Opinions on sport/Excerse

Tintinfan

Sports/Excerse  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What sports/ excerse type do you do?

• Running
    • Cycling
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Climbing/extreme sport
    • Dance
    • Hockey
    • Tennis
    • Throwing sport -javerlin etc
    • Other exercise class
    • Rollerskating/skateboarding
    • Track sport - long jump
    • Lacrosse
    • Swimming
    • Badminton
    • Table tennis
    • Walking/hiking
    • Volleyball
    • Other not listed that I will add below
    • I don't do sport and I'm not sure what I do it
  2. 2. Why do you do exercise/sport?

• I love it and it gives me joy
    • Because friends do it
    • I like to keep in shape
    • It gets me out and closer to nature
    • Part of physiotherapy
    • My partner does it
    • I am easily bored and do sod all else
    • I don't do sport and still don't know why I'm here.
    • It's my job
    • Other - will tell below
  3. 3. How many hours of exercise /sports do you do a week?

• Below an hour
    • 1- 5 hours
    • 6-10
    • 11-20
    • 21-30
    • 30+
  4. 4. Do you stick to one sport or do multiple

• One sport
    • Multiple
    • Yes I'm still here and I don't sport
  5. 5. Do you tend towards team or singular sport/ excerse types?

• Team
    • Singluar
    • I don't do sports and i don't know why I'm here
  6. 6. Your patience has been rewarded people who don't do sport - why don't you?

• Hate excerse with a passion
    • Physically unable
    • No time available
    • I would but I don't know how to start
    • Other - will tell below

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I've easily halved my calorie intake, it didn't make any difference.

That reads as ... not telling the full story...

(As I heared several times before, from different people who denied to face a few realities)

Anyway, each of us does what he/she wants.  Not really a problem with that.  But, physics and physiology, are bound to mathematical laws. Opinion & fantasy are not.

That how the human being is 🙂 

If I don't get regular intense exercise my self care goes down the drain. I start having trouble sleeping which leads to other problems, the most difficult being reduced mental health. So it's just necessary and I try partake in forms I enjoy. I also require ongoing physical therapy for various things. Bodies, jeez, they need a lot of upkeep for sure. It can be hard to find the time, and I'm not a morning person. I feel annoyed that club culture is so so alcohol and sex fueled because dancing is the most fun high impact exercise there is. I don't often meet people who feel that way about it. 

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Giwreh said:

(As I heared several times before, from different people who denied to face a few realities)

Anyway, each of us does what he/she wants.  Not really a problem with that.  But, physics and physiology, are bound to mathematical laws. Opinion & fantasy are not.

That how the human being is 🙂 

Are you implying I haven't halved my calorie intake? That I'm in denial? I'm spending 75% of my waking life starving because I've cut out so much.

2 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Are you implying I haven't halved my calorie intake? That I'm in denial? I'm spending 75% of my waking life starving because I've cut out so much

He is just stating that some people lie about their calorific intake.

I doubt that you are though.

5 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I have to get up, move my incredibly uncoordinated, flabby body around, be in pain, be all sweaty and horrible, be by definition the opposite of relaxed, and for what? Bitter disappointment in my experience. I exercised every day for a month a few months ago, didn't lose a single pound. Completely gave up after that.

It sounds like you are caught in a vicious circle of unpleasant experience and disappointment as far as exercise is concerned and it would be tough to break out of that. The more you do, the more you are able to do and conversely if you do very little, your body is not going to be used to exercise and it is going to respond badly when you try. 

I always advise people who try out a new type of exercise for the first time that chances are, initially they will NOT like it; in fact they may even hate it. But to get anywhere you have to use some will power and keep at it, because once your body becomes used to it, it will no longer hurt, it will make you feel good instead of crap, and you will start to enjoy it, but that takes a bit of time and persistence. Chances are your best chance of succeeding with exercise would be to have an experienced exercise buddy or personal trainer. If you can keep up a particular exercise regime for six months, then chances are you will keep it up for life. 

It is best not to focus too much on weight loss when doing exercise; the main focus should be about how it makes you feel, which may begin negatively but should eventually turn positive. Remember - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

Golf and walking 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play football, then I was struck down with illness and I had to give up, fast forward 12 years, I became ill again, the doctor said that I could end up with type 2 diabetes as it runs in the family, they told me to lose weight, so I started early morning running, on my days off work I tend to cycle or walk everywhere as I drive for a living, I need the break from it, I recently started going to the gym too

I used to be in a basketball team before my health problems have been discovered.

that being said, I don't do it anymore because my health doesn't allow me. sometimes I only use a bike, but I have to be careful even with it.

ArchangelAlbatross

I despise organised exercise.  Especially group sports.  I keep in shape working on my farm, landscaping, gardening, remodeling, goofing off outside.  And cycling.

LadyWallflower

I realize I forgot to vote for cycling. :( At the moment my bike is damaged because of the earthquake, so I suppose I'm not doing so at the moment, but I love cycling.

I like sports a lot! I injured myself when I was younger, though, so I have to be careful. At the same time, if I don't exercise at all, my injury and pain gets worse. Inactivity is actually very bad for me and my pain.

Flexibility, stretching and simple yoga is the most important to my health. Stress tenses me up and gives me pain. Flexibility and stretching is so important. People always underestimate how important this is!

My favorite sports are cycling, swimming, hiking, dancing, and exercise. I love to hike in nature, and feel close to nature. It always makes me so happy! I like dancing, particularly Irish Step Dancing. I'm not good at modern dancing. I like swimming a lot as well. As for exercise, I often follow YouTube in my house as a form of exercise. I like Fitness Blender and Blogilates.

