cut first the red or the blue then i woke up.  till this day i remember  that dream.   i told my kids  that dream and they cringe 

I don't think of myself as male or female, and that translates into my dreams for the most part. I'm not even aware of any sexual characteristics unless they become relevant to the scene in the dream (very, very rare), but even when it is relevant, whether my body is male or female varies. Other than in some shitty nightmares about social ostracism, my gender pretty much never comes up. I never really see a reflection or anything else what would give me an idea of how I "look" in the dream, either.

Emera_Vandus

I usually end up female in my dreams (I’m genderfluid AMAB and I present masculine in public, since I have to stick to a school uniform and cant let my hair grow out (it gets too messy), and dyes are off the table bc of the uniform.) I actually tried to draw what I look like in my dreams, and posted it to my DA as my human Persona, so I have something to base the evolution of my subconscious self off of as a baseline.

Archived