Tell Your Scar Stories

Lady Constellation

CaptainMarvel

I did diving for a while, and was used to pools that were 12 feet deep because that was the depth we practiced in. In the summer we had a membership to a pool that only went 9 feet deep. So I dove into this 9 foot deep pool and when I started to swim back up to the surface the top of my foot scraped against the rough bottom of the pool because I hadn’t been expecting it to be so shallow. When I got out of the pool I saw I had a cut right near my pinky toe, and it really stung. (Side note: I would not recommend chlorine in open wounds) About a week later, once my foot had almost completely healed, I did the exact same thing AGAIN. Like, same foot, same place, everything. That summer I ended up scraping my foot that way at least 3 other times, and now I have a scar.

I have one scar on one leg from when I was around 6 or 7.  I was playing outside the back garden with my football.  I booted the football hard, not initially realising I had sliced my leg on Dad's small plough.  It was only when my leg began to feel wet that I realised I was bleeding - and there was a nasty gash in it.  I think I could see my bone, but the memory is vague (bear in mind I'm now 42, so this happened a few decades ago!)

Also, when I was 8 years old, I got run over by a car.  As a result, I broke my leg and have got a scar on my other leg, as well as a long(ish) on my left foot and on the left side of my head.

I remember waking up in the operating theatre when the surgeon was sewing up my foot.  I can still remember the feeling of the needle going into my flesh.

Also, back in 2010, I went down with cellulitis.  As part of the infection, I had blisters all over my legs, one of which was the size of a tennis ball.  As a result of having cellulitis, my lower legs are a permanent shade of red and purple.

I've had various other medical problems over the years (including some 'delightful' ulcers on both of my legs), but these are just a few.

I'm in first grade and I just got a pocket knife from cub scouts (some outdoor thing for kids here).my little brother takes it and starts cutting a piece of wood behind me while I'm reading Harry Potter to him. I turn around after hearing it, my hand goes near the knife, the knife slips, and cuts my thumb open. Now my thumb looks like it's smiling.

The most notcible scar is on the back of my hand from where I fell over as a kid and took a chunk out of it.

I have a few noticeable  scars on my face and stomach from where I had chicken pox as a kid too

I have a faint one across my nose but I have no idea how it got there

Also a faint one on my shoulder, remember the shoes with wheels that always got stones stuck in, yeah I flew down a hill

13 hours ago, Mae__ said:

Also a faint one on my shoulder, remember the shoes with wheels that always got stones stuck in, yeah I flew down a hill

Are you talking about Heelys? Those were all the rage when I was a kid. I never had any myself. I did have rollerblades though.

15 minutes ago, Ms. Carolynne said:

Are you talking about Heelys? Those were all the rage when I was a kid. I never had any myself. I did have rollerblades though.

YES! Those were the devil

The most noticeable scar I have is on my left arm. Had a reaction to a calcium iv drip when I was a baby and it burnt me from the inside out. I use to draw it into the shape of a scorpion when I was a kid 😹

I've got scars on more parts of my body than not, but most of them are surgical in nature and don't have very fun or interesting stories behind them unless you're a doctor who needs my medical history from me. Being stupid and paraplegic did give me a knack for injuring my legs and feet as a boy, however, and there's one on my arm that comes from a mishap at the local Walmart; it's nice and visible when I habitually shake my fist at the rotten place when I happen to pass it by, though it's not closely related to the reasons I despise that diseased, putrid tumor of a store chain.

Because my feet are little more than vestigial flipper-esque appendages and my legs were weak at the best of times, I crawled about for far longer than most children do. Indeed, I favored that method of getting about in many places up until the age of 12 when some unexpected, bizarre problem during a urological surgery of all things ended up leaving me all but paralyzed below the waist. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm grateful to have been able to move about outside of a wheelchair so freely for as long as I could. But though I could move my legs enough to crawl in that fashion, my ability to actually *sense* what was happening to them in the process was very limited, and thus there were times when I'd kick them back out from under me to find some gnarly...stuff.