My goal is to one day learn how to cross country ski!

Semiterrestrial Scientist

I currently don’t participate in any sports. I would like to try kickboxing and jujitsu though. I am not a sporty person and have never really been a sporty person. I want to do kickboxing because I like hitting things and jujitsu because it was recommended for me.

For number 6, it's kind of all of the above. Mostly I hate exercise.

I don't go out and do sport to do sport, or exercise to exercise, I go on long walks though, but they aren't to stay fit so I don't push myself on them, I just walk for hours because I like wondering for hours and thinking. Some people see going on walks as exercise, I don't really know what to see it as (because I associate physical exercise with pushing yourself and not just moving around, and when walking I don't really push myself), so if you see walking at a normal pace for hours as exercise, then I exercise about 4-9 hours a week or so, if you don't consider walking at a normal pace exercise, then I don't exercise.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:57 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I've easily halved my calorie intake, it didn't make any difference.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:17 PM, Giwreh said:

physics and physiology, are bound to mathematical laws.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Are you implying I haven't halved my calorie intake?

That's not what Giwreh is saying. He says that if you halve your calorie intake, then your physiology will be different. Guaranteed. So saying that it didn't make any difference is not the full story. Are you saying you're not losing weight? If so, than the implication is that you use less energy than before, to match your lower energy intake.

For me, I don't do sports because it gets me thinking about so many different things about food, what's inside the food I am eating, etc. It triggers me a lot and I guess it is something that can be worked on, but it's hard for me to commit every time because I always find a loophole into stopping. I remember in my senior year of high school I moved to the state I live in now and I had to do a gym course or I wasn't allowed to graduate. I literally begged the school and everything and they would not budge even knowing that exercise was a trigger for me, so that sucks. Every time I think about exercising I get triggered to that and also other past experiences with gym. It just makes me sad how it is still mandatory in many schools to go to the gym or take gym class because that is super triggering for people struggling with eating and going through eating disorders. But yeah that's why it's hard for me to even think about exercising. 

My grandparents have illnesses or conditions now which could have been maybe prevented if they were more physically active. When I see them suffering a bit, that gives me the prompt to take exercise seriously. 

On average I do 3 hours a week. I don't go to gyms as they can be really nasty if you ever want to leave.

1 hour ago, Chloe88 said:

I don't go to gyms as they can be really nasty if you ever want to leave.

Can they? :blink: Do you mean they don't want to let you cancel your membership, or do you mean they physically lock you in the gym and won't let you out the door because they expect you to live there and exercise all the time? :lol:

5 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

My grandparents have illnesses or conditions now which could have been maybe prevented if they were more physically active. When I see them suffering a bit, that gives me the prompt to take exercise seriously. 

I feel the same. Sadly, all of my grandparents have passed away now, but I don't recall any of them being particularly healthy or active. Most of them suffered from illnesses/conditions that were most likely lifestyle-related to some extent. I don't want that to be me. Oh, wait. I already developed fatty liver disease in my early 20s, so I've already been there...

Personally, I think that exercise is very important. I'm not much of a fan of team sports, tho. I prefer things that I can do on my own. I tried a few classes, but groups are not my thing. I used to have a gym membership, but it's so much easier and cheaper to buy the equipment and have a home gym. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone else hate running but love the way they feel after a run cuz that's pretty much the extent of my exercise.

45 minutes ago, AceyMacey said:

Does anyone else hate running but love the way they feel after a run cuz that's pretty much the extent of my exercise.

Yes I do!

A happy fizzy feeling

• 1 month later...

I am a gymnastics teacher and do several hours of gymnastics every day, including weekends and holidays.

Once or twice a week I swim, but not for competition, I use my bicycle a lot, but transportation only, and I like hiking - we live in the mountains surrounded by forests.

I hate all organized sports. I am extremely uncoordinated and was forced to participate as a child because everyone had to but I was bullied horribly because I was so bad at it. I cannot now even be in the same room as a TV playing a sports event without  being triggered. I do like walking through nature though.

I walk like 10 hours a week and work in a thrift shop where I lift all kind of furniture from the back to the store and back and lift stuff in peoples cars.

I mostly walk because it keeps my mentally and physically healthy, but also because I like the woods and walking thru it.

I also participate in: shooting spot (precision air riffle shooting), motor sport (off-road quad driving) and thinking sport (chess and stuff) but I don't think those are real sports.

• 1 month later...

I dance about fifteen hours a week and at the moment that's the extent of my exercise. Last year I discovered that I enjoy cycling, and at the end of last summer I bought a bike, but unfortunately I have yet to ride it because I've been too apprehensive to go on a ride alone and I'm also not entirely sure how to work the gears and everything... and I'd like to know about general bike maintenance. Something I need to work towards. 😊

I'd like to taking more swimming classes, since I very much enjoy swimming. I might do that in the summer when the temperatures are ferocious. I'd like to get into weight-lifting, maybe take a class, so I can not feel like such a fool at the gym.

My job also has me walking through the entire store a lot and lifting 30-50 lbs boxes on a semi-regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I do sports but I also don't. I work at a gym so I'll work out once in a while but I will also just not do enough to be considered a workout

@Just Dani I really does depend on the gym, the first gym I worked at, I was purely childcare and didn't like to hours or many of the coworkers but at the new one, There are better hours, pay and coworkers. I can either work with out coworkers for a shift or just one or two. My first job there were at least two others and I didn't get along with them very much.

Archived