Why do humans keep pets?

QuantumEcho

10 hours ago, divided_sky said:

Emergency food source

Not daft. Rabbits in Europe, Guinea pigs in Peru to name but two were initially kept as a source of meat. Dogs were originally solely for work. 

Cats are the exception to the rule. They came to us. Originally in ancient times cereal farming produced grain, which begat lots of small rodents. Cats saw this as a food source. Humans appreciated an animal that got rid of the mice, without eating any of our crops themselves. 

Originally, at least with dogs, it's because it was more or less mutually beneficial relationship for early humans and wild dogs. The dogs were more alert and could warn people of danger and they got food.

this article is food for thought though

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Humans aren't the only animals that keep pets though...

Ants keep greenfly as food providers, The greenfly drink the sugars from the plants  (usually clovers) that ants plant for them, then they produce a nectar that the ants drink, so they are farming both plant and animal, much like we farm cows. they even fuss around these greenfly when any danger comes near.

Then there's the famous Koko, the gorilla who kept cats as pets. There are many more examples dotted around the net as well. 

If someone's having a bad day (or month, or year), a pet may be one factor that makes them realize whatever they're worried about might not be that big of a deal in the larger scheme of life. A lot of people rise to the responsibility of caring for a pet and it results in a mutually beneficial and healing bond. It is kind of weird if one thinks about it for a while, but it brings people happiness where they might not have had it otherwise. :) 

They are living stress balls that you can't squeeze 😛 No lie I think my parents cats love and hate me, bcoz I'll switch from just petting them when they come up wanting affection to picking them up (when they don't want to be held) and holding them while petting them lol. (Surprisingly they will still seek me out later and want my attention (when I'm busy) :lol: Cats are awesome xD 

On 9/10/2018 at 7:47 AM, Skycaptain said:

Not daft. Rabbits in Europe, Guinea pigs in Peru to name but two were initially kept as a source of meat. Dogs were originally solely for work. 

Cats are the exception to the rule. They came to us. Originally in ancient times cereal farming produced grain, which begat lots of small rodents. Cats saw this as a food source. Humans appreciated an animal that got rid of the mice, without eating any of our crops themselves. 

I didn't ask about any of that, but thank you for telling me that I'm not an idiot

I was thinking about this last night.  I have a dog, she's almost ten years old and getting old fast.  I have spent every sleeping hour with her and most of my non-working hours as well.  In the absence of another human in my life, I think an intelligent pet is the ideal companion.  I once said that I don't need a girlfriend because I have a great dog.  The person whom I was discussing this with sexualized that conversation and teased me about several times later on.

Pets don't give unsolicited advice. They never ask to borrow money either.

1 hour ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Pets don't give unsolicited advice. They never ask to borrow money either.

They demand stuff, vand cost you money instead 

58 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

They demand stuff, vand cost you money instead 

Still cheaper than a human SO.

Because a pet's love is always true. They do not judge you based on your race, gender, beliefs, and many other things. They just love you because you care for them and they care for you. At least that is how I looked at it.

I do have a cat named Moose who is just an amazing companion. Every morning, I always wake up to him just cuddling happily against me, purring and just being the cutest cat ever. He also loves to join me at the computer, relaxing my lap and what not. I enjoy this because I know truly he likes being around me and I will never be judged so harshly by him like many other humans would. He might never understand me due to being an animal but he understands the basics of emotions to care and be a companion as I take care of him...

Though, it is funny, that he is actually my sister's cat but I essentially take care of all of her cats ever since she got a dog... Since the cats got moved downstairs with me due to the dog being a big a-hole to them.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oddly enough, I'm pet sitting for my daughter (she has 3 Degus)...it's a while since I had a pet, but these cheery little rodents will fit the bill for the next three weeks. Making me wonder if I shouldn't have another rescue of my own. Maybe a couple of little Cockatiels. We'll see when the three weeks are up!

• 3 weeks later...
Satsuriku_No_Tenshi

I would say there are many reasons.

1. companionship
  2. love of animals
  3. education (teaching kids)
  4. help (as in using dogs for tasks)
  5. Hobby (horse riding)
  6. financial gain (like wool from sheep, eggs from chickens)
  7. culture and traditions
  8. novelty

I bet there are more I can't think of!

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 11:41 AM, Arcturus. said:

I never fully understood why we do that?. 

Well animals were tamed for a number of reasons. Such as hunting, work animals and so we could eat them. It makes sense some humans would find them cute and want to keep them around. Research has found many peoples mental reaction to animal harm is the same as watching the harming of children. Its also attractive to people who have problems with intimacy or who desire to have kids and can not. Animals are far more honest than humans and much easier to read as much of thier signals is displayed in very apperent body language. Where as people are not always so easy to understand and might just be nice with the alternative motive of killing, betraying or simply bedding you. 

Archived