Cursing

Semiterrestrial Scientist

Semiterrestrial Scientist

I don’t know how to make an actual question thingy so I’ll just ask. What is your opinion on cursing? How often do you curse? How do you feel about other around you cursing? 

Bronztrooper

I tend to curse fairly often and overall, I'm fine with cursing so long as it's not directed towards me in an insulting manner.  I've grown up hearing my dad curse quite often so it's something I'm used to.

I generally refrain from it around other people. If I'm alone and something really frustrates me I may do it. For example where I exist perfectly straight roads can suddenly change their name. This makes it really hard to navigate, especially when you are late and don't know where you are. Fortunately I'm alone in the car and all the windows are up. I generally tolerate other people and it takes a lot to really annoy me. How other people treat my friends does have an impact on me though. 

Purple Wanderer

Swearing in newer, more convoluted and ingenious ways is one of my favourite passtimes

To make a poll, go to edit your post and switch from the Content tan to Poll. If on mobile, you'll have to click the arrow next to Content and choose Poll. Choose a title for the poll (or if you don't, the first question will automatically become the poll title). Click Add Question and put a title and options for each question. Add as many questions as you want, and then submit. 

I hardly ever curse out loud, though I do in my head. I use swear words in my posts only occasionally, and tend to censor them. I don't mind a little cursing, but I don't like overly vulgar language.

EmotionalAndroid

I never swear aloud, though I do think the words in my head or mouth them when I am by myself. My mom is always trying to get me to swear, but I refuse to.

While I don't swear, I am not opposed to it. Most of the videos I watch on youtube are riddled with foul language and I often find it funny in Let's Play videos. The strange thing is that I am really taken aback when I hear someone swear in "real life." I don't mind it in videos, but it kind of weirds me out and sometimes scares me if I hear it in person -- especially if the person swearing is yelling.

One thing that I will never get used to is how often the "f" word is tossed around in the workplace. I think it's entirely unprofessional, but maybe it only happens where I work...which isn't the epitome of professionalism, to be sure.

Captain_Tass

I swear a lot. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. However, it's not directed towards anyone and it's impersonal. I swear at nothing when I'm angry, I swear at nothing when I'm scared and I swear at nothing when I'm excited about something. I call my best friend "ρε μαλάκα" all the time and she does the same, there's absolutely no hostility involved, it's just our (and many other Greeks') way of saying "bro". We have recognised that we can't help it so we curse away at nothing together.

I'm absolutely fine with cursing, as long as it's not directed towards me at an offensive manner, as @Bronztrooper said.

I tend to curse out loud only when I'm really upset/passionate. It's not a common part of my language. 

Cursing doesn't bother me unless it's intentionally derogatory towards someone. Like an insult. Or when people are hardcore fighting and cursing. I don't like it then. 

I curse a lot more online than I do in person, mostly referring to my twitter, because I'm usually either REALLY excited or REALLY angry when I tweet (and it's not a reply to someone else), so I curse more often. 

"Frickle-fracking" is my immediate go to instead of f*cking, and I usually say that instead, but I do use the f word.

WinterWanderer

I don't curse much. Growing up, my parents were against it, so I didn't curse. Not because I thought it was bad, but because I just never developed the habit. I didn't swear at all until I was maybe twenty-one. I do curse every now and then, like when I do something stupid, or when another driver does something stupid. 😛 I don't really curse in front of other people, though.

Life With Masks

I've grown up hearing all types of swearing. When I was younger, I remember vividly that I used to swear a lot, but growing up I hardly ever verbalize cursing words, though I might feel like saying them. People must find it funny, as I often appear overly polite. I feel as if swearing has no purpose whatsoever, and much prefer to explain my discomfort indirectly or mostly refrain from talking about it. Nevertheless, it depends on the social context. When I’m acting in social occasions, I must say with confidence I hardly ever cursed, as to not upset anyone. When I’m comfortable, such as in a familiar environment or online, I might swear, but do not apply words that are too harsh , and it’s mostly not directed to anyone, just the situation in general, since things I regard as such small might in fact upset someone without me realizing.

As for other people cursing, most of the time, I actually find it quite funny, depending on the situation and context. I feel like it might be a stress reliever. It's just a generalization, however, outside of cursing as a stress reliever, I'm opposed to cursing towards people with the intent of deprecation.

I tend to agree with my dad’s opinion of saving swear words for when you really need them. If you swear all day every day, what do you say when you drop a brick on your foot? 

I try to avoid it. If others do it in anger it makes me uncomfortable but if it’s more of an exclamation or we’re joking with each other (althoug excessive f-word in pretty much all situatons makes me uncomfortable).

I whisper curse if I’m alone and something happens.

Even then they’re the “mild” curses.

53 minutes ago, Lichley said:

I tend to agree with my dad’s opinion of saving swear words for when you really need them. If you swear all day every day, what do you say when you drop a brick on your foot? 

Then you swear really LOUD🤬:P

I tend to curse quite a lot when I am by myself, it feels therapeutic. I try to refrain from it when I'm around people I don't know or at work, although I still do it sparingly when the situation allows. When I'm with my friends or drunk I just let the words come.

