Post some of your odd interests here!

Captain_Tass

On 9/9/2018 at 10:18 AM, Hild said:

I'm super nerdy about names, which extends into an interest in mythologies.  But names, their histories, origin, meaning, variants, usage and such is super interesting to me.  I have many long lists and collections, and the only other forum I was ever active on was about names.  I own almost 10 different books about names, and I have read most of them several times.  And I have read a few more from the library.

Names are cool. I think I first got interested in names because of Tolkien. I have several books about surnames, first names, place names, character names (for writing fiction or for rpgs). You're right, names (good ones) are key for mythologies as well as fiction in general. :) 

I have some niche hobbies (like board games).

Enjoying a show like Popee the Performer is almost guaranteed to earn me some strange looks. Well, what can I say - it is weird. :lol:

I also have a strong interest in the paranormal and UFOs. Although it doesn't feel weird to me personally at all, others have expressed confusion towards it at times, mostly because they don't believe in such stuff. Maybe they don't like it when I call every blinking light in the sky a UFO. 

Highway interchanges and urban planning and mobility. Just thousands of rivers of cars... one goes bad and everything floods! Gotta make it right gotta make it perfect! And aesthetically pleasant on top of that!

On 9/10/2018 at 10:05 PM, daveb said:

Names are cool. I think I first got interested in names because of Tolkien. I have several books about surnames, first names, place names, character names (for writing fiction or for rpgs). You're right, names (good ones) are key for mythologies as well as fiction in general. :) 

:)

Tolkien might have had a part in my interest for names as well, he's good like that ;)

Writing seems to have fuelled my interest as well, I remember having novel ideas that started with names I was obsessed with.  Fiammetta was one, I built a whole world around that name, but stopped short of actually writing the story, which is typical.  Leto was another missed opportunity.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, Hild said:

:)

Tolkien might have had a part in my interest for names as well, he's good like that ;)

Writing seems to have fuelled my interest as well, I remember having novel ideas that started with names I was obsessed with.  Fiammetta was one, I built a whole world around that name, but stopped short of actually writing the story, which is typical.  Leto was another missed opportunity.

There's a character in Dune named Leto.

I haven’t done this in a while, but I like looking a floor plans or houses for sale and try to imagine the kinds of families would live there.

Learning about how things were before the release of a work of fiction, especially video games (beta versions, prototypes, etc). I like reading articles on The Cutting Room Floor, even for games I've never played. To think that things could have been so different...

I felt like a child on Christmas morning when it was announced that the demo versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver had finally been found! It was so exciting.

I also like comparing translations, but that's probably not that odd as I study translation.

23 hours ago, Ardoise said:

There's a character in Dune named Leto.

I never read Dune, but it's an awesome character name!  I love sci-fi, but I'm super sceptical about classics.  Just because something was first or early, doesn't mean it's great.  

Leto is from Greek mythology, I think the name means "hidden one", which is part of the reason I wanted to use it.  I also considered Siri, which means "secret" in Swahili, and "victory and beauty" in Norwegian, but I ultimately decided against it because apple stole it.........

Leto makes me think of the actor, Jared Leto, even though I have never seen any of his movies.

I don't know whether this can be counted as odd, but I have an obsession with black holes or space in general. I spend time reading about galaxies or terms which I have no clue about. Other interest of mine is graphology. I also like reading profiles on serial killers at times. 

No longer active

I like documentaries, which in of itself isn't that odd. But, I really wish there were more documentaries about fairly mundane things. So many documentaries are about:

1. Something depressing

2. Something/someone inspiring

3. About famous people

4. About famous events

5. Similar stuff

The world is so interesting, though! So many things could make great documentaries! 

One example of this is when I saved the documentary "Paperclips" for later viewing. My husband saw this and was surprised, as he knows that depressing films often, well, depress me. So, he asked me if I was sure I wanted to watch it. I was like "hell yeah, I'll find out all about the history of paperclips, how they're made, their cultural significance, etc!" Turns out it is a documentary about a class that decided to collect million of paperclips to try to understand the enormity of the Holocaust. So, yeah, glad he caught that. 

There are sometimes when it's worked out for me, though. For example:

1. Helvetica

2. Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story

3. The King of Kong

Still wish there was a documentary about paperclips, though. 

2 hours ago, Cinders said:

I like documentaries, which in of itself isn't that odd. But, I really wish there were more documentaries about fairly mundane things.

I saw a long documentary recently about how Evian mineral water is sourced, bottled and distributed. I really enjoyed it! 

2 hours ago, Cinders said:

But, I really wish there were more documentaries about fairly mundane things.

Oh, I can really understand that! I wish that was the case as well. I like watching things like that on youtube, everytime I stumble upon a video with such a topic I'm immediately captivated. Sadly, there isn't a lot of these videos around, but I've found that channels like Summoning Salt work for me as well (Summoning Salt makes documentary-like videos concerning video game speedrunning and the history of the world record time of each game. Pretty interesting, even if you're not into speedrunning)

I like to watch clouds on windy days.

I like insects (that's not that odd, I know) and genetic disorders, I also find flags really cool... 

On 9/16/2018 at 11:08 AM, Hild said:

I ordered the book, A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, for myself for my upcoming birthday. :) 

2 hours ago, XYZ96 said:

I like insects (that's not that odd, I know) and genetic disorders, I also find flags really cool... 

Hey, so do I! All of these! I like flies in particular. During the summer I once stayed up until 4 am looking up genetic disorders and mutations (aspiring biologist here) and cracking idiotic jokes to myself until i fell asleep. I lead a good life, I know. As for the flags, I love looking into the symbolism behind them. That includes LGBT+ pride flags, as they are created with symbolism in mind (as is any other flag).

I collect medical textbooks, and have read most of the ones I have. 

15 hours ago, Life Of Tass said:

Hey, so do I! All of these! I like flies in particular. During the summer I once stayed up until 4 am looking up genetic disorders and mutations (aspiring biologist here) and cracking idiotic jokes to myself until i fell asleep. I lead a good life, I know. As for the flags, I love looking into the symbolism behind them. That includes LGBT+ pride flags, as they are created with symbolism in mind (as is any other flag).

I like lady beetles most.

I remember I had this one text book in 6th or 7th grade that I really liked, it was a text book on genetics and it had one chapter completely on genetic disorders, because of that book (and being interested in inheritance since late elementary school), when our teacher in 11th grade put up a karyogram (I hope that's the English word for it..) and asked us what type of mutation it was, expecting to the answer 'chromosomal', I raised my hand and told her it was Cri-du-Chat syndrome (a chunk of the chromosome 5 is missing), thinking obviously that was the answer she wanted, I was right and she was confused why I knew what that was. I also used to just randomly read about genetic disorders, and that probably made me a little bit to happy, you know wake up half asleep, thinking, 'what parent does someone inherit Angelman syndrome from again?' and and hour later, before even getting out of bed reading up on some kind of dwarfism...  

I don't know what it is about flags I like, I just really like nicely designed flags... my favorite flags are Nauru's and Estonia's. So the thing with Nauru's flag, is it's the ocean, with the equator and Nauru as a star right below the equator, it's basically a super simplified map

• 2 weeks later...

I create languages.

Yõᶎuş joluya.

Vaszaszy nikisz.

Archived