How can one get a boyfriend if one doesn't want sex?

Cate Perfect

Uh...I disagree with that, morbid. Usually heterosexual men aren't brilliant with being friends with lesbians (in my experience) because they're too busy trying to convert us. And when they can't they lose interest. You're either prey or they don't want to play.

Cate

One of my best friends is a gay guy. He takes me shopping.

And two of my othe friends are bi, and one is a lesbian.

I dont see any problem with having gay friends... not all gay males are attrcted to every other male, just as lesbains arent atracted to every other female in the world.

Woah, most of my friends are straight males, and I'm 100% sure they've never lusted after me, ever. Not all straight men are pigs, and it's the same with other orientations.

i got told last weekend that my perfect partner would be a bloke whos gay and just hasnt come out of the closet to his parents. :shock:

that really actually got my back up. Obviously i was chatting to a very un asexual bloke who woke up my sense of nievity by telling me that no-matter how many times a guy says 'dont worry that youre not into sex - its not a problem' ...actually is saying 'if im patient ill get my leg over eventually' .... which kinda blew my 'maybe ill be ok' bubble...

what dya guys think??

who.. the closet gay?

but my response to that..was whats the point in that.. cuz gay men arent attracted to women.. so the kisses.ect. are out of the question.. so im back to square one!

btw - that was his response to me saying 'my perfect partner would be a bi guy whos into men sexually. i get the boyfriend material, cept he gets laid elsewhere!' ...

Live R Perfect
... i was chatting to a very un asexual bloke who woke up my sense of nievity by telling me that no-matter how many times a guy says 'dont worry that youre not into sex - its not a problem' ...actually is saying 'if im patient ill get my leg over eventually' .... which kinda blew my 'maybe ill be ok' bubble...

what dya guys think??

Thats the bit I was responding to!

Live R Perfect

Dear me.... :roll:

All I was saying is that you wouldn't have to worry whether your fella was being honest about not wanting sex if he was actually asexual too.

god. i never thought of that one! an asexual boyfriend..gee-wiz! ...

lol... sorry for the sarcasm there.. ya know i didnt mean it. but yeah.. whats the likelyhood of finding an asexual bloke near me!

Live R Perfect

Who knows? There're probably a lot more of us out there than you think, Izzy. We just have to spread the word a little...

hmmmmmmmmmm....*thinks up a giant advertising scheme* ....MAYBE WE COULD BLAG IT AS A SAFE SEX CAMPAIGN. our slogan could be..

JUST .. DONT.. DO IT.

Cate Perfect

Izzy, to your friend who said all men are just trying to pull no matter what they say: I've tried to be friends with single straight men and every time they've given up when they realised I wasn't going to sleep with them or if they found someone who *would* sleep with them. This site has restored my faith in men--that they're not all jerks. AVENmen are the best! :D

So I agree with Liver, we'll just have to get the word out and find you an asexual guy.

Cate

I recommend in the end that you surround yourself with people who are stimulating company enjoyable to be around and leave expectations on the side of the road. Be yourself openly, if you are clear that no sex is involved... or ever will be... then you know that those around you respect that... If you start developping a closer relationship with any given individual... well then it's already out there in the open...

And ten minutes after you make it clear and think it's a closer relationship he sees he's going to get nowhere so goes to find someone else who'll spread for him. That's what's so frustrating. You say "not at all" and they here "not at this very moment".

And ten minutes after you make it clear and think it's a closer relationship he sees he's going to get nowhere so goes to find someone else who'll spread for him. That's what's so frustrating. You say "not at all" and they here "not at this very moment".

Yep!

That's the way it is.

Sexuals and asexuals might as well be two different species when it comes to forming and keeping close relationships.

It's a lot worse that men being from Mars and women being from Venus! .... It's more like Humans trying to relate to Vulcans!

You Trekkies know what I mean.

-Greybird

Silly Green Monkey

mmmmmmm Vulcans.... My dad was supposed part Vulcan. My mom says she's half Ferengi. I shudder to think of what I should look like.

Cate Perfect

Right. Just when I start thinking, 'FINALLY a guy who isn't like the others!' ... he turns out to be EXACTLY like the others. Gets really boring after awhile. Makes me want to wear a shirt that says, 'Impress me...don't be like everyone else.'

Cate

Editing . . . .

Yep!

That's the way it is.

Sexuals and asexuals might as well be two different species when it comes to forming and keeping close relationships.

It's a lot worse that men being from Mars and women being from Venus! .... It's more like Humans trying to relate to Vulcans!

You Trekkies know what I mean.

-Greybird

Men are from Mars.

Women are from Venus.

Elves are from Middle Earth.

Vulcans are from Vulcan.

Bajorans are from Bajor.

Isn't reality complicated? :D

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Gotta love Douglas Adams.

• 4 months later...

I agree with Liver that we should advertise the concept and acceptance of asexuality. I suspect a lot of people out there are asexual but don't realize it or are trying not to be in order to fit in. As for guys, I suspect some try to be sexual just because they're afraid if they aren't that other guys will assume they are gay and beat them up or something. Isn't prejudice grand (Heavy sarcasm)! The intricacies of human behavior and the interactions of human foibles...

You can always say that you are saving yourself. :D

This is what i am telling people right now. It is a bit of a half lie, because i leave out the part that i may never get married at all. :mrgreen:

Usually heterosexual men aren't brilliant with being friends with lesbians (in my experience) because they're too busy trying to convert us. And when they can't they lose interest. You're either prey or they don't want to play.

I am friends with a number of lesbians, and I find it much nicer with no sexual tension between us.

And getting back to the original post. How do I find a gf that isn't insulted and thinks that I'm repulsed by her, just because I don't want to have sex with her?

I'm sorry, I was referring to men who wanted sex with women. (Wowwee is this thread old.) One of the things AVEN has given me is the chance to be friends with men and not have to worry about them misinterpreting my conversation, signals, whathaveyou.

And welcome to the board. :D

Cate

I had a jokey conversation with a friend once (also asexual). We concocted an ad to put in the personals which went something along the lines of .....

"Wanted: gay man still in the closet needing fake wife to please parents. Separate bedrooms, companionship only offered."

We never ran it but it but goddam we had a good laugh!

:D

What always makes me wonder is how are these supposedly sexual people going to cope themselves when they go off the boil, sexually speaking? I mean, surely not all sexual people will still be at 'it' when they are older??????????

Umm, old people are more sexually inclined than young people. Their only problem is privacy, and partners. Most people will tell you that the older you get the better sex gets. Especially as a senior citizen. People get much less orgasm focused and start to enjoy the activity itself instead of the outcome of it.

Thought a "sexual" (as in I'm not asexual) perspective might be interesting... I tend not to worry about how my sexuality is going to be when I'm old. Partially because I don't want to grow old, for various reasons. :?