How old are you when you discover sexual/romantic orientation

Violet of the Stars

I think I was probably 16 or 17 when I heard the term “asexual”. Before that I just assumed I hadn’t developed enough emotionally to be attracted to guys. When I got into high school, I just figured you had to have dated a guy to be into guys. I think I saw the word in a high school health book and it sounded kind of like how I felt. I did a google search and I came across this site (or something very similar). I told my mom about it and she told me to stay away and that I don’t have the life experience to be anything but straight. I just shoved it in the back of my head until recently.

At 15 I was heterosexual.

When I was 32 I was sure I was lesbian.

Then when I was 39 I thought maybe I was bi.

When I was 42 I came out that most of the times I don’t like sex so much and that most of the time I not even think about it. Maybe I’m grey?

Never heard about asexuality till my boyfriend told me he is asexual.

Now I’m 45 and I just don’t care anymore. I go with the flow.

Any age is fine to recognize yourself as an Ace. Thanks to internet, more people are being aware of their sexuality. I kind of knew I was something straight excluding the sex part. I always wanted to get married, and the sex part of marriage was something I viewed as a job which needs to be done. I found out asexuality as 18, some months ago. I am also considering the prospect of being aromantic. 

Violet of the Stars
On 9/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, Omega the Shadow said:

The videos were created by Ash Hardell. The first video was titled "Everything ASEXUAL and AROMANTIC". Does that sound familiar?

I first heard of asexuality on Youtube, when an artist I liked was making queer characters (The artist in question is RiverSpirit456), but I didn't question it at first. I checked out Ash Hardell's book The ABC's of LGBT+ at my local library as "research" because I wanted to make queer characters.

I like that too! I like the idea of, instead of internalizing invasive thoughts and taking them seriously, just regarding them as thoughts that got drunk and stumbled about being obnoxious.  “Oh dear, Uncle Phil is drunk again. Somebody take him away and put him to bed, then we can get on with what we’re doing.”

I never took them seriously 🤗. It's not just my sexuality that is the subject of these thoughts. One time when I was home alone, and my family was late, I though they got into a car crash or something. Don't worry, they were fine.