Post some of your odd interests here!

Captain_Tass

Well, the title says it all!

My odd interest is symbolology. I'm really interested in symbols and their interpretation. It doesn't have to be written symbols either. One of my favorite things to do is trying to interpret my dreams, as there's lots of symbolism there. They also tend to be extremely weird, so that adds to the fun for me! I also love it when there's symbolism in writing and art, especially if it's subtle.

Luftschlosseule

Mummyfication and ghost stories. I've got one collection of fairy tales from ancient Egypt, and there's the story of a ghost who is reaching out to the officials. His grave site is unorderly! He has reached out twice before and nothing was done! It's an outrage!
It makes me giggle.

1 minute ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Mummyfication and ghost stories. I've got one collection of fairy tales from ancient Egypt, and there's the story of a ghost who is reaching out to the officials. His grave site is unorderly! He has reached out twice before and nothing was done! It's an outrage!
It makes me giggle.

Oh man, you just gave me flashbacks to my childhood! When I was a kid there used to be an encyclopedia series for kids which was a book/cd-rom bundle and naturally I collected every book and every cd-rom of that series. One issue in particular was about ancient egypt, and there was a minigame/storyboard kind of thing which showed the process of mummyfication (in a cartoonish way, but it still explained the whole process). That was one of my favorites and naturally I replayed it over and over again. Needless to say my parents had freaked out and I couldn't understand why.

Eating food in dream of night. I have watched dream from 3 years old. I tryd to eat food. until now I ate cakes, eel, whipped cream, and… I can't remember. if I slept, I will remember what I ate. I ate so much food in dream when I sleep. 

I don't know if anyone else has watched "Black Girl in a Big Dress" but it's about a black girl who cosplays a Victorian lady and the struggle she has with modern era wats, as well as racist themes, but it's not deep into that issue. But it's so cute! It gives me "Belle" vibes if anyone has watched the movie on Dido Belle. Lady Kate is my favorite new character, I kinda want to have a tea party while binge watching her series. Plus I'm excited season 2 is coming, yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

1 hour ago, The Dryad said:

I don't know if anyone else has watched "Black Girl in a Big Dress" but it's about a black girl who cosplays a Victorian lady and the struggle she has with modern era wats, as well as racist themes, but it's not deep into that issue. But it's so cute! It gives me "Belle" vibes if anyone has watched the movie on Dido Belle. Lady Kate is my favorite new character, I kinda want to have a tea party while binge watching her series. Plus I'm excited season 2 is coming, yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Thanks for sharing! I Just discovered this and it's hilarious! I watched the first episode... "Black people don't say fortnight" :lol: 

I like to watch Youtube videos by people like Slapped Ham and Tops5/Tops15 with at really weird guy who calls himself "Chills" who speaks in a monotone. They do ghost/paranormal/weird stuff found on the internet types episodes ...

Off Topic:  What's up with speaking in monotones these days?

Anthracite_Impreza

Do snail wrangling and train spotting count? :P

Also this:

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

I like to watch Youtube videos by people like Slapped Ham and Tops5/Tops15 with at really weird guy who calls himself "Chills" who speaks in a monotone. They do ghost/paranormal/weird stuff found on the internet types episodes ...

Creepy shit, especially at night...

Insect, arachnid, reptile, and amphibian taxidermy.

I'm also studying animal nutrition with Universiti Malayasia Kelantan and used to study end user mobile security, CompTIA,  Incident response, and social engineering with CybraryIT (maybe I'll pick it back up again one day I dunno), not sure if that's weird per say but I guess it isn't common.

I am a grabatogist. When I was at school there was a teacher who was a grabatologist and he inspired me to get into it, but I have never since come across anyone else who is one.

4 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I am a grabatogist. When I was at school there was a teacher who was a grabatologist and he inspired me to get into it, but I have never since come across anyone else who is one.

I know you probably get that a lot, but what is a grabatologist? Does it have anything to do with ties?