One of the scars on my right foot that is not left over from one surgery or another is actually the result of catching the flesh on a loose nail stuck in the floor of the old, dilapidated green house in which I used to live. I remember hearing the rip as it happened, but couldn't feel a thing of course and didn't bother to give myself a look-over until a few moments later. I'd bled a nice path from where it happened and I quickly noticed a long strip of skin and meat torn loose from the foot. Sat there admiring it for a bit until my dumbassed cave-boy brain put two and two together, got five - no, wait, mama said two and two is four - ooooohhhh, phooey AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

It sticks in my mind a little for some reason. The audible sound of the flesh tearing, and a nice bit of fresh human meat hanging on like it was ready to be made into novelty jerky saying "hello." And I used to be terrified of the sight of blood, until I'd bled myself so much being an idiot that I simply had to figure out how to deal with it. My mother fortunately is a wonderfully wise, patient woman (I love her with all my heart and soul and will tell this to anyone - gives me a huge love and appreciation for good moms in general) and has a combination of a teacher's and a nurse's education, so she fixed me right up and made sure the nail was convicted and sentenced to Old Useless Nail Prison for life, but the scar decided to hang around as a reminder to maybe watch where I am dragging my bodily appendages, please and thank you.

Mom has other stories I don't remember as well. I crawled across some old wooden boards or some such as a toddler and came back to her absolutely covered in splinters. One time I thought it was a great idea to drag myself over some particularly rough concrete around a pool and skinned myself quite nicely. 

Oh, and there's one on my left elbow from slicing it open on the edge of a glass panel. That one also sticks out more than usual in my mind, because it also made a very distinctive sound as it sliced through the flesh. And funnily enough - I'll always wonder a bit about this - it didn't hurt. At all. No pain, despite having no deficiencies in that area above the waist. You'd think cutting your elbow good and deeply with sharp glass would wake up one's pain receptors at least to some extent, but this was dreamlike; it felt like nothing at all except a somewhat off-putting, sliding sensation over that thin layer of flesh over the bone. I didn't react much at all until I looked over and saw what I'd actually managed to do.

EDIT: Oh, damnit, I'm too verbose when I'm writing. Whoops. Two extremes; get me in person, you can't get me to say a coherent word most of the time. Get me online, I talk and talk about shit no one cares about...uh...oh, yeah. I have a strong upper body by necessity to compensate for everything below being either weak or essentially useless, and I was not always aware of the potential consequences of this. So, one time I knocked on my grandparents' door...by hitting the glass. Firmly. It broke-ed, my fist went right through, and that's why I have some of the odd looking scars on my hands. 

See, I should have used my head. 

I have one on the inside of my left foot because of a bone spur removal. It’s really hard to see know, but I had a scar on my right elbow after being hit by a bus (it was fabric burn from my clothes).

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, Glyn said:

I have one scar on one leg from when I was around 6 or 7.  I was playing outside the back garden with my football.  I booted the football hard, not initially realising I had sliced my leg on Dad's small plough.  It was only when my leg began to feel wet that I realised I was bleeding - and there was a nasty gash in it.  I think I could see my bone, but the memory is vague (bear in mind I'm now 42, so this happened a few decades ago!)

Also, when I was 8 years old, I got run over by a car.  As a result, I broke my leg and have got a scar on my other leg, as well as a long(ish) on my left foot and on the left side of my head.

I remember waking up in the operating theatre when the surgeon was sewing up my foot.  I can still remember the feeling of the needle going into my flesh.

Also, back in 2010, I went down with cellulitis.  As part of the infection, I had blisters all over my legs, one of which was the size of a tennis ball.  As a result of having cellulitis, my lower legs are a permanent shade of red and purple.

I've had various other medical problems over the years (including some 'delightful' ulcers on both of my legs), but these are just a few.

Damn!

Are you sure you're not a cat (after all of those dangerous scrapes you've gotten out of....)?

3 hours ago, krystal_muzik said:

Damn!

Are you sure you're not a cat (after all of those dangerous scrapes you've gotten out of....)?

Fair enough, I've had my fair share of things happen to me, but I still consider myself luckier than a lot of people.  There are others who've had it worse than me!

