Do you appear in a body of a different gender in your dreams?

mreid

I think I identify as something between male and female. My orientation is hetero ace.

Sometimes in my dreams I (female) have a male body, others the body of a different female, mostly my own body.

In my dreams people and fictional characters who I know or suspect to be bisexual appear in my dreams for some reason (I find that strange because I am not bisexual). In my dreams there's also a lot of two animals mixed together, two places mixed together, two objects, etc...

One time I had a dream where I talked to this hermaphrodite creature that had the head of a girl, the body of a boy and changing, undifferentiated parts. It helped me interpret dreams I had had before that one that same night.

Anyone finds this relatable? Or is there anything peculiar like this in your dreams?

Dreams are usually really odd, but it's really interesting that you remember so much detail!

I can't say I've had anything so specific... My dreams tend to center around flying/falling and being surrounded by people I feel trusting towards.

I'm often AMAB in my dreams.

5 minutes ago, mreid said:

@hanakoto Out of curiosity, do you know you are dreaming in your dreams? Or do you only find out after waking up?

Some dreams I know I'm dreaming, but that's kind of rare... A memorable one was when I was on top of a skyscaper and thought "This is a dream..." and promptly jumped off. It was amazing!

Other dreams I know I'm dreaming but they're nightmares and I can't wake up 😢

Not that I remember...

Yes.I'm assigned female and I dreamed I had no chest  and that everybody saw me as I was - as the  non-binary person I am....I felt very comfortable.Felt really sad when I woke up.Another time I dreamed I had a male's body and I kept feeling weird that everyone was calling me he.

EmotionalAndroid

Yes, sometimes. I am female-bodied and I have had dreams where I was male-bodied. I always like those dreams. In fact, in the most influential and fantastic dream I've ever had in my life, I was male. Most of the time I am the same male body across these dreams, which is interesting. Other times, I feel like I AM that male-bodied person, even though in the dream I am my usual female-bodied self.

I don't really remember any dreams anymore :0 but in the ones I remember from five years  (or more) ago I never really saw myself. It was as if I was just watching everything while being affected by what was going on at the same time. I'm not sure how to describe it but I just appeared as myself. Maybe the reason for that is that I don't really define my gender (and I never have). 

I can be a different AGAB AND a different gender than when I went to sleep.  Usually I'm AFAB in my sleep and-always-AMAB when I wake up.  When I figured out I was genderfluid I got used to checking my gender by misgendering myself and so I did it in my sleep once.  Went to sleep female, in my dream I was agender and the shock of misgendering myself woke me up and withing 15 seconds I was a girl again.  Twas an interesting experience.

Usually I'm AFAB while I'm asleep tho even when I'm enby.

im sometimes amab in my dreams, but always a man. What i find strangest is that in my dreams im almost always black. In real life im not. What the fuck

1 hour ago, mreid said:

@hopeisnotlost Interesting. Recently I had a dream where I was in a male body. I went by the name "Norssen" and refered to as a he. Later on I was refered to as "Norton" by a guy working on a computer (antivirus reference?).

Do you have that kind of dreams often?

I mostly have the dream where I'm seen as non-binary I don't normally have the one where I'm seen as male.

In my dreams I tend to just have the same body I do in real life. Although I did have a dream once in which I was Dec from Ant and Dec. Not sure if that means anything....

Funny, I don't really pay attention to my body in my dreams. Except when I'm pregnant, because then it's obviously a female body. But otherwise I have no idea. :D

I dreamt dreams in my gender, almost always, and it was not matching body assignment.

And, not really sure pregnancy makes one anything, ppl of all genders can get pregnant.

I don’t really seem to have a body in my dreams. I’m just kind of a floating existence. Like I would pick up coffee and think “I’m holding it in my hands” but it’s just floating in front of me. Figure that one out.

A lot of times I'll have dreams about transitioning or having a "male" body and I wake up really sad but also happy because the dream was nice. Otherwise I don't think my gender plays much of a role in my dreams. I'm just me in my dreams.

The-world-is-quiet-here

There have been a couple dreams I’ve had where I’m a trans guy. 

