Your Weirdest Fears

Roidgy

and by "weirdest" i just mean "not depressing" because i want this to be a relatively happy place

Some of mine:

tokophobia: cant stand the thought of pregnancy or childbirth!!! Just thinking about having a live thing growing and writhing inside you, misfiguring you to a ridiculous degree, stealing all your nutrients, giving you chronic vomiting, feeling it KICK you from the inside, then having it finally squeezed out, squirming and shrieking, covered in body fluids, UGGGGHHHHH

agoraphobia: its complicated. Mostly afraid of open spaces and sometimes crowds. When im directly under the sky i feel like im going to fall out of the world. The skys going to eat me. Agoraphobia is easy to get from ptsd, which i have

thalassophobia: fear of exploring large bodies of water. So big... so dark..... imagine what could be hiding in there.......

losing my lower jaw: my lower gets frequently dislocated because one of my jaw bones is much longer than the other. It is Excruciating, i can't swallow, i cant talk, i can barely even breathe, and i have to cover my face or ill look like a freak. I cant imagine how horrible completely losing your jaw must be.

that my headmates will one day disappear: I have DID and my headmates/alters really help me get through life, they've become very close friends. I feel like if any of them were to just disappear one day, id stop being able to function at all, like id just turn into a vegetable or something.

I don't mind if you make fun of any of them i understand phobias can be silly!

I have a fear of swimming in large or deep bodies of water. Sharks and other predators are part of the reason, but even if I knew for a fact there were no creatures swimming around in the water, it would still freak me out for some reason. When I was little was too scared to swim in the deep end of swimming pools for that reason.

I was also terrified of water fountains until I was around 8. Even small ones that just sprayed a little bit of water scared me.

@Gloomy

the bodies of water one is called Thalassophobia, i have it too and i try to play a lot of water exploration games to try to get over it,,, hhhhh lots of mini heart attacks

I can kinda understand the water fountain one, tho i dont know how to describe it. I bet adults thought it was cute tho

Duke Memphis

I used to have a fear of vans, but then I almost got hit by one. Long story.

I've actually never had specific fears. Like if you jump out at me I get spooked, but I don't know what it's like to panic whenever *blank* happens.

I guess I've taken my guts for granted my whole life 😕

Captain_Tass

I've got a fear of elevators. Like, it's okay if I have another person in the elevator with me, but if I'm alone in an elevator I freak out.

EggplantWitch

I'm afraid of thunderstorms - astraphobia, iirc. I find meterology absolutely fascinating and could watch documentaries about the weather for hours, but even when I'm in a building and I know there is an absolutely zero percent chance of anything happening, I still get jumpy. Apparently I'm in good company, as Julius Caeser also suffered from it - if you consider him good company, anyway.

RoseGoesToYale
1 hour ago, Roidgy said:

losing my lower jaw: my lower gets frequently dislocated because one of my jaw bones is much longer than the other. It is Excruciating, i can't swallow, i cant talk, i can barely even breathe, and i have to cover my face or ill look like a freak. I cant imagine how horrible completely losing your jaw must be.

I've also got jaw issues (right now it won't open straight up and down). Not sure if it's TMJ or what, but I'm terrified it's going to get locked shut or stuck so bad I'll try to open it and crack it in two. It's terrifying.

I do have a fear of water, but only if the water is still as glass and I can see the bottom of whatever vessel hold it. So unused swimming pools and fountains that are turned off freak me out. I feel like some unseen force is going to make me fall in and drag me to the bottom. Lakes, oceans, and moving bodies of water are totally fine, though.

Among the others are tokophobia, emetophobia, synentephobia (I made this one up... fear of having to interview someone), aichmophobia, and hurricane phobia.

Cheshire-Cat

I hate raw meat, especially raw chicken. The texture of it really freaks me out so if I ever have to cook with it I do my best not to touch it. Though I still don't like even touching the plastic box it's in and knowing it's in my shopping bag creeps me out.

Also anything going near my eyes, which is a nightmare when you have a degenerative eye condition!

@Ambo-blossom

i totally feel that, raw meat is so weirdly gross, especially fish. I once bit into a raw fish. It felt like..... Gelatin you cant penetrate. It was awful

My brother also has the fear of things going near his eyes, when he got his first contacts he had to stay at the optometrist for about 6 hours before he managed to get them in.

Cheshire-Cat
2 minutes ago, Roidgy said:

@Ambo-blossom

i totally feel that, raw meat is so weirdly gross, especially fish. I once bit into a raw fish. It felt like..... Gelatin you cant penetrate. It was awful

My brother also has the fear of things going near his eyes, when he got his first contacts he had to stay at the optometrist for about 6 hours before he managed to get them in.