I have a groove on my nose from when I was like 9 and trying to swim under the rope at the pool to go into the shallow end and another kid scratched me hard on the nose. It never bled but now I look like a lion!:D

left wrist: a broken glass in the dishwater
left middle fingertip: a surprisingly sharp knife while slicing a tomato

back of left hand: a spray bottle twisted in my hand and scrapped off a patch of skin

left hand index finger: my hand slipped while I was skinning a moose

left hand pinky finger: um.... don't get your hand stuck between a belt and its tension wheel, trust me it hurts.

right hand index finger: 3 from burns while working in a fast food kitchen

chest: a small cist

right thigh right under my butt: fell out of my bed when I was 5, no idea how that resulted in tearing my leg but it did.

left elbow: burn, I think.
right shin: shaving accident

right knee: got hit by a minivan while riding a bike. Helmets save lives, but not knees.

For years I had a scar by my thumb from putting on a pair of tights in a hurry. I was running late for work, and the edge of a toenail gouged a chunk of skin out of my hand when I pulled them over my foot. 

Once I picked up my cat, Alma, to get her out of my room as I was going to leave the room to go eat. Then I accidentally hit my arm into the door frame and spooked her with the noise. She proceeded to jump out of my hands with such force that her claws dug into my hand and it hurt like heck. The end! The scars that were left ended up being surprisingly small though and I'm quite glad about that.

When I was likkle, I fell of a bunk bed or something and hit my head on the hard ground. I've got a small scar above my eyebrow. 

I don't remember this, but when I was about 2-3 years old, I tripped while playing and I unluckily, fell on a small stone, which hit my forehead. The stone got embedded in my forehead, and one of the doctors suggested surgery. However my family doctor just gave me some kind of medicine, and the stone fell out. Now I have a slightly indented forehead. 

I have a scar on my right leg which I got from scratching my leg in my sleep thanks to mosquitoes. 

I broke my finger during a handball match. It hurt like hell, but I still figured it was just sprained (I was in denial). So I went to practice three times and played another match before I finally went to the doctor two weeks later, because it looked really crooked and weird. Turns out, the bone had broken into three pieces, so I had to have surgery, and I therefore have an L-shaped scar on my index finger on my left hand.

I have a barely noticeable one on the underside of my right arm from being cut on a barbed wire fence

I have a small one that looks like a wishbone on my left palm, just below the index finger, from when i cracked a glass pipe

• 1 month later...

I have one big scar on my knee from when I was biking and got hit by a car. On the rest of my body (mostly on my back, legs and face, but currently more and more on my fingers) I've got scars from skin picking. 

SorryNotSorry

A longitudal inch-long scar on the inside of my right wrist that looks like a worm in bas relief. Got it when I was 13 and the X-Acto knife slipped when I was building a model airplane.

A couple of little bruise-like marks near my right ankle where I burnt myself with an electric heating pad when I was asleep a couple of years ago.

I have a scar on the back of my right hand from rough housing with my sister on our grandparents pool from 15 years ago. I also have one on my right temple from falling off the bed and hitting the night stand. My last one is on my left cheek from scaring my dog after he got neutered. 

I have a scar above my right breast from when I was holding my rabbit while wearing a low cut shirt, the dog had spooked him with a random bark, and he scratched me while trying to get away. I also have a scar on my left middle finger from when my friend was playing with a machete when we were 14. He stabbed it into the ground at one point and I went to grab it to put it back, he also grabbed for it at the same time and pulled it put while i was reaching for it and my finger closed onto the blade edge. My mom ended up making me a makeshift splint out of popsicle sticks after cleaning the cut with antibiotic soap, water, antiseptic alcohol, and neosporin. Never went to the hospital despite both parents claiming I did for a tetanus shot (never happened, I definitely would have remembered getting a shot). No stitches and still have the scar. It was kind of funny because for the next two weeks I would flip off my friend that did it and told him he almost cut off my favorite finger, lol.

Most of my scars come from really dumb stuff.

When I was in third grade we read a book in class about a kid who learns to carve wood. I wanted to try it, so one day when my parents were at the neighbor's house, I went and got a block of wood from the garage, a steak knife from the kitchen, and started sawing. Obviously it didn't work, and I slipped and sliced my finger. Cue running sobbing through the neighborhood.

I've got two scars on my knee from when I fell off my bike and got rocks embedded in my knee. I rode my bike all the way home before I dug them out.

Once I jumped out of a tree and I did feel a branch scratch my back, but I didn't think it was a big deal. A couple hours later, someone pointed out that the entire back of my shirt was covered in blood. I still don't know why such a minor scratch bled so much or scarred so much.

I have also have a surgery scar on my arm and tons of small scars from dermatelomania. 

Archived