Do you identify with the Rainbow sex/gender spectrum

JoyEngland

Rant alert

Thank (fill in your favourite diety) that June is coming to a close and that Toronto's Pride parade is today. I don't know if my hostility towards the month is that I'm getting older or that it's the complete opposite to my identity. 'Yes, I'm not straight. Yes, I'm asexual. Yes I'm a virgin at 61, but I don't need to tell the entire (fill in the blank) world.' 

Every night on every news boradcast (multiple channels) there is a story revolving some aspect of the LGBTQ+ community and not one mention about asexuality. I only saw two examples of what some would call 'gaywashing' this year. The first was the other day when I used a ABM, the first two screen backgrounds were the Pride and trans flags. So I get half a percent more on my savings if I tell them (and explain) that I'm asexual? What does being LGBTQ+ have to do with one's banking? The second was one of our networks had their logo in rainbow colours. Enough already! If I'm supposed part of the community and can't stand this oversatuation, I can't imagine what straight folks with no real opinion on the matter think.

Trigger warning: language and opinion

Spoiler

When a friend here shared it to me, I thought, 'She has some balls talking like that'. When I found out about asexuality and identified as asexual back in 2005, I was quite happy and content with that knowledge. I didn't feel that it was 'news' to share. It wasn't until 2017 that I came out to 'someone', not the world. In the time since, I've told about 10 people and that will probably be it.

• Like 2