When I first tried contacts they gave up trying to put them in for me the first time as they couldn't get near my eyes. In the end I gave up on them as I hated them so much.

And I hate fish too.

I got stuck under the carseat (long story) and now I have mild claustrophobia mainly in places where I can't get out. If I can leave an area in usually ok, it's just when I'm stuck.

I used to have more serious automatonophobia (fear of dolls, mannequins) but the only thing that really bothers me now are mannequins, especially the ones in museums where they have the fake skin and hair... ugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh...I swear they move! 😰

Also until I looked it up and saw all those photoshopped pictures I didn't really get bothered by it. But now I wonder if I have mild trypophobia? (Fear of holes) mainly in clusters, apart they aren't as creepy. They just give me a sickening feeling. It's really annoying but I just try to ignore it.

@Lonely Mudkip

i also have an intense fear of dolls/mannequins but i always figured it was normal :/

weirdly enough i love trypo stuff.... hhh just wanna run my hands all over it

Anthracite_Impreza

Lawn mowers and strimmers. Yes, I'm serious, no I won't mow the lawn or go anywhere near one when it's on. I have this fear of getting my feet mangled or being impaled by strimmer wire (that happened to one of our neighbours, it only confirmed my worries).

Also deepness, open flat land, somehow getting pregnant and emptiness. I have many others, but they're not "weird".

@Anthracite_Impreza

fear of open flat land is also Agoraphobia! 

I used to know a girl who had her big toe chopped off by a lawn mower, she had to wear a prosthetic

Cheshire-Cat

One of my friends sisters has a phobia of bananas that's so bad she ended up in a psych hospital over it.

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, Roidgy said:

@Anthracite_Impreza

fear of open flat land is also Agoraphobia! 

I used to know a girl who had her big toe chopped off by a lawn mower, she had to wear a prosthetic

You see, exactly what I'm talking about! They shouldn't be allowed to exist!

3 minutes ago, Ambo-blossom said:

One of my friends sisters has a phobia of bananas that's so bad she ended up in a psych hospital over it.

Seriously?! I'd die! Bananas are my favorite food!

Me protect bananas! Only mine!

I have a fear of flying insects, especially beetles. They creep me out. 

Other than that, it's just the standard heights and to a lesser degree, small spaces. Small spaces for me are larger than for most others as I'm 6'3" or 192 cm.

I don't like elevators either, since you could be trapped if the power goes out or something. I used to work in a 13 story building. I worked on the first floor but would sometimes have to go up to the top floor, and I would take the stairs the whole way to avoid the damn elevator. I guess on the bright side it was good exercise. 

1 hour ago, EggplantWitch said:

I'm afraid of thunderstorms - astraphobia, iirc. I find meterology absolutely fascinating and could watch documentaries about the weather for hours, but even when I'm in a building and I know there is an absolutely zero percent chance of anything happening, I still get jumpy. Apparently I'm in good company, as Julius Caeser also suffered from it - if you consider him good company, anyway.

Ooohhhh...  He SHOULD have had aichmopjobia.

I'm severely astraphobic. I wasn't always, so it's kind of weird. I think it stems from one day when I was out taking a walk, and a severe thunderstorm started. I was miles from home and scared shitless, so I called my mom and asked her to pick me up.

Fear of being seen as fearful.

Fear of small spaces that are dark that contain people

Myrmecophobia (fear of ants/ ant like insects). For me it's their mandibles, they just look scary and creepy and ugh. 

SpaceDustbin

Large empty rooms (especially if there's white walls). I have no problems whatsoever with small, confined spaces, but for some reason large empty halls creep me out.

And monkeys/apes. Nothing cute about it whatsoever. Too smart for their own good, and pure evil :lol:.  

@SpaceDustbin@mreid

I used to have the same fear after I saw a bunch of chimps rip people's faces off, but then I saw how cute and harmless and pure  gorillas (as well as well as other, non-chimp apes and monkeys) and I just fell in love.....

SpaceDustbin

It suddenly clicks why I never really liked Tarzan or Jungle Book 😛(let alone the new adaptation with the mega orangutan o.0 )

I was TERRIFIED of monkeys when i was little. i'm over it now, supposedly because of Abu in Aladdin? 😝  Good to know now that one actually made sense and wasn't just me! Can't say the same for my other irrational childhood fears that stuck with me.... 0.0

Archived