Cursing

Semiterrestrial Scientist

everywhere and nowhere

I avoid using very "hard" curses and I usually tell my friends not to use such words when talking to me.

5 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I never used to, then life happened. Now I swear all the time (though I do not swear to my snails, swearing to snails is wrong 🙁).

Then life happened. Lol

5 hours ago, Chocolatedevil00 said:

I almost never curse it just feels so unnatural to me I'll occasional do it through text but even that's rare, I don't care if other people around me do it though. As my dad always taught me "words only have have power if you give them power" 

I just have to ask, what on earth kind of dance is that? 😂

I don't really curse myself apart from if I have accidents and mishaps.

I don't mind others doing it

I usually curse in my head or when I’m alone. I used to see it as a bad thing for me to do but now I’m like screw it. I’m an adult and I’m gonna stop suppressing everything. It’s such a release now to say the f word whenever I want. 

I have no motivation to swear around other people though (and as you can see above I can’t even type swear words usually). I’ve had an occasional slip up, like when I’m drivingI don’t think it’s bad when other people do it and I don’t care at all when others are swearing around me unless it’s nonsensical swearing just to swear. For example, I personally am not a fan of every other word in a sentence being the f word. Overall now that I’ve been more accepting of it for myself I’m much more cool with it than I was in the past. 

shoshi coast

I am the opposite! When I was a young adult I used to try to be cool by cursing around my friends, but it felt really forced and fake. For me it's much more natural to not curse at all... even if I stub my toe, what naturally comes it out is something like "oh my goodness!" or "dang it!" ;)

I have a pretty chill personality, and I think for me cursing feels "angry" or "harsh". It doesn't come naturally to me.

I've picked up cursing from school, and I didn't realize how much I started cursing until someone called me out on it. I actually don't like it when other people swear and I hate when I do it especially. I'm trying to consciously choose my words so that I don't swear, though there's always that one that will slip out every now and then.

If I don't swear at least once in a sentence, I'm an impostor.

Captain_Tass
1 minute ago, Kazka said:

If I don't swear at least once in a sentence, I'm an impostor.

Who are you and what have you done to Kazka?!

(Excuse my corny joke, I had to)

1 minute ago, Life Of Tass said:

Who are you and what have you done to Kazka?!

(Excuse my corny joke, I had to)

I was hoping someone would, but I'll have you know I was shouting expletives while I was writing this, and that. :)

LadyWallflower

I don't like swearing, and I never swear. The only exception is when I am crying in the shower. Then maybe I will swear at myself, lol. But I will never curse other people.

i curse all the fucking time. curse words are just words. they add a layer of nuance to language. theyre useful when trying to express certain things.

I curse more in English than in Finnish. Maybe it's because to me English curse words don't really feel like curse words the way Finnish curse words do. Finnish curse words really feel like bad words that I'd rather avoid (except for maybe one, or a few) while English curse words are just words to me, just with a little more passion. 

Knight of Cydonia

I never curse/swear. I don't get bothered when other people do it (although, every second word being a curse is excessive and hard to listen to), but I just don't. The only time I might is when singing along to a song with a swear word in it, and even then I feel awkward about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Lady Constellation

I don't swear. It just makes me uncomfortable. I don't mind if others do it, as it's their words and their choice, but I do sometimes think it in my head when I stub my toe or I'm really frustrated with something.

I like "bloody" for an everyday word, but the F word never loses its power and it feels very expressive to me.  

Overall cursing doesn't bother me except for when it's excessive. I have a coworker who curses constantly and that can be really annoying, but overall it doesn't bother me. Personally, I only curse if I'm extremely mad, and I'll only do it if I'm in private and can curse under my breath. Some curse words I find really crude and offensive, and others I see as relatively harmless, so I guess it depends on the word too! For example, I'll say "Oh, sh*t" sometimes, but I really hate the C-word and I very rarely drop the F-bomb. 

2 hours ago, SilentRose said:

Overall cursing doesn't bother me except for when it's excessive. I have a coworker who curses constantly and that can be really annoying, but overall it doesn't bother me. Personally, I only curse if I'm extremely mad, and I'll only do it if I'm in private and can curse under my breath. Some curse words I find really crude and offensive, and others I see as relatively harmless, so I guess it depends on the word too! For example, I'll say "Oh, sh*t" sometimes, but I really hate the C-word and I very rarely drop the F-bomb. 

Yeah, the C-word is one I never liked.  Regardless of the meaning of the word on its own, tbh.  It's just such a... sharp and harsh sounding word when it's said aloud and I hate that about it.  It could be the nicest compliment ever and I'd still dislike it.

I’m always swearing, makes up at least 15% of my words each day, at a minimum. Not directed towards people really but can be.

I find The Thick Of It to be easy to associate with.

17 minutes ago, Bronztrooper said:

Yeah, the C-word is one I never liked.  Regardless of the meaning of the word on its own, tbh.  It's just such a... sharp and harsh sounding word when it's said aloud and I hate that about it.  It could be the nicest compliment ever and I'd still dislike it.

I use it quite often, probably daily, not towards anyone though, unless I happen to be trading swears with my brother.

• 2 months later...

I see no problem with it. Like with any other type of language, the only problem is when you start hurling insults, but that can be done with or without cursing. I often refrain because some people get upset about it, especially if there are children around or if you're in a 'professional/formal setting'. I don't want to get into the habit of something that'll bite me in the ass later on.

In my head, often. Out loud, almost never. I don't curse except maybe a word or two every few months, lol. I generally don't mind other people doing it at home or in a casual setting, but my reactions range from squicked to infuriated in children's schools or during ceremonies or something. I feel sick to my stomach when my younger siblings curse, but I am aware that I overreact, so I don't get onto people or anything holier-than-thou. Hearing some words generally just makes me nervous, but I accept that they are common language.

I never curse, unless I get really angry.

I swear all. the. time. It's very cathartic. This usually takes people by surprise because I don't look like the kind of person who would swear but whatever. They can mind their own damn business.

I nearly never curse. I don't care if other people do, but when you go overload on them it can make you look dumb, like you have nothing important to say but you want to talk so you drag if out. But in order to look dumb you really have to overuse it, not just once per sentence.

I don't mind other people cursing, but I have never done it myself. I honestly don't know how to. Even when I try, I just can't get the words out. I'm weird 😐

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I never cast curses on people. Only charms and enchantments. Bad joke, I'm sorry.

But seriously though, I rarely ever curse out loud. And that's on top of the fact that I rarely even speak out loud. Social awkwardness for the... awkward.

Archived