Why does most advice try to make me the jerk?

glyders

On 8/26/2018 at 8:12 PM, Scottthespy said:

I am shocked that you would get 'have an affair' advice from professionals...that's disturbing.

Why is that? What’s the other option? Let me guess....just leave or tolerate it?

On 11/17/2018 at 7:49 AM, Alone with someone said:

1. Engage in masterbation more: 

A better analogy that I have is that sex is like a conversation between two bodies. Masturbation is like talking to yourself. Who wants to talk to yourself all the time?

2. Try an open relationship:

Most spouses don’t agree to this. They’d rather say “I don’t want sex and thus you aren’t having sex either”.

3. Find a sexual compromise: 

By definition of asexuality, it’s impossible to find a compromise. You might have some sex here and there but you’ll never have sex with someone who wanted to.

4. Leave

But you won’t be leaving just you sexless marriage you’ll be leaving your life as you know it including your children, house and anything else you can think of.

5. Learn to readjust where your sense of fulfillment comes from: This is my favorite. I’m sorry but this particular statement is just as selfish as me looking at an ace and saying “find a way to feel sexually aroused.” Those of us who are sexual, are wired to be sexual, the same way an asexual person is wired to not be sexual. We can try to learn to live with out it, but we can’t just take up tennis to fill that physical need. 

I agree with you completely.

Oh come on James... I just watched a documentary on Ted Bundy- serial killer.  Now those were some of the “worst crimes” I can imagine.  Even I must put my sexless marriage into perspective:  the desire to have sex for children only can be called selfish, self centered and greedy.  This is hurtful, sure, but not a “crime”.... caused me years of confusion and pain, but didn’t break me or cause me physical & permanent pain.  You are angry- just as I was.  You are dramatizing in a somewhat entertaining and brow raising fashion....😝  You are disillusioned perhaps, with marriage.  Asexual people are CAPABLE of feeling, showing and expressing love for their mates, unfortunately not the forms we so often desire and need.  Each of us have choices to make- whether some of us choose to attempt a  “compromise” is a personal decision.  Just as my “ decision” to seek sex outside of this marriage was a personal and long thought out decision.  My choice. My burden.  My relief.

2 hours ago, SusannaC said:

caused me years of confusion and pain,

And will you get those years back? How much will a divorce set you back? I know in the uk it’s fairly traditional for mum to retain any children, the house (because she has the children) and receive child maintenance meaning often, if a man decides to leave he literally financially cripples himself. Nice choices there!  And for what? Because after the children were born an asexual person announces that they no longer wish to participate in sex because they have their children!

Maybe not Ted Bundy but it’s a fairly expensive and cruel deception that can and does take years of someone’s life.

The true definition of a choice should be making a decision about what you want to do.

When someone removes sex you are left with options to choose from. You choose from what’s left and it’s not a true choice it’s picking the best of the worst options left. 

@James121 have you talked to a therapist? A lawyer? Talked to your partner about asexuality or your unhappiness with sexual rejection? Tried couples therapy? Have you investigated how trapped you actually are? It feels like you spend a lot of time on AVEN using your experience as evidence for opinions but say nothing about trying various things to improve your situation. It sometimes seems like you're committed to throwing a perpetual personal pity party.

I suspect James is angry because he must make a choice from the above stated undesirable options.  For some of us (myself included), acting on my choices took Years.  Anger, resentment, bargaining, denial- all came before.  

1 hour ago, James121 said:

And will you get those years back? How much will a divorce set you back? I know in the uk it’s fairly traditional for mum to retain any children, the house (because she has the children) and receive child maintenance meaning often, if a man decides to leave he literally financially cripples himself. Nice choices there!  And for what? Because after the children were born an asexual person announces that they no longer wish to participate in sex because they have their children!

How is that different from any other incompatibility (including just plain “falling out of love”) that ends a marriage?

My partner made the choice for me and here the laws don’t favor the woman so I’m being set back so far financially that I will never recover.  While you can bet I don’t like it, it’s hardly a crime.