Other people swearing by itself doesn't bother me, but if I can tell they are genuinely angry at something at the same time it might make me feel uncomfortable.

I curse pretty frequently. I'm actually part of the VIP group for a facebook page for a company called Metal Marvels whose main product is bangles embossed with profanity. I own like 8 of the bangles and my favorite is "Be a Good Fucking Human."  Cursing doesn't bother me. It's just a word and I totally subscribe to the theory that cussing helps with stress levels. 

My parents cuss a lot but yell at me for saying as much as damn.

Cussing's not creative enough to be effective though, lol. I like coming up with my own curse words and insults. So much more funny to see people's reactions to "what the cake" "oh fartballs" and "son of a butternut squash" than to just "f**king arsehole" or something.

Occasionally I'll combine made up insults with real ones, like "asswad farthole" or "dickface piss dingus" 

Also... 

Magical naughty words are always fun to use!!! Can't believe they did "son of a banshee" instead of "son of a snitch" though.

I've always been fascinated with how society perceives swear words. Like how 'belly' was extremely vulgar in Victorian times or the history of 'fuck'. Or even how normal words in one culture are vulgar in another such as 'shag' being a type of dance in the US but in the UK it's vulgar slang for sex.

I curse, I wish I didn't but I've only started to in the last year really. Cause of these past few years being the worst of my life and changing me quite a bit.

I don't mind it typically unless it's an insult. But in the end even if I try to avoid saying them I still see them as just words that society is bothered by for some reason.

I cuss all the time, I even do it at work sometimes(albeit quietly).

I definitely inherited that habit from my dad. xD

nothinbuttrouble
7 hours ago, SuperAceLogician said:

What is your opinion on cursing? How often do you curse? How do you feel about other around you cursing? 

Pro cursing though it's not special- people seem to think it makes you funnier or means you're a certain kind of

person- oh, shit, maybe there's something to that, lol

I'm kidding, sorta. I'm an 'every other word' curser, have been for around 18 years or so, not really sure how it

happened except that my parents cursed a lot, all the time, for no good reason- and I think that may have formed

a speech pattern for me, the same way a kid picks up an accent

I curse so much that other people comment on it, and even people I've known for years sometimes complain about it.

Even the ones who think that cursing is cool- it's like they like the idea of offending other people but when faced with

the reality of what it's like to be a real garbage mouth, they're still alarmed.

I don't think cursing is cool (in the sense that some people think so you must be some sort of retard badass, right? EMPHASIS ON RETARD)

I actually wondered for a long time why I do it so much and thought maybe I should try

to stop or cut back, because it isn't doing anything good for me, but is obviously doing some bad (upsetting/alarming

other people)

But then I realized the reason I do it

it feels FUCKING AWESOME

FUCKIDDY FUCK FUCK FUCKIN WOW TYPE AWESOME

no, really

say it out loud mutherfucker

Grumpy Alien

I curse a lot. Idgaf

Swearing is fuckin' caring! :D

It's a sound only possible due to our vocal chords and because we have an atmosphere that can actually conduct soundwaves. Sometimes said soundwaves happen to carry hostile intent. It's mostly irrelevant when used at me but it can occassionally be satisfying to use when no other words bring justice to a situation. Conduit for emotions and all that.

Without an atmosphere none of it would be possible so I guess that means use it if you've got it.

Thing is one person's swear word is another's emphasising pronoun 

Ms. Carolynne

I refrain from swearing around people that may not be comfortable with it. I'm generally uncomfortable with swearing in public.

However, I do swear casually, usually for emphasis and humor. A fair bit actually, but only if I'm comfortable with the people I'm around, and when it wouldn't be considered offensive.

Basically my policy is that there's a time and place for everything when it comes to coarse language. I've managed to shock a lot of people though, because I won't swear in public or around people I don't know well, so they get the impression my language is virtually sterile.

I will note however I used to have quite the sailor mouth growing up, I was a vulgar little shit 😛 It didn't help that I had some anger issues growing up, so my language was much more volatile.

Anthracite_Impreza

I never used to, then life happened. Now I swear all the time (though I do not swear to my snails, swearing to snails is wrong 🙁).

I almost never curse it just feels so unnatural to me I'll occasional do it through text but even that's rare, I don't care if other people around me do it though. As my dad always taught me "words only have have power if you give them power" 

9 hours ago, Lonely Mudkip said:

'shag' being a type of dance in the US 

I just have to ask, what on earth kind of dance is that? 😂

Grumpy Alien

Ive only known shag to be a type of carpet in the US.

Fantastic Name

I only curse out loud on accident or when it's really necessary. Most of the swearing I do goes on in my head. (My internal monologue puts sailors to shame!) How much swearing I can tolerate really depends on the person and the situation.

RoseGoesToYale

I used to not curse at all, now if I'm by myself or around friends, fucking 50% of it is curse words. I add emphasis to curse words with "everliving", e.g. "What the everliving hell was that?!" I don't care if other people curse. My entire middle school experience was every other kid in the class spouting every bad word while the pastor's back was turned.

Archived