For the sexuals and everybody, honest opinion: Is sex really all that great?

Tyger Songbird

Hm.  I don’t really see the two as and v. or.

The chain would be a clear or.  A failure of any link breaks the chain.  The failed link has no effect on the other links, nor do they have any effect on the failed link.  A failure in any area is a complete failure.

The rope is still initially an or, in that the failure of any strand affects the whole rope.  Unlike the chain, though, the failure of one strand affects each of the others.  The remaining strands may be strong enough to hold the load, or they may not.  Either way, the overall rope is weaker than it was before.

You could potentially see the rope as an and in the sense that all strands must fail before the rope fails.  I see the failing rope as a multiphase failure, where each failing strand further weakens the others until - in a subsequent phase - the whole rope is destroyed.

From a relationship standpoint, to me, the chain is more of a “dealbreaker” situation.  A dealbreaker happens/doesn’t happen, and the relationship ends.  The rope, to me, better represents the complexity of all the different things you need to stay in love with someone.  If any one is removed, the others have to make up for it.  It’s most likely - after one aspect fails/withers/goes away - that you will gradually fall out of love over time, but it’s not a sudden thing like a dealbreaker would be.

Archived