Sometimes - a lot of times, from the divorce stats - we enter into partnerships we expect will be lifelong, and then conduct our lives as though those partnerships are lifelong, and then they’re... not.  We get burned.  It sucks but that’s often life.

I wonder how many couples, where one person jumps out of the closet and find themselves belonging better in the homosexual community, will stay together. It seems quite a normal reaction, to leave and start a new life and end the old. In most cases, sexuality is a drive towards something/someone. It would even be odd to expect a homosexual to keep having vanilla heterosexual sex, even if they still love that person.

...but sometimes a solution needs to be found, in order for both to stay and to stay sane and happy. To me, it is important that my wife wants to help with finding the best solution and wants to work on keeping us as a loving couple.

Not all people are able to find a compromise such as yours, Mr Dane.  You are blessed in this way, to have a wife who also truly wants to make a happy marriage for BOTH.  Perhaps you’ve communicated effectively or she is more willing to hear....who knows... but for many such endings aren’t always possible.

29 minutes ago, MrDane said:

I wonder how many couples, where one person jumps out of the closet and find themselves belonging better in the homosexual community, will stay together. It seems quite a normal reaction, to leave and start a new life and end the old. In most cases, sexuality is a drive towards something/someone. It would even be odd to expect a homosexual to keep having vanilla heterosexual sex, even if they still love that person.

...but sometimes a solution needs to be found, in order for both to stay and to stay sane and happy. To me, it is important that my wife wants to help with finding the best solution and wants to work on keeping us as a loving couple.

I researched this almost immediately, and found the Straight Spouses Network. http://www.straightspouse.org/test-2-home/faq/coming-out-disclosure-suspicion/questions-about-staying-together/

It didn't seem very useful for ace/allo... but it seems like there must be a lot of experiences out there.... In the case of homosexuality, if someone is clearly attracted to the other gender, yeah -- it's hard to imagine sustaining sexuality! And from what I saw on that site, they do usually quit sexual relations (with each other) if they stay married. But also, the rate of staying together isn't high -- presumably a gay spouse wants to find a same sex partner.

On the other hand, someone who continues to "compromise" while exclusively seeking same-sex relations outside the marriage seems likely to identify as "bisexual" but behaving like a "compromising mostly homosexual". I wonder what's what here, and if such behaviors end up influencing the identities a spouse identifies with.

And... I wouldn't want to sustain sex if I knew my partner found other people attractive... and NOT me. If it were a gender thing, I'd be happy to make a switch. Sad laugh. Oh well.

Also... I don't think I've seen mixed gay/straight couples talk about the split attraction model and whether a gay partner was bi or hetero romantic. I think I'd be interested in hearing them reflect on that!

18 hours ago, James121 said:

Why is that? What’s the other option? Let me guess....just leave or tolerate it?

Talking with your partner and working out a solution that works for both of you, like mature adults? Open relationships, toy usage, hiring of a prostitute, there are so many options other than 'cheat'. If you're lying and getting emotionally and/or sexually involved with other people without your partner's knowledge, that relationship is already over, there's no trust there. Leaving so both partners can be true to themselves is a mature decision, cheating is childish and damaging to everyone involved. Its not even an option.

6 hours ago, Scottthespy said:

Open relationships,

So everything a marriage isn’t supposed to be?

toy usage

So have sex with a piece of rubber?

hiring of a prostitute

Are you actually kidding me? I’m married but I have to hire a prostitute!

that relationship is already over

If you have to resort to the above, then it’s arguably over. In fact the moment an asexual enters a relationship with someone who doesn’t match their sexuality it’s arguably over.

15 hours ago, ryn2 said:

How is that different from any other incompatibility (including just plain “falling out of love”) that ends a marriage?

Falling out of love means you were *in love* to begin with. It’s a change of feeling. 

How is asexuality a change of feeling? It isn’t. They are not alike as asexuality was there from the start so therefore it was different.

Falling out of love means you were *in love* to begin with. It’s a change of feeling. 

How is asexuality a change of feeling? It isn’t. They are not alike as asexuality was there from the start so therefore it was different.