It’s hard to tell what gender I look like and what I sound like in my dreams. I think I mostly look like I did in high school, with a chin-length bob haircut, and my body is AFAB. My voice in my dreams is my voice in real life, but I don’t speak that often in my dreams.

I second what @Lichley said about not really having a body in dreams. :ph34r:

I have a moderate amount of dreams about my sexuality, though. Me liking different people, only sometimes people I know in real life. 

My dreams are normally very vivid, so it’s strange to me that I don’t have a better, clearer answer to this. :P 

Life With Masks

Warning!!! Might be triggering.

Spoiler

I have had dreams where I'm being raped (as un underage girl) by a male (people I know in real life, such as bullies of the past, or family members, I don't get why, they never did such things, and those dreams are more common), or dreams where I'm raping a girl that I know in real life (as a male, not so common), despite never been raped or raping someone. It's displeasing. I wished I stopped dreaming that, but from time to time such dreams keep reappearing. Last week I had a dream like that. I have never had dreams of me doing sex with someone, and when it happens, it mostly involves rape or suffering or someone seeing me naked unwantingly. Sometimes I have dreams of being pregnant unwantingly. There's never consented sex involved, although I wouldn't feel like doing it in real life anyway, even in the right situation. When the dreams are of sexual nature, I'm mostly an observer, that has no gender or attributes (as an invisible body, in watching a movie) that sees sexual scenarios, or, rarely, I'm an agendered person present watching those scenarios, and those do arouse me. I don't mind those. I sometimes see a female figure, other times I see a male figure, or both (never people from real life, and it's about sex acts mostly). I'm not sure if I'm a male or female, and I don't know how to get the feeling of knowing if I'm a male or female most of the time.

Most of my dreams involve me exploring detailed landscapes that you can only find in online games with beautiful scenary, or I might recall beautiful scenary of the past. Everything is magnanous and gigantic and breathtaking. I have dreams where I'm going inside a library, flying in the vast sky, flowing in space, exploring stores, and I'm alone most of the time, or accompanied by someone that I trust, but not too many people. However, there are dreams where I'm lost in a vast place with a lot of strangers and can't find my way. My gender is irrelevant. Sometimes there's no one present, as in, watching in third person. Most of my dreams involve scenarios and doing tasks, or people talking about information, I hardly focus on doing things with people or fictional characters that appear there. I don't remember ever having a dream of going on dates with anyone seriously, that I remember. But it's funny, I sometimes dream about being an adult male and dating a girl (adolescent or child) 😮. But I just feel that I'm on a date, I don't really kiss and do romantic things, I might hug though. I feel a lot of pressure for being a good boyfriend in those dreams, as in, I fear that I might hurt such a fragile looking girl. It feels like I'm sort of a boyfriend, but also an older brother, in between. I don't know how to explain any better. I might dream about other people having dates, though. That's something reminiscent of daily life, actually.

In most dreams, I'm in the form of a child most of the time, not as an adult, which makes sense. I still feel like a child inside even in real life. In most dreams (comprising a lot of them), I'm not seeing through the lens of first person, but as a third person (invisible), but I might be watching in third person and feel as if I'm in the body of a certain character that I can see.

In some dreams, when I die, I wake up. In others, I gain the consciousness of other people, and keep on living life in that new gained body. As in, if an attacker attacks me, I gain the body of the attacker and see things from his perspective from that point onwards.

I have had dreams where I could foresee my death or death of people in the real world, but it never happened in real life. Realistic profetic dreams don't happen.

I have had dreams where I'm taking a test and fail miserably, though I understand, it's because of anxiety.

I have had dreams that are hyperrealistic in the past (not anymore), and I knew I was dreaming. In most of them, I tried to force myself awake, but I couldn't, and I had to watch psychedelic scenarios over and over again, and time passed so slowly, the feeling was that I was dead or slowly dying and it wasn't a dream, although I knew I was dreaming, I felt I would dream forever, it was so agonising. Sometimes I was an inanimate object such as a ball, or a truck.

I also have dreams of bullying, but those I know why, unfortunately. I also have dreams about wars and trying to flee from unforeseen death.