On 9/4/2018 at 3:29 PM, pH.bacon said:

Eating food in dream of night. I have watched dream from 3 years old. I tryd to eat food. until now I ate cakes, eel, whipped cream, and… I can't remember. if I slept, I will remember what I ate. I ate so much food in dream when I sleep. 

If this continues, you'll seriously need to diet in dream when you sleep, too 🙂

7 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I thought it was  cravatologist ... 🙂

(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cravat)

@Giwreh fun fact, in Greek (more accurately greek written with latin characters) tie is actually spelled "grabata". Though you're right, cravatologist is the correct term here. That being said

@Ortac That's a very nice unusual interest!

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Ortac said:

Is that a fancy name for thief? ;) 

Elftober Country

A few of mine:

Funeral customs

The American West

The golden age of piracy 

I'm highly interested in paleontology (geology major here).  It's a childhood preoccupation that just... persisted.

I love watching restorations. Doesn't even really matter what they're restoring (knives, furniture, power tools, buildings) I just find it super engaging/interesting.

I like looking at WW2 photos and footages mainly with the German Army(Wehrmacht). I do that because I love history,especially WW2 related history and I like to learn some things about the weapons used then.

I have been an avid amateur entomologist ever since finding a copy of the Peterson Field Guide to Insects at nine years old. There was a time when I aimed to pursue the subject professionally, but later found that stupid, mentally ill cavemen and college don't mix particularly well. I will never cease to be fascinated by insects of all kinds, and so I still play in forests, gardens, creeks, and all sorts of other habitats like a dork to find them and observe them as they go about their lives. 

Spiders and other arachnids are of equal interest and wonder to my mind, so I am a very amateur arachnologist as well. 

In addition to the above, I also have interests in ichthyology, mycology, medicine, surrealist art (and a particular fascination with the life and work of Salvador Dali), prehistoric art, history in general, both World Wars, and many other fascinations that might be considered to be a bit odd. And I listen to numbers stations.

World War 2 (Namely Pearl Harbor and the battle of Midway)

In fact my knowledge of World War 2 I won my mom $2000 worth of power tools on a radio call in contest.

J. van Deijck

someone said odd interests? there's a bit of me then.

electricity, ionising radiation, number stations, weapons, the army, I'm also strongly fascinated with Chernobyl, Duga radars, HAARP and anything similar, unexplained engineering constructions, UVB-76 and similar things. I rarely find people who actually share my interests 😃

My "weird" interests include, Metaphysical(Crystals, things like that) and Tarot cards. And Forged in Fire, even though being crafty isn't a quality I have.  

I like creating aesthetic lists- most people like creating mood boards for this purpose, or Pinterest boards, but I like the simplicity of lists.

I'm super nerdy about names, which extends into an interest in mythologies.  But names, their histories, origin, meaning, variants, usage and such is super interesting to me.  I have many long lists and collections, and the only other forum I was ever active on was about names.  I own almost 10 different books about names, and I have read most of them several times.  And I have read a few more from the library.

I'm trying to be able to name as many ferns as possible, especially those I encounter in my wilds.  I will probably expand to mosses and lichen when I feel confident about my fern knowledge.  Botany in general, at least being able to name stuff I encounter, is something I will explore the rest of my life.

J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, The Dryad said:

I like creating aesthetic lists- most people like creating mood boards for this purpose, or Pinterest boards, but I like the simplicity of lists.

ooo I like creating moodboards/Pinterest boards tbh 😃

EggplantWitch

Weird weather phenomena. I don't even know that much about what causes them (because I forget, not because I'm not interested...) but I could read and watch documentaries about odd clouds and bizarre precipitations for hours. I'm also a 21 year old girl who collects LEGO, but I really have no idea how strange that is or not. Never been the best at gauging that sort of thing!

I also like creating aesthetic boards. My Pinterest is full of them. They're all related to anime characters, of course. I've been meaning to create some new ones. 😅

I'm really invested in Japanese Literature (thanks, BSD), and I will spend a full day researching the author's life story if I have the time to.

Archived