Presumably at some point early in the relationship you had okay sex or you would not have stayed to begin with, so either that changed or your tolerance for going without it did.

2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Presumably at some point early in the relationship you had okay sex or you would not have stayed to begin with, so either that changed or your tolerance for going without it did.

That’s pretty much the story that most of the frustrated and confused sexual people end up on aven with. We used to and one day.....

21 minutes ago, James121 said:

That’s pretty much the story that most of the frustrated and confused sexual people end up on aven with. We used to and one day.....

...which sucks, like I said, but it’s not substantially different from the other used to/one day things that end relationships.  Things change.  Things you hope will change don’t.  It’s still not criminal.

32 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

...which sucks, like I said, but it’s not substantially different from the other used to/one day things that end relationships.  Things change.  Things you hope will change don’t.  It’s still not criminal.

I think all comes down to how much a person knew from the start. Did a true change take place or did someone just reveal who they really are down the line. If it’s the latter, I maintain it’s a deception.

6 hours ago, James121 said:

So everything a marriage isn’t supposed to be?

So have sex with a piece of rubber?

Are you actually kidding me? I’m married but I have to hire a prostitute!

If you have to resort to the above, then it’s arguably over. In fact the moment an asexual enters a relationship with someone who doesn’t match their sexuality it’s arguably over.

Not every one sees love, relationships, and marriage in the same way. There are many relationships that these things strengthen. Other partners can give insight and ideas you didn't think of, and plenty of toys are couples toys, which would allow a sex neutral asexual to pleasure their partner without getting their own bits involved. And if hiring a prostitute with the knowledge and consent of your partner while married is a terrible thing, how is cheating better? That's still you needing to go to some one else for your sex, and in this case its doing it behind your partners back. If you're going to do that, why not break up and get with the person you were going to cheat with, since you clearly have more compatibility with them?

I'm not saying all these things are for everyone...just that cheating is never an option. If open relationships don't work for you and sex is a necessity for you, yes, you should leave that relationship, because its only going to end up wearing on both partners and turn the relationship into something bitter and resentful and mistrustful. Better to leave on good terms with fond memories than waste years languishing in a festering relationship where the partners have fundamental incompatibilities. 

I think all comes down to how much a person knew from the start. Did a true change take place or did someone just reveal who they really are down the line. If it’s the latter, I maintain it’s a deception.

Suppose you’re right and your wife knew all along that she hated sex.  She was just using you to get kids and a place to live.

How does knowing that change anything for the better?  You’ve said elsewhere that you have no interest in a divorce.  If you could

somehow get an annulment because you had proof she lied, would you take all the assets and walk away?  If not, what do you actually gain versus thinking she acted in good faith too?

If you’re staying together regardless how is it better to assume the worst about one another?

1 hour ago, Scottthespy said:

I'm not saying all these things are for everyone...just that cheating is never an option. If open relationships don't work for you and sex is a necessity for you, yes, you should leave that relationship

I think the issue here is that we have to be realistic about how many people are actually willing to open their marriage up and allow their partner to seek sex elsewhere. I would bet my left leg on the percentage being incredibly low! 

So then you are left with...

Have no sex

Leave or

cheat 

Well having no sex is unfair and just as unrealistic as an asexual being expected to have sex every other day. It just doesn’t work.

Then you have leave. But you aren’t just leaving a sexless marriage you are you leaving everything. Children, house, dog, cat, financial stability, potentially friendships...

Then there’s cheat. Certainly not ideal but then again, neither are the others.

Lets reverse the leave idea for a second. The person not wanting sex goes! They leave their house, their children, their dog, cat and home comforts. That option is never even entertained on this forum because they (the refusing partner) are quite happy just to say, I don’t want sex and short of forcing someone which no one wants to do, what option do you have?

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Suppose you’re right and your wife knew all along that she hated sex.  She was just using you to get kids and a place to live.

How does knowing that change anything for the better?  You’ve said elsewhere that you have no interest in a divorce.  If you could

somehow get an annulment because you had proof she lied, would you take all the assets and walk away?  If not, what do you actually gain versus thinking she acted in good faith too?