Most of my dreams are in fact nightmares reminescent of my past near-traumatic events (or unrelated), or just dreams of exploration and learning. My dreams might be relating to real life events or might relate to fictional scenarios. In most dreams, I talk to no one. I feel that in most dreams I'm a female child, but I might be anything really, I've dreamt I was a pokémon many times, and sometimes those pokémon had genders or they were agendered 🤔

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

My perceived gender and appearance in my dreams changes all the time. It seems to be a fairly even mix between being male, female, or genderless across all of my dreams. Though sometimes I've had dreams where I change from male to female, but never the other way around. I also usually have no perceived age in my dreams.

No, never. I've never been anything other than a human female at whatever age I currently am. I know people who dream of being other creatures or genders or ages or all sorts of things, but I'm always just me as I am.

Fluffy Femme Guy

I'm just 'there' in my dreams. I don't feel male/female.

Typically my body is sexless in my dreams. I do have a body that's there, just not a notable sex. Usually I don't see / experience it in a way that would identify the sex, so I can't quite say. Sex characteristics just aren't apparent.

Sometimes though I'm cis-female. A few times I've been a trans woman who had medically transitioned. I've been my birth sex as well.

As for gender, I'm female. Like, I'm conceptually a girl in my dreams, despite whatever sex I may be. But that's probably a given. In some dreams though my gender isn't something I'm aware of or present as a concept, so it isn't noted or relevant in any way.

As a bit of a side note, there is a sense of gender neutrality in my dreams. There are still gendered things, but language for instance is very gender neutral. Nobody is addressed by gender, and pronoun usage is often the singular they.

I usually don't have a body in my dreams. But I can remember 2 that I had where in one i was cis-female and one where a goddess i guess gave me my real body.

Hmmm. What gender is opposite to mine, lol? And in which sense? 

When I thought I was a girl, I had dreams that I am male frequently. I was male in a superficial sense and when I took my clothes off too. Those were strange dreams when I hadn’t come to terms with gender stuff. I had a dream that I wanted to pee and the toilet was without walls and there were people around. And I took my pants off to pee and had male genitals and was ashamed of it and was afraid of someone finding out. Another time I was a female dancer and I remember this huge sense of shame when something was dangling between my legs as I danced in a beautiful skirt. I was trying to hide it at all cost but it only came out worse because I looked like I was hiding something. 

Am I girl now in dreams? A guy? I don’t have such a clear sense of gender any more. I don’t view the world as divided into two genders now. So I’m just me and other people in my dreams are also just themselves. Whatever expression we all might have and whatever bits. Yes, getting to know other “queers” helps a lot. 

That aside, I have dreams in which I’m animals or aliens or some other creatures or just a ghost or narrator. I have all sorts of strange dreams. But I haven’t had many lately. 

15 hours ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

I'm just 'there' in my dreams. I don't feel male/female.

Same.

Although I had several dreams back in high school and one just a few years back where I was physically male. 

High school ones were definitely NSFW.

One I had a few years back, hilariously asexual. It’s the one I use when people try to invalidate asexuals as actually just sexually repressed. Like, an “oh really now?” moment. Yup. So asexual my subconscious is asexual. 😆

Strangely though, if I do have dreams where I’m male now, I’m still physically AFAB minus the boobs, and I’m wearing my packer. It’s weird. 

I’m an odd duck. 🤣

giphy.gif

Oh I had those dreams in which I am a male character in a detective story! Or some adventure film. Or Harry Potter. Or an action hero. Or someone like this. It’s a clichee. 

I guess I don’t have that much shame about the top, but bottom - an awful lot. 

Fluffy Femme Guy
9 hours ago, Pixley said:

Although I had several dreams back in high school and one just a few years back where I was physically male. 

I've had a few in the past where I was distinctly male, but those are exceptions.

Usually there aren't other people, and the places usually aren't 'real'.

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm always sexless and ungendered, whatever I may be (person, dromaeosaur, car...).

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, mreid said:

@Anthracite_Impreza What do you look like when you dream of yourself as an ungendered person? How do you know you are ungendered?

Sexless = no physical sexual characteristics

Ungendered = I'm never referred to as any gender in my dreams, always "they/them".

Archived