If you’re staying together regardless how is it better to assume the worst about one another?

Well I’m speaking hypothetically because I don’t believe my wife is asexual but...

If someone who doesn’t like sex, has sex and uses another for children and then removes sex, don’t you think that’s disgraceful? I see that in the same light as someone who cannot have children, pretending they can and having sex 5 times a week with their partner for 10 years before announcing....by the way, the reason you haven’t got pregnant is...

Now you can leave if you like. Thanks for the last 10 years 👌

Any incompatibility is grounds to leave a relationship but, if you’re determined not to leave it, what good does assuming the worst about one another do?

11 minutes ago, James121 said:

I think the issue here is that we have to be realistic about how many people are actually willing to open their marriage up and allow their partner to seek sex elsewhere. I would bet my left leg on the percentage being incredibly low! 

In cases where a partner is unwilling to open the marriage, cheating is just delaying the same outcome that would happen (faster) if the other partner insisted.

7 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

In cases where a partner is unwilling to open the marriage, cheating is just delaying the same outcome that would happen (faster) if the other partner insisted.

That relies on the idea that you get caught.

People do get caught often enough that the potential outcome if they do - a breakup where, under at least some legal systems, they have put themselves at greater disadvantage - should factor into their decisions.

3 hours ago, James121 said:

I don’t believe my wife is asexual

this is just to say...

I AM SO CONFUSED NOW

😵

1 hour ago, anisotropic said:

this is just to say...

I AM SO CONFUSED NOW

😵

I once did but having learned all the things I’ve learnt here, I don’t believe she is.

6 hours ago, James121 said:

So then you are left with...

Have no sex

Leave or

cheat 

Well having no sex is unfair and just as unrealistic as an asexual being expected to have sex every other day. It just doesn’t work.

Then you have leave. But you aren’t just leaving a sexless marriage you are you leaving everything. Children, house, dog, cat, financial stability, potentially friendships...

Then there’s cheat. Certainly not ideal but then again, neither are the others.

Lets reverse the leave idea for a second. The person not wanting sex goes! They leave their house, their children, their dog, cat and home comforts. That option is never even entertained on this forum because they (the refusing partner) are quite happy just to say, I don’t want sex and short of forcing someone which no one wants to do, what option do you have?

I've both seen and advised several asexual partners in leaving the relationship. If the relationship isn't working its bad for everyone involved, including children if the parents are letting their emotional distress show. Having grown up myself as the child of people who divorced before they let the relationship turn them bitter and angry at one another, I know that a mature divorced couple make better parents than miserable ones who are still together and letting it effect how the treat each other and the children.

I agree that its never an easy situation, especially when finances or dependents and friend circles are involved, but no matter which way you look at it cheating is drastically worse than any other option. Cheating usually leads to a breakup anyway, and a much more emotionally charged one that has even worse ramifications on finances and family, and if you're willing to sleep with some one else I don't understand why you wouldn't at least talk to your partner first to see if they're open to that idea too. There is no logical or emotional defense for cheating, at its very best it's as damaging as the other options are near or at their worst. Both leaving or pursuing an open relationship at least have chances to work out favorably for all involved if you can keep a cool head and talk openly, honestly, and without spite. 

The original poster expressed that he had professional therapists telling him to cheat on his wife because she wouldn't sleep with him. My concern is that professionals are telling people the worst way of handling a situation when there are better options available. This, to me, would be like doctors recommending natural oils instead of vaccinations when asked how to prevent polio.

7 hours ago, James121 said:

You probably don't realize how awful that sounds.   

And when you do get caught (because you will), what are you going to say to whoever finds out -- which will include any number of the people you know, including all those people who you don't want to lose by divorcing?  Because they will talk with each other, and you won't be the hero.  What will you say, "It's my wife's fault I was cheating!"  

4 hours ago, James121 said:

I once did but having learned all the things I’ve learnt here, I don’t believe she is.

Oh. I wonder if that actually makes it worse for you. 😕